Would you kill yourself?

I was just watching Fox News for my daily ration of bile, and they had a guy giving some weird reasons for opposing doctor-assisted suicide. Namely, that having the option of doing so makes the elderly feel isolated. Leaving this downright bizarre argument aside, it got me thinking: Would any of you consider taking your own life (by whatever method you were most comfortable with) under certain circumstances?

In my case, I would if I felt I were losing independence and becoming a burden on my family.

Oh, heavens yes, I’m planning on it! After seeing what my mother’s going through and what her parents went through, my sister and I both agreed that if we don’t take after my father’s side of the family (they have the common sense to keel over of heart attacks in late middle age), it’s a razor blade and handful of sleeping pills for us, no question about it.

I don’t think I physically could. I really don’t. Never could do a gun, or a hanging, or jump off something. I’m a coward actually. I couldn’t inflict any kind of discomfort on myself i don’t think.

I’m pretty much the same way. But if I was starting to suffer from Alzheimer’s, for example, then who knows.

Yes. There are far worse things than death, and far worse ways to die than, say, a shotgun to the head.

Ah, the joys of living in Oregon, the one state in the union where physician-assisted suicide is legal.

After seeing my grandpa waste away and die a slow, painful, humiliating death from cancer, I am immensly comforted that I have the option of legally taking my own life should I be faced with such a fate.

I don’t know if I would go through with it when it comes down to brass tacks, but I sure as hell like having the option of dying from an overdose of barbiturates under a doctor’s guidance rather than trying to blow off my own head with a shotgun and leaving a terrible ugly mess for my family to deal with.

I want something quick, yet spectacular.

Like…a donkey kick to the chest, provided it’d be quick and over in an instant.

Stomped on by an elephant while having sex with a beautiful woman…I take it you meant? (What were you doing with that donkey!? :eek: )

But indeed, I can’t see how they can say we have the freedom of life if we really have no choice whether we live or die. I don’t know that I would ever exercise it, but I certainly wouldn’t shy from it if I thought that it would be the wisest course given whatever my current situation was.

I could certainly do it in certain circumstances. If I was in constant pain from a terminal disease or was likely to soon lose my faculties from a progressive neurological condition, overdosing on barbiturates or opiates sounds like a far preferable alternative. I would also love to be able to write it into an advance directive so someone could help me carry it out if I was somehow unable, without them facing the possibility of legal consequences.

yeah, but that’s the rub, isn’t it? You’d probably end up a paraplegic with a broken breast bone. :dubious:

This is a good question, and I’ve wondered about what I’d do if…

I had an uncle (marriage, not blood) go from altzheimer’s, and that was just tragic. My grandfather died of bone cancer, and that was just cruel. I think when life becomes so painful to live, we should allow those that are suffering to choose. I don’t think I could go through what my grandfather did. Every time he moved, he broke a bone. That was one ugly end.

As for me, the biggest question would be how to do it? I can’t think of a way that would be 100% AND pain free. I’m sure there are ways, but I could load myself up with a bunch of sleeping pills, end up surviving and being a drooling idiot. Or jumping off of a building, snaping my spinal cord, and being paralyzed. Or suck on the end of a .38, and have the bullet lodge in the roof of my mouth.

Unless it was Dr. assisted, I think I’d pass. But I do support the right of a person that has a terminal illness to choose when and where. If Oregon permits this, I think that’s an interesting, progessive law.

Remember, kids. Any day above ground is a good day.

Yeah, I could do it, if I felt life wasn’t worth living. My grandfather got prostate cancer, got his nuts cut off (25 years ago, before they could do that chemically), died anyway. I would have preferred to die with my Boys still attached. However, I might reconsider just to spite Fox News. Just a thought, CynicalGabe.

Ditto. The quality of life is way, way more important than the length of it.

Are you kidding? I’ve been thinking about it all year…it’s not been a good year. Generaly throwing myself under a train. I’ve always been a Tolstoy fan. And it’s better then sawing away at your arteries, or throwing up a lot of pills…if your going to do, do it right. But then I thought it would make people late for work. And that would be rude. And I’d want to be dead, not rude. This killing yourself thing is trickier than you’d think.

I always liked the idea of walking into the woods and disappearing. But this leads to the problem: How to bury oneself?

I think I’d do it, but I don’t want to leave a mess for others to deal with, and I wouldn’t want to shock my loved ones. Doctor-assisted would be preferable, or maybe carbon monoxide (car running in closed garage).

If I’m ever diagnosed with something terminal, something physically or mentally disabling, or something ‘treatable but not curable’ (like kidney disease or something), I’d start considering suicide.

Not saying for sure I’d do it: obviously I have no idea what my mindset would be and hopefully I’ll never find out. But the very idea of needing to live my life on the terms of some disease or condition, rather than my own, is literally the most horrifying thing I can imagine. Also, I’d much rather the people close to me be able to move on quickly, than need to take care of me and watch me fade away.

I definately do think the option of medically supervised, painless euthanasia should be available to those who want it. I have voted for its legalization, (I lived in California when this issue came on the ballot there) and will probably do so again if I ever get the chance.

For myself, I think I would want to be euthanized, under the obvious circumstances (painful, terminal illness that made me a burden on my loved ones).

But I dunno for sure… You see I am burdened with my dad’s unquenchable optimism. Dad always says that, if he were ever pushed off the Empire State Building, he’d be flapping his arms trying to fly until he hit the pavement… And I’m a lot that way myself. I could see myself saying, “Well, I’ll give it one more day – maybe they’ll find a cure or treatment.” Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think, for me at least, this is one of those things where I won’t know for sure how I’ll feel until it happens.

Two reasons I wouldn’t do it.

The first is that I might attempt it and fail, leaving myself in even worse shape than before. That happened to the former wife of a cousin of mine. After the divorce she swallowed pills but survived, to live, if you want to call it that, as a total invalid, unable to speak, in a wheelchair.

The second is that it’s against my religious beliefs.

For another, and I think enlightening, viewpoint, see Not Dead Yet.

I would absolutely do it. As for the method, I’ve read about several good ones (and thought about the matter way more than is healthy) but I’m not sure the Powers That Be would appreciate detailed suicide advice.