Would you like to argue your point with me, live?

Imagine that instead of my nickname above this message, there was a a camera icon, with a little green dot next to it indicating that I was online in real time, and that, assuming you also had the requisite equipment, could just click on that icon, and there I would be, in real time, full motion and full audio.

You wouldn’t know me from Adam.

This scenario is here now, but only for those so equipped (see http://www.apple.com/isight/). It’s bound to become mainstream in the next couple of years.

But would anyone actually cross that boundary of anonymity that is provided by text? How many of us would be willing to take a forum “to the next level”?

If you had the choice, would you really want to click on that camera icon and suddenly begin talking to a total stranger in real time, real life?

Maybe I could wear a mask…

Good question raised; for the keypad is a great blanket.

I however, am just as big a fool in real life, so for folks like me, there would be little change.

now if they can also find out where I live…

One reason that I frequent message boards as opposed to chat rooms is that I like having the ability to carefully formulate an answer, with time to do some basic research and hammer out any flaws I see in my argument.

Another problem with direct-connect debating is that it denies other dopers the ability to “spectate” the debate, as well as the opportunity to jump in if they feel that they have something to add to the discussion.

So no, I don’t think I’d take the forum “to the next level”. At least, not this particular forum.

tonbo0422…This is a question that is making me think of images to argue with. How would you argue teen age pregnancy with an image of Dr Laura. Thank You my mind is racing…Good Thread

General Questions is for questions with factual answers, IMHO is for opinions and polls, IMHO is also for less than Great Debates.

Off to IMHO.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator

The Seminar process at my college is somewhat like the GD forum here. Somehow, debates just aren’t as much fun when you don’t have a horde of dopers to fall from the ceiling on cue. Driveby one-liners are also significantly more difficult.