Would you rather get $1 million or three random superpowers?

Would you rather get $1 million or three random superpowers?

For those who chose the second option here is a random power generator.

I’ll take the money, as I could retire tomorrow.

$1 million isn’t that much. I’d take the superpowers at that price, and worst case just keep my job. If I wasn’t comfortably middle class I might feel differently, and somewhere over $1 million, but less than $10 million, I’d take the money.

So are these powers from the MCU or Extrodinary?

Yeah, unless you live in a very inexpensive area, $1 million is hardly enough to retire on. I chose the superpowers and the random generator gave me:

1. Astral Trapping: The ability to restrain/trap astral beings.
    Not a great start. That seems pretty useless since astral beings don’t exist, and even if they did, why would I want to trap them?

2. Elemental Transmutation: The power to change/alter a substance and rearrange the atoms of a structure.
    Maybe better, although it depends on what the details and limits of this power are. In the worst case, it’s the ability to accidentally create a thermonuclear explosion. I’d be very careful with this one.

3. Precognition: The power to perceive future events.
    SCORE! Forget the $1 million, you’ll find me at the racetrack.

I played with the OP’s superpower generator enough to get the gist of what sorts of powers it bestows.

With many of the powers it generated I could make one hell of a lot more money than a measly one-time million and that’s just at first glance. I’m sure I could turn some of the less obviously useful ones into profit, or at least great pranking fun, with a bit of practice.

Count me in for superpowers. Even of all 3 are wacky, I’ll still be the life of at least some parties! :grin:

ETA: partly ninja-ed by @markn_1.

If you can’t figure out how to make well over a million dollars with three super powers, you deserve neither.

Right, but an additional $1 million might tip the scales.

I was leaning towards the superpowers, but got three random ones that seemed pretty unimpressive. Perhaps with time I’d learn to monetize them.

Retrocognition

(The power to perceive past events.)

Psionic Inundation

(The ability to overload another’s mind, causing various effects.)

Vocal Mind Control

(The power to control people with the power of one’s voice.)

Fog Generation

(The power to create fog.)

Feral Mind

(The power to tap into a feral state of mind.)

Accelerated Rotation

(The power to spin really fast.)

Okay, I stand corrected.

@Procrustus : ISTM you’ve had a failure of imagination there.

Those last two of yours sound like the Force. With that I could rule the entire world. If you don’t want 'em, I’ll take 'em.

Well, unless the government decides to regulate your superpowers and involuntarily enlist you into their service. And most superpowers come with some significant downsides that actually require a lot of laboratory or medical support or incur substantial liability for destroying major urban areas, and in many cases can also turn you into a complete sociopath.

Stranger

Story of my life.

But, but but, … I’m confused. You say that like it’s a bad thing?!

If you have said highly specific ability, then the existence of said beings would naturally follow.

OK, I’m game:

1. Extrasensory Perception: The power to acquire information by means other than the ordinary senses or previous experience.

2. Enhanced Swordsmanship: The power to possess proficiency, capabilities and knowledge in swords beyond that of the peak members of their species.

3. Chrono Vision: The ability to see the past, present, and future.

Looks like 1 & 3 mean I got it made, and #2 will help defend myself from various miscreants who have powers which evade my sensing powers.

I’d pick the one million - no, it’s not going to make me rich by modern financial standards, but it’ll be enough so that I could invest it conservatively and be more or less set.

Not that I don’t fully expect that super powers would be more lucrative (I’ll roll after typing this and report) but A) I’m worried about being caught as a superhuman B) I’m much more terrified of the sort of person I’d become with most superpowers. Yeah… you get some of those powers and all of a sudden you are on the fast trick to becoming a supervillain even if one with good intentions.

And I suspect that if someone is handing out super powers, you wouldn’t be the ONLY one. Very quickly mechanisms would be in place to deal with it, or society would collapse. Better take the million and fort up while you can!

“What about the roll?”

Mind Control

(The power to control the minds of others.)

Feral Mind

(The power to tap into a feral state of mind.)

Enhanced Flexibility

(The power to possess flexibility beyond that of the peak members of their species.)

Oh yeah, instant supervillainy/Road to Hell paved with good intentions from the first one. Dear god, what if I use it while under the influence of the second? -shudder- Well, for the last, I guess it would be time to use my evil powers for some funky tantric sex or something.

I could have been clearer in my earlier post. $1 million, by itself, wouldn’t be enough for me to retire on.

However, I’m 59, and I have solid retirement savings. If I got $1 million right now, I could easily stop working, live comfortably off of that $1 million to age 65-ish, and only then start to tap my retirement accounts.

$ 1 mill would pay off my mortgage, and more. I will take it.

The three random superpowers that I “got” were

At first, the power to “self-explode” didn’t seem all that useful. For one thing, it sounds like the kind of thing I could only use once. But maybe, when combined with my power of healing…

I would want a lot more information about how my “power to heal” works: can I heal anyone, or just myself? What sorts of maladies could I heal? Is there a cost? Depending on the answers to these questions, this power could be incredibly useful.

I’m also not sure what’s involved in “the power to manipulate probability,” but I suspect it could make gambling far more lucrative.

However, on second thought, I’m not so sure I want any superpowers, because with great power comes great… supervillains. It’s inevitable that anyone who has superpowers will have enemies who also have superpowers and will use them to try to kill, or at least thwart and harass, him.

Just become a supervillain then. You only spread evil if you’re inclined. Otherwise, zero responsibilities, unlike those exhausted do-gooders, the super heroes.

I picked the random superpowers and got Wind Vision, Supernatural Strength and Healing Vision. Win!

Hell, my first superpower was invisibility. Score!