Would bonobos mate with humans?

Bonobo males, like human males, appear to be willing to stick their penises into any hole that presents itself. I doubt you’d have to go to much effort to get one to initiate anything.

That reminds me that we should reclassify the Linnean name from Pan Paniscus, to Pan Promiscuous :wink:

Well, Pansexual means " expressing or involving sexuality in many different forms or with a variety of sexual outlets." Frans de Waal said it was the perfect way to describe Bonobo sexuality.

Not really. Chimps and bonobos are a variety of the genus Pan, and neither can be claimed to be a variety of the other. Bonobos are a variety of ape, like we are. You wouldn’t, for instance, say that Neanderthals were a variety of Sapiens-- unless you’re a lumper. :slight_smile:

That rationale, however prevalent, is complete bovine excrement. If “animals are unable to consent to sexual activity,” then how does society propose to explain their survival over these many, many years? Are the original ones immortal? Did they reproduce in vitro at the behest of the magnanimous aliens from Galacticus Prime? Or does society perhaps advocate the belief that animals’ reproduction should be prohibited because they don’t pay taxes, or can’t vote, or something?

Interesting question, perhaps; but probably because no one is allowed to find the answer due to “moral” implications.

I don’t know whether bonobos would engage in physical intimacy with humans if given the opportunity. What I’m fairly convinced of, however, is that we will never find out because we’re too stupid to do so. We’ll wonder, but be content to wonder forever, lest someone get the wrong idea about our motives.

That’s not fighting ignorance, that’s entrenching it.

Of course, they can be mean little bastards.

Those were chimps, not bonobos btw.

Yes, but I wouldn’t advise dating either of them.
Especially if she had a jealous boyfriend.
:slight_smile:

I went back to the wikipedia article which says there is an increasing trend to use the word “chimp” to mean Pan, so maybe I need to take that back. I still think it adds some confusion, though, and invites the use of the inaccurate term “pygmy chimp” instead of “bonobo”, since you have to use the term “common chimp” for what I would just call a “chimp”. I don’t think de Waal ever calls bonobos chimps, but then he’s probably bonobo-centric. :slight_smile:

So it’s a good thing I didn’t say they were a variety of P. trogolodytes. I was using “chimpanzee” as a common term for the members of the genus Pan. Likewise, while I would not (necessarily) say that Neanderthals were a variety of H. sapiens, I would say that they’re a variety of human.

John Mace, I think your earlier statement was accurate in respect to the people who are heavily involved in Bonobo research. de Waal seems to use the terms very carefully and always seperate. I’ve been in communication with him so I will ask him what he thinks on that issue.

Yeah, wikipedia isn’t the end of the story, but it’s usually pretty good about such things. And actually, it’s a bit contradictory:

Seems to me that using the term that was adds to the confusion rather than helps avoid confusion. Give de Wall my regards and tell him I love his books. Tell him to write some more!! :slight_smile:

If you’re lonely it might be a lot easier just to check the back pages of Creative Loafing or whatever throw-away weekly, Chicago Reader-esque rag you have in your area.

Whoah Whoah the more important question is what sexual position do Bonobos prefer? Missionary, Doggystyle, Bonobostyle?

That may be part of the reason, but it’s not the whole story though is it?

Ludovic:

Ludo, you kink, you, are you saying you’d like to be in a bonobo daisy chain?

Well, yes, if “Bonobo Daisy Chain” is the name of a band :slight_smile:

I thought that fellow who runs the USA was a hybrid.

Could an average sized bonobo vagina receive an average sized human penis?

I’m assuming there’d be no problem getting a bonobo penis into a human vagina, and I’m sure it’s on YouTube somewhere.

And really, which species is happier?