[QUOTE=Furious_Marmot]
In the mid-sized category, I nominate Oklahoma City. While numerous rustbelt cities outrank it in the more concrete terms of pollution, economic malaise, crime, and hopelessness, OKC is on top when it comes to the less tangible aspects of misery. I used to think that most people’s complaints about the USA were exaggerated or unfounded, then I came here. This city is a near-perfect distillation of all the bad parts of American culture, a warped microcosm, if you will. “Highbrow” culture is nearly non-existent. “Lowbrow” culture is either of the Wayne Newton/Riverdance variety, or restricted to a small number of venues and generally on weeknights (the worthwhile bands are just stopping over between real gigs). The food is so appallingly bad it deserves a pitting. The roads are in horrible condition, which is especially distressing considering that the climate isn’t terribly hard on pavement. Most overpasses are literally falling apart and many shudder palpably as traffic passes under them. It’s a minimum 5 hour drive to anywhere good. The schools are terrible, the cost of living is middling, and the taxes are high (not like New York, but ridiculous considering how little service the taxpayers get). The biggest tourist attraction is the federal building bombing memorial. The locals are fat, intolerant, lazy, willfully ignorant, poorly educated, sentimental, crass, self-deluding, fat, provincial, big talkers, wasteful, puerile, dishonest, materialistic, fat, and bad drivers. The most depressing thing is the phoniness of it all: fake cowboys, fake punks, fake moral outrage, fake Hummers, fake hairdos, fake breasts, fake piety. If you like anything besides college sports and country music, save yourself the trouble and go someplace else.
[/QUOTE]
Well, being sentimental is not so bad.
But I know what you mean about OK City. In fact, it’s not just the city, but rather the whole friggin’ state! Many times in my long-ago youth, I had occasion to drive the entire length of Oklahoma, journeying between the Texas panhandle and Arkansas. I’ve always thought that if I had to live anywhere in Oklahoma, I would slit my wrists.