Wyatt, Easy Rider, said: (Spoilers!)

Saw Easy Rider yesterday on TV. Haven’t seen it for ten or fifteen years, and it’s great.

At the end, after the mardi gras and everything, Billy (Hopper) says: “We made it!”, meaning they have the money and the freedom, as they were aiming for.

Wyatt seems depressed: “No, we blew it.”

Billy insists that they made it, but Wyatt repeats, “We blew it. Goodnight.”

I believe that’s the last thing said in the film before the hillbillies with the shotgun shows up.

The “we blew it” echoed in my mind after the end credits, and I wonder what he meant by it.

Considering they weren’t all that sober during shooting and much of the dialog was made up along the way, perhaps nothing really was meant by it,

but what’s your thoughts?

That they should have stayed at the hippie commune.

Wasn’t Morgan Freeman great in this role, though?

I think it was partially Wyatt realizing that he should have stayed at the commune and also realizing that they failed in their great quest overall: to discover America. In the end, they found nothing. Their only friend was dead, the episode with the hookers was a bad trip, and all they had to show for it was their money. In a way, they had sold out and were as much a tool of the system as anyone else in America.

That said, am I the only one who found the commune annoying? I think I would have cracked if I had to live around those morons for more than a week. I liked Wyatt a lot more than I liked Billy, but damn, Billy was right on that one!

Yeah I watched the annoying commune bit and thought, “come winter they’ll all be dead…”

Sorry but Hippies just bug me.

[Sam Kinnison]YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT!![/sk]

The commune was started the year before. They really did suffer during the first winter but (hopefully) had their stuff together by the time Our Antiheroes showed up.

The useless headcases had already been filtered out.

Mr. Natural says: “Always join an established commune.”

I dunno. Most of the hippies were still skin and bones when Jack and Wyatt showed up. Also, they were planting in sand (or at least really lousy soil), and there seemed to be too many hippies and not enough practical skills.

Except for that mime troupe. Those guys really got on my nerves. I found myself thinking “It’s OK if the crops don’t produce enough food. They’ve still got the mime troupe.” I could see the annoying mustache guy feeding a family of four for a solid three days.

The Sgt. Pepper-looking guy who led Jack and Wyatt to the commune in the first place was kind of freaky too.

I remember the posters that said they were on a trip “to discover America,” but I’ll be pistol whipped if I ever got it from the movie. Are there any internal references that that’s what even part of the plot was about?
hh

I always thought they “blew it” by completing the drug deal involving the cocaine or whatever was in their gas tanks. They “blew it” karmically.

You don’t suppose that scene wasn’t Billy and Wyatt but Dennis and Peter, discussing their once-high hopes for making a movie that had a point to it? “No, man, we blew it.”

Sounds about right to me.

Well, it’s not like it was written into the dialogue, but yeah, that’s definitely my impression of what Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda were going for. We see the bikers interacting with different types of people and Wyatt gets pretty philosophical at times, despite the fact that in my opinion, he didn’t come off as too bright in this movie. Also, in Easy Rider, you’re seeing America through their eyes as they drive past. They’re just soaking the nation in.

Discovering America might have taken a definite second place to reaching Mardis Gras and getting laid, but it was in the subtext.

This is definitely one of my favorite films of all time.

I saw this film for the second time maybe 15 years when I was working on a farm, and the scene of desultory hippies scattering fistfuls of seeds into the desert soil really cracked me up. That’s not planting, that’s feeding the birds. “You guys are gonna make it.” Yeah, if a couple of you have trust funds.

Thanks, prr. I got quite a good giggle from that.

But on a serious note, what was it that the Hispanic drug dealer said at the start of the movie? It was something like “es la vida!” That means something like “it’s life” or “It’s the life”. Was that the first audible dialogue in the film? Then at the end, turns out it’s death. They really blew it, man.

“Si pura vida!” = “Yes, [it’s] pure life!”

It was a pun.

(Actually, Linty nailed it solid in thier first post. I couldn’t have said it better, and in fact, would have screwed it up. Thanks, Linty!)

No sweat, Gato, I love talking about this movie. I’ve got the DVD, but I still don’t see it nearly as much as I’d like, because Easy Rider joins The Three Stooges and Benny Hill as being The Three Things Mrs. Fresh Won’t Let Me Watch While She’s In The Same Room [sup]TM[/sup]

Are you me? Or is my/our wife foolin’ us both?

How does your wife feel about “Blazing Saddles”?

We have that DVD too, and she loves it. It’s one of the movies we’re always quoting from. Why, is that movie on your forbidden list along with Easy Rider? Your wife is strict.

Thank God my wife has the occasional business trip, or I’d never see ER or Benny Hill at all.