Worst Tasting/Least Favorite Breakfast Cereal

Not trying to change your mind, but Go Lean Crunch! isn’t bad.

If you think those cereals are bad, well–have you tried churros?

I once felt the same way as you do, until I learned how to properly cook grits. That tasteless goop they serve in a breakfast diner is not the right way to do it. Allow me to elaborate…

If you were to take potatoes and boil them in plain water, then mash them without adding any salt, cheese, milk, etc, it would be pretty bland. But that’s not how most people make mashed potatoes; they add all sorts of good tasting stuff, like butter, cream or milk, cheese, salt. Well, that’s essentially the same reason you don’t like grits - people for some reason think making grits means you boil dry grits in plain water then serve…

If you were to instead use a good chicken stock instead of just plain water, and season it properly with salt and pepper, and add butter and cheddar cheese, and maybe chopped up freshly cooked bacon or sausage, I guarantee you would reconsider how you feel about grits.

I seriously used to think grits were the worst breakfast food fathomable, but now I could eat them every day if it weren’t for the fact that they take time to cook and aren’t exactly healthy once you’re done adding all the tasty ingredients.

“No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.”

Apple Jacks might be my least favorite cereal that’s supposed to be a sweet, tastes-good kind of treat. Weird, undefinable, and unpleasant.

My absolute least favorite, though, is quick-cooking steel cut oats. Yes, I realize steel cut oats take a while. Deal with it. This shortcut stuff is horrible. They seem to mix a bit of oat dust into somewhat-smaller-than-normal cut oats. You wind up with oats that still taste a little undercooked and toothy glued together with a flavorless damp past. Awful.

I’m not interested in your weird taste buds. :smiley:

The box used to prominently say “A Natural Laxative”. Gee, thanks for reminding everyone of that first thing in the morning.

Roman Meal, All Bran, and Grape Nuts IMNSHO aren’t supposed to be eaten as breakfast cereal; they’re to be used in bread and muffin recipes.

I can’t think of any breakfast cereal that genuinely tasted so bad that I personally wouldn’t eat it.

ETA: A reference to biscuit-sized Shredded Wheat reminded me of Weetabix. I loved Shredded Wheat, although I prefer spoon-sized, but I am no fan of Weetabix.

I then proceeded to read the rest of the thread, and discovered that I’ve already posted here back when it was brand new.

:cool:

Clackers - Tasted like Graham Crackers (no, it didn’t). Consistency of corrugated cardboard. Took 1/2 bag of sugar to make it sweet enough to “eat.” Commercials were the best thing about it. I’d bet a quatloo nobody else remembers this foulness. Be honest.

You folks dissing scrapple better watch your backs. :mad:

I love almost all cereals: Cap’n Crunch, Grape Nuts, Cocoa Pebbles, Cracklin’ Oat Bran (which is surprisingly packed with tons of saturated fat). But I hate Kix and Wheaties. Bland and tasteless. I also dislike regular Raisin Bran because the flakes turn to newspaper the instant they get wet. I miss the old Crispy Wheats and Raisins which had some sort of sugary sealant brushed on the flakes. So I make do with Raisin Bran Crunch which has similarly treated flakes.

Thanks to whoever mentioned Alpha Bits cereal up thread. I loved that cereal; now I have to see if they sell it anywhere online.

This thread is making me feel like a weirdo!

My favorite cereals- Shredded Wheat (big biscuits, plain) and Grape Nuts. If I am feeling the need for sweetness, I’ll do Cinnamon Toast Crunch. My favorite cereal growing up was Product 19, which I don’t think they make any more (at least, it isn’t on the shelves around here).

I’m not a big fan of warm/hot cereals, but I will do oatmeal plain or with a spoonful of molasses mixed in.

My absolute least favorite cereal is puffed rice. Can’t even place a brand name for it, but I just remember it was puffy cereal made of rice. Taste and texture both turned me completely off. Even now I feel disgust welling up just at the thought of it.

[Edited because I discovered I said the exact same thing about Weetabix in this thread already. (See Post #34.)]

I’m with ya’, man. Let’s go after 'em.:rolleyes:

Grape Nuts. Just like organic gravel.

Bill & Ted’s Excellent Breakfast Cereal.

Bogus. Heinous. Most non-triumphant.

I remember Arsenio Hall once bringing out a bowl of it for Alex Winter when he was on as a guest. Hee hee.

Cookie Crisp. They changed the recipe from when I was a kid. I refuse to believe otherwise. When I was a kid in the 80s they tasted like COOKIES GDI. Now they taste like…hell I don’t even know but what a huge disappointment.

Did this happen to everyone? Even as a kid I thought:“Why can’t they soften those hard corners or take some of the acid out of the formula, or whatever it is that slices up your mouth?”

And if you eat Weetabix and want to heat it or put honey on it or any preparation, keep in mind: from the time the first drop of milk touches it until it turns into wheat gruel is 33 seconds. You need to pour with one hand, with your spoon poised with the other.

I love it (but then I equate it with a trip to London and a little hotel in the Cotswolds. So I feel Quite British as I have it with a spot of marmalade…)

Oh, man, I loved Cookie Crisp when it had the burglar on the box. And I agree that nearly every breakfast cereal tastes markedly different to my adult taste buds than it did to kid me. I think some of it is changed recipes but probably more is just that I’m a lot older and have different taste preferences. I remember some scientific study where they tried to see how sweet children would like their food and to their surprise, kids would just keep adding sugar until it precipitated out of solution. You literally couldn’t make it too sweet for them. Those were the days.

Yeah, but now it’s all HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!