Would most men admit to having an affair?

In one episode of Happy Days, Richie clashes with a bully. He tries several things to avoid the bully, but the problem persists - ultimately, he agrees to fight. He goes to Fonzie, and asks for advice, wondering what Fonz would do if he were in Richie’s situation.

“Richie,” replies The Fonz, “I wouldn’t be in your situation.”

If I ever had an affair, I’d tell my wife. I’ve told her about harmless flirtations with others that occurred before we were even engaged, under the theory that, while I thought they were harmless, it wasn’t for me to judge how she should feel.

If I ever cheated on her, in any way, she has a right to know about it. I would hope, and pray, that we could salvage the marriage, but the way to do that is not to hide the truth.

And to those who say, “Yes, but what if she’d never find out?” … putting aside that it’s the right thing to do, regardless of whether or not she’d find out, I think there’s a very practical point here: it’s a meaningless guarantee. If you cheated, then two people, at least, know. And that means that she could, conceivably, find out. Odds might be small - but the stakes are huge.

And here’s why I mentioned The Fonz… I say these things safely, because I will never tell my wife I’ve cheated on her… because I never will.

I lived a full life before I got married - I have no regrets, nothing I was dying to do and never did (except, perhaps, skydiving). There is no reason to ever do that. I may well meet some charming, captivating lady down the road… someone about whom I may think, “Ah… if I weren’t married…” But on the heels of that thought will inevitably be, “…but I am.”

Nor does this strike me as a prison… rather, as though I’m stuck at Disneyland. Yes, I can’t leave the park… but my, look at all the great rides that are here!

• Rick

First of all, Let me preface this by saying I don’t believe my husband would ever have an affair. But given conversations we’ve had about these very public scandals, and unfortunate things we’ve seen in other marriages, I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t admit to it. This is not one of those things that he thinks would be made better by coming to light.

If coming to light would end it, that would “improve” things in obvious ways, but if it was in the past, he’d never admit to it. He’d struggle with his guilt, etc., alone.

well, for the guys that wouldn’t tell their SOs and wives, would you want to know if they had cheated on you?

i would want to know. even if i would be devestated and my life thrown in chaos i would so so much rather know the truth than live in a false-happiness ignorance bubble. that’s just the worst thing for me, to be lied to. and if the guy hid it so well that i wouldn’t find out and wouldn’t even know about a lie, i -still- would want to know. because there obviously would be something that made him do that and i would want to know why. if it was us or him or whatever and what we should do about it.

If you ask a guy if he has had an affair, most say no, but if you ask them ‘do you know any guys who have had an affair?’ most of them say ‘yes’ usually including themselves in sneakily as part of ‘any guys’ :slight_smile: men, shrug.

No, I wouldn’t want to know, as long as she did it discretely and took precautions, if ya know what I mean.

This is why I have told my husband that if I ever suspect he is having an affair I am not going to bother asking him, I’m just going to hire a private detective and find out.

Women, here, seem to be assuming that it is the man who is having the affair. I’ve known several women who had affairs, and lied about it. I’ve known women who had affairs with married men, knowing the guy was married.

If my wife had an affair, I would absolutely not want to know, or to even have a suspicion. She should cover her tracks well, and deny, deny, deny. As long as she loves me and life is good, then life is good.

Back when I was married (OK, I’m still married, but separated), my wife said it would be OK for me to get blowjobs if some hot woman threw herself at me, but nothing else - no sex, I’m assuming no smooching. Basically a ‘If you find yourself in a situation where your will may fail, try to get off in as harmless a manner as possible’ policy.

I strongly suspect my wife was cheating on me before she told me she was leaving (after the announcement we both began dating), but she never would admit it. Kinda pisses me off, because I had at least three opportunities to cheat on her and I turned down all of them (well, a friend turned one down for me, heh heh).

If my SO were to cheat on me, I think the marriage could be salvaged. It would take time, but I’d be willing to give him a second chance. No third chance, however.

Now, if my SO cheated on me and I found out other than by him telling me a.s.a.p, the marriage would be over. In that case, he’s betrayed me once, physically, and then again, and much worse by hiding it from me and not being completely honest about it.

YMMV, of course.

One of my fundamental moral principles is to inform my wife of (potential) affairs before they start. (Some relationship issues are harder for the polyamorous than for the monogamous, but this isn’t one of them …)

The way I see male logic on this:

Per cent of guys who admit to one: 10%

Per Cent of guys who know a guy who had one: 99%

In other words, they might have one, but won’t admit it, but if they can admit it by saying it’s another guy, then they would admit it.