Would you burn the flag in protest?

There is a chance that this latest attempt at a constitutional amendment will pass, allowing congress to pass a law prohibiting desecration of the flag. In the interim period between passing the amendment and passing the actual law, would you burn a flag in protest?

Personally, I would. I think the amendment is a desecration to the Constitution, actually. If this law passes it could lead to Congress supressing other forms of free speech, and we’d be that much closer to resembling our enemies. While it is still legal, I would publicly burn a flag in protest. After the law was passed, I’m not so sure I’d be willing to go to jail or pay a fine for the privilege. Maybe.

So would you burn a flag in protest?

What else am I suppose to do?. Holding up a sign would get me, and the cause, no attention.

I’d be tempted to do it in protest of the law that makes it legal to do it.

I’m also wondering, if they make it illegal to burn flags, what are we going to do with all the old ones? As I understand it, burning is the only means of disposal allowed. Or is burning allowed for non-protest disposal of used flags? So, you could burn one, but you couldn’t gripe about anything while you were doing it?

Sure - just like the hundreds of thousands of people doing it every day in your local 7-11 and Walmart parking lots. Oh…wait…on second thought, I don’t think I have ever seen anyone burn a flag in my life, other than on newscasts in the late 60’s. But such a wonderful hot-button issue to rally the numbnuts away from real issues.

Would I burn a flag?

1. I believe it is the acceptable way to destroy a flag, as per government regulations. Yes.

2. I believe the flag should be burned when the fabric is worn as hot pants by fat women on July 4th, thinking they look patriotic. Yes.

3, In protest? Until now, it has never seemed appropriate, but once again the right wing has pushed me further than I ever thought they could. Hand me the damned Bic.

No, except to protest a law against it.

This whole thing reminds me of a bit in The West Wing when some right wing group wanted to bring up the flag burning amendment as a payoff for going along with something the president wanted to do. The president pooh-poohed them, saying “Is there a rash of flag burning I’m not aware of?”

Ahh, fictional president. It’s sad when you prefer a fake president to the real one.

I would never consider burning or otherwise desecrating the Flag of the United States … unless the constitutional amendment in question somehow managed to pass. Then stand back, 'cause I’m going to become a flag burning madman.

I’m not sure, but only because it’s likely that I’d be the recipient of physical violence. It seems an appropriate protest against the obscene restriction of free speech the proposed amendment would be, but it’s probably not worth the risk of being killed.

Revtim’s prediction of the day: if they actual amend the Constitution to remove the free-speech protection for flag-burning, there will be multiple deaths when the inevitable flag-burnings this triggers are met by ultra-patriotic violent wingnuts.

Only an asshole would burn a flag as a protest. More specifically, those dickheads who were burning flags the last time that this issue became a big deal were assholes who wanted their names in the news because they were, like, sticking it to the man or something.

That said, the right to be a flag burning asshole should never, ever be taken away. This potential Ammendment is no less than evil. Luckily, they don’t have the votes in the Senate.

Haj

No, except to protest a law against it.

This whole thing reminds me of a bit in The West Wing when some right wing group wanted to bring up the flag burning amendment as a payoff for going along with something the president wanted to do. The president pooh-poohed them, saying “Is there a rash of flag burning I’m not aware of?”

Ahh, fictional president. It’s sad when you prefer a fake president to the real one.

Okay, I have NO IDEA how that happened.

The Hamsters must have really liked your post. :wink:

Depends on if the amendment gets passed. Might burn a copy of the constitution, too.

Flag burning is idiotic.

Amending the Constitution to prohibit flag burning would be beyond idiotic.

Flag burning is idiotic.

Amending the Constitution to prohibit flag burning would be beyond idiotic.

As virulently opposed to whoring-out the Constitution as I am, I still don’t think I could bring myself to burn a flag, even in protest of the amendment itself. Even knowing that burning a flag would be the most effective form of protest.

It’s a sentimental thing. At 44, I still cry at ball games when they play the National Anthem; and the Olympics - hoo, boy. Weepfest.

So, no, I couldn’t take a match to the flag. I just don’t have it in me.

I wouldn’t burn a flag, because IMO the most mentally unstable folks in a crowd are precisely those who’d (a) endorse such a stupid amendment, and (b) freak out and turn violent when they see you burning a flag.

I’d rather do something more creative and fun, like bake a cake with an American flag on it. Then offer up pieces to those selfsame eediots and nail 'em with the stupid amendment when they agree. :smiley:

(And what are they going to do, threaten to beat me up for bringing a cake?)

Probably.

More likely, I would “desecrate” a flag without subjecting myself to the enevitable burns resulting from my clumsy flag-burning attempt.

Nothing disgusting, maybe just take a giant magic marker and writing something all snappy and protest-y on it. Or maybe just write, “I am against desecrating the flag” on it just to see what happens.

No fair; Haj and Captain Lance Murdoch took my answers!

What kind of moron burns a flag in protest? What the hell does that convey?

That one hippie who’s carrying a ‘Fuck Bush’ sign and yelling his head off is pissed, but get a load of that other guy. He’s burning a flag. Oooooh.

No. Frankly, burning something I had to pay for just to protest some dumb assed amendment is beyond my comprehension. Plus, the Eagle Scout in me won’t let it happen

Now? Certainly not.
If the amendment is passed by the Senate? Nope.
If it’s ratified by the states? No.
Once they actually get around to passing the laws the amendment allows? Nahh.

When people are fined or jailed for burning a flag that they own in a situation where burning any other piece of cloth of the same size would have been legal? YES.
… but even then I’d probably wuss out and burn something that’s not exactly an American flag, just for my own peace of mind.