Wrinkles in a fish pond liner

Mrs. Polo and I are moving to a new house. One of the features of the new house is a fish pond out front. But unfortunately, the liner had a leak. When we drained the pond (with the fish and as much water as possible temporarily stored in 32-gallon trash cans) we found the previous liner was thin, cheap-looking, and brittle from age.

So, we bought a new liner (15x20 flexible) and installed it overtop of the first one. I had heard that we wanted to minimize air bubbles and wrinkles in the liner, for some unknown reason. I did my best, and I don’t think we had any bubbles between the liners, but I don’t see how it’s possible to completely avoid wrinkles around the edges of the liner.

Any idea why this should be avoided? And is there a trick to installation that I might have missed?

I have a small 8’ x 8’ x 2.5’ lined pool. There are unavoidable folds near the edges. I did line the bottom and sides with carpet scraps, though. It’s been around more than 12 years.

If you haven’t already noticed, the wrinkles and bubbles flatten out when the pessure of the water comes on the liner. Our golf course has three large storage ponds for irrigation water. The professional liner-installers didn’t worry a bit about wrinkles and bubbles.

That’s quite a relief.

Thanks for the replies!