[QUOTE=you with the face]
It’s a good question and if anyone slams you for asking that, then I’ll be the first one to call them a stupidhead.
-
First question: My boss is white. Coworker is black. I’m black. Because I don’t recognize any communication issues between she and my coworker, racial tension is not high on my differential list. But I haven’t yet ruled out her having issues with black women. It’s a possibility.
-
Second question: It’s hard for me assess how she interacts with other women, especially women subordinates. Her boss is female and from my vantage point, they get along fine. But my vantage point is also limited. I’m the only female under her direct supervision. The other women that work in my division are stationed in out-of-state field offices and she doesn’t have the opportunities to interact with them like she does with me. I’m rarely privy to her dealings with them.
So I don’t have much to go on here. Whatever it is, it’s something that is outside of my control, that much I’m 95% sure about.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much for assuaging my concerns.
Yeah, from what you’ve provided, I can see how it’s difficult to WAG at just what the problem might be. I second any suggestion that you broach the subject with her, except that I would caution against doing it verbally. I’m one of those people who loves to write things down, especially when it comes to uncomfortable shit. The advantage, of course, is that doing so gives me a chance to be really clear about what I’m saying and as non-confrontational as I choose to be. It also gives the other person time to process my message without feeling pressured to respond in the moment. Also, I, like you, prefer to avoid face-to-face confrontations if at all possible.
The one disadvantage that I can see in your case is that having whatever you need to say in writing pretty much sets it in stone for posterity (a.k.a. your employee file). Depending on your boss’s disposition and motives, though, this doesn’t have to cause a problem for you. You just need to be aware of all possibilities, I think.
[QUOTE=monstro]
[hijack]
Viola power!
It’s not too late to pick it back up, you know. I took a five year break from mine and then one day started playing again. I haven’t stopped since.
[/hijack]
[/QUOTE]
and…
[QUOTE=you with the face]
It’s never too late to pick it up again. Your skills will return with a little practice, if you’re anything like me. The fingers never forget!
[/QUOTE]
Though I believe that you are both very likely correct, I haven’t played in 19 years (I played from ages eight through eighteen, then, like a fool, stopped), and so I’m sure that I’m as rusty as hell. I did acquire a viola from a friend of a friend several years ago, and though it’s currently in a state of disrepair (sound post is dislodged, pegs won’t stay put–even with rosin rubbed on them
), I’ve decided to get it repaired as soon as I can so that I can start playing again. I’ll never be William Primrose, but heck, it oughta be fun anyway.
Thank you both for the encouragement!
