Would you want a party?

For a “significant” birthday? If not, why not? If so, what is a significant birthday, who would be invited, how large of a party, where would it be held, what would you do, how would you decorate, etc? Oh yeah, surprise or not?

FTR, my 40th is on Mon.
-Mrs D is tossing me a party tomorrow nite (I’m sure all your invites are in the mail. No presents, please!)
-We invited about 30 folks (all adults), about 25 RSVPed. Mostly the folk we like now who we plan on seeing the most in the future, instead of folks who we were close to in the past but seem to have grown apart from.
-No special plans other than quite a bit of good food and drink, hopefully good conversation, spouse-swapping, and similar good clean fun.

Definitely not a surprise.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I’m not far behind you…38 in Dec.

My SO throws me a party every year. Its at the Habana Inn, the sleaziest gay motel in these parts. Some food, lotsa likker. Who’s invited? All our friends, the in-laws (his family…sister, brothers, cousins, nieces, their SO’s, etc), and any Doper “family” that happens to be in OKC on Dec. 9!!!

And then we do it again for his birthday in May.

But the birthday parties pale in comparison to our anniversary parties!!! We rate our anniv. parties by how many times security calls to complain.

I haven’t celebrated, much less had a party on, a birthday since I was about seventeen. My children don’t even know what day my birthday is.

I turned forty myself last month. Took the kids to school, went to work, came home at six (wife worked late), made dinner and washed the dishes, read the kids a story, read in bed for a while, went to sleep.

My old man phoned me up at one point to wish me a happy birthday, which put me in a bad mood. Everyone else I know knows enough not to bother bringing it up.

As for throwing me a surprise party, no one would even know where your bones were.

Well, Ike, I did send you a book, as you’d made the fatal error of telling me approximately when your b’day was.

No way anyone could throw me a party, as most of my friends and relatives are too far-flung. I do welcome cards and expensive gifts, though (um, April 5, if you’re taking notes, and I prefer pearls to diamonds) . . .

I’ve never had anyone throw me a surprise party. Crap. Maybe they have been all along and I’ve just missed them…

We’ve gotten to the point now where we’ll order a pizza, invite the in-laws over for cake and just hang out. Best part is the home-made cards my kids make. ‘Boy! And I thought you were old LAST year!’ was my last card from the 11-year-old. He thought he was really funny…

Well, I’ll take this opportunity to wish you a happy birthday, Dinsdale.

Oh, yes, Dinsdale—welcome to middle age. We’ve been saving your seat; we think you’ll like it here . . .

Well, THAT was okay. You were off the date by several weeks, and placed no note or other written explanation of WHY you were sending the book inside the package. It was all very mysterious and spooky.

…and the book was very good, too. I don’t know anyone else who would have known that I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

…and you’ll notice that your seat is quite a bit wider than it was when you were 20.

If these are the middle ages, when can I expect my Renaissance?
Yesterday my youngest asked me how old I was gonna be. I told her “Older than dirt.” Her response was a perfect, “Wait a minute. Dirt was one of the first things ever… Oh, I get it.”
That’s the type of moment I live for.
Damn, Ike. You are OLD! Was the book in large prinT?

Umm, Ike, didn’t I write an inscription in the inside front of the book? Or is my feeble old mind failing me?

[wider seat—why, I oughtta . . .]

Hey! The “wider seat” crack was aimed at Dinsdale, notEve.

Hmmm…this is becoming a slapstick turn…I throw the “wider seat” custard pie at Dins just as he lobs the “you’re old” pie at me; Eve stands up and catches it right smack in the kisser.

(Note to Dopers born during the Nixon Administration and after: “slapstick” is a form of comedy stressing farce and horseplay. It was popular when the three of us were young.)

Ah, Dins and Ike, remember when the three of us would save up our nickels and take the El to the Variety Photoplays and see the new Keystone? How we laughed at Ford Sterling and Mabel Normand’s antics!

P.S. Hey, Ike, I never heard back from you on my E-mail on the NYT this morning—you workin’ from home again?

Why, after that we’d hop on the streetcar, and ride on down to the soda shop. Those were the days.

[Dins, Ike and Eve gather 'round the pi-anner]:

“Gee, but I’d give the world to see that oooold gang o’ mine!
I can’t forget the old quartette that sang ‘Sweet Adeline!’
Goodbye forever, old fellows and pals—goodbye forever, old sweethearts and gals—
God bless them!
Gee, but I’d give the world to see that oooold gang o’ mine!”

Hey, quit that caterwauling and turn on the radio. It’s almost time for Tex and Jinx.