XBOX or PS2, which one?

In May I am going to come across some extra money, and I plan to buy either an XBOX or a PS2.

I need to decide on which one. XBOX has better hardware, but PS2 has better software. As far as games go, my favorites are the GTA series (which I can get for my PC) Tony Hawk 4, NCAA 2003, Madden 2003, and Halo, which is only for xbox.

Now, is there a big difference between the two? If I buy an XBOX will I regret not buying a PS2 or vice versa? Most of the games I will be playing will be for both systems, like those sports games. But, since I can get GTA for my PC, would an XBOX make more sense to get? Since obviously, I would be buying the PS2 for the GTA series, along with the other games, but I would like an XBOX for Halo.

Also, in the near future, will XBOX release more games?

Any help is apprecitated. thanks.

I mean will XBOX have a more broad selection of games.

PS2 has a much broader selection of games.

PS2 has more quality games.

More developers are making games for the PS2 than XBOX.

Ergo - buy a PS2.

I bought an X-Box. I’m thinking I should have not bought either one and saved up for a better computer. My advice: save your money and buy some more PC games.

Oh, by the way, they are porting Halo to the PC (but not Halo 2).

I agree with dudemanjack but to answer your question, XBOX hands down. Xbox is on its way in while ps2 is on its way out. Sure there are more games for ps2 at the moment but going forward that won’t be the case. I have yet to seen a game developed for ps2 and xbox that wasn’t better on the xbox.

PS2 definitely a PS2. I bought one about a year ago and I have not regretted it once.

The games are suuuuuuuperb!!! The GTA series is WOW! Amazing! And they really need to be played on a PS2. TRUST ME! Vice City is G R E A T !!!

If you like the GTA series you will LOVEEEEEEEEEEE ‘The Getaway’. I cannot rate it highly enough. Instead of being set in a make believe city with fake cars the makers have digitally recreated central London and filled it with actual car models. Being a frequent visitor to London I can say it is 99% accurate and it is AMAZING. The cop cars, fire engines, ambulances, taxis, double decker buses are all very accurate and fun. The whole game is a must and I COMMAND YOU TO BUY IT. BUY IT AS SOON AS YOU BUY A PLAYSTATION TWO. I AM TELLING YOU NOT ADVISING. :).
PS2 is the most popular console in Japan, North America and Europe. There is a reason. XBOX makers Microsoft can’t drop the price fast enough, reason = its crap.

Yup. PS2 is definitely the way to go. Have fun !!!

(I do not work for Sony :D)

Hope that helps a bit.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

This generation of the console war is over, and Sony has won decisively…if you are going to buy only one of the current consoles, get a PS2.

Who gives a s**t about GTA? There are other games out there ya know. It really is not that good. I am tired of everyone saying “Get a PS2, they have GTA dood!”

I have all 3 systems and a gaming PC and I just started playing my PS2 again last week after not having touched it for a year since I got my Xbox. The only reason I started playing my PS2 again was because I had some games I had not beaten for it and was bored one night.

They are both good systems, but IMHO the Xbox is the better buy. Better games, better graphics, and Xbox live is much better than PS2’s half assed attempt.

I don’t think PS2 has better software. I haven’t touched it in months and it is currently collecting dust. Buy whatever system has games you will play. Who cares who sold more systems? —Only their shareholders.

Skinnywhiteboy just one piece of advice. You have heard from a few people here, some saying get an Xbox, some saying get a PS2 and 1 saying get a better PC. You can ignore the PC option because that was not your question. You should listen to the advice of those people who have both an Xbox and a PS2, they know what they’re talking about. People who rave about 1 system when they have not owned the other do not have any reasonable grounds on which to make a comparison, often they need to believe that theirs is better so they don’t feel like they’ve bought the wrong system. Thus “fan-boys” are created.

I have only one system and haven’t played the other so I’m not going to tell you what it is because it would be uncritical, biased, fan-boy advice. I will tell you that I’m happy with it, and certainly don’t regret getting it. I believe that what ever system you get, you’ll be happy with provided you know the pros and cons before getting it.

My best friend has both. He prefers the Xbox.

I don’t have both, and I’d rather have an X-box. I have a PS2, and everytime I play it, I’m amazed at how the graphics suck compared to my PC or to an X-Box that I played at a friends house.

E3

you really need to go play the games out for both systems to see what you like…

i would get a ps2, but thats just me. there are not a lot of games on the xbox that interest me… halo and the up coming halo 2, maybe mechassault online, a few others… i really dont like anything xbox has. the racing games plain suck.

of course ps2 has the gran turismo series, and about 20 other quality racing games out, a few other reasons make me want a ps2 more than an xbox.

thats the whole point. you need to figure this out for yourself. dont ask anyone. go to some friends houses, rent some xbox games and play them, find a friend with a ps2 and do the same… or hell just go to gamespot.com and see what new games are coming out. find out what you like and make your own decision.

I do. Then again, I’m not the king of the universe™, so my opinion doesn’t matter.

PS2 is NOT on the way out. They have quite a decisive market share that X-box will not ever surpass. That’s not to say that X-Box won’t have good games coming out for it, but that Sony has won this round of the console wars and isn’t going anywhere.

What you have to look at is exclusives. There is very little that comes out for only one system these days. Look at those games, and decide which of those you want to play. Then buy your system accordingly.

You should be able to rent the systems for about $20 at any major video store. That way you can get a better feel for what it’s like to own the system - where you’ll be able to put it, how well it’s constructed - and you’ll be able to play it for 5 days straight.

Personally, I prefer the PS2. It has more games, better games, and a larger market share (meaning the PS2 won’t be left behind by developers). It’s also a lot more popular overseas, so there’s a big selection of imported games. And you don’t need broadband to play online with the PS2.

From Skogcat

“Skinnywhiteboy just one piece of advice. You have heard from a few people here, some saying get an Xbox, some saying get a PS2 and 1 saying get a better PC. You can ignore the PC option because that was not your question. You should listen to the advice of those people who have both an Xbox and a PS2, they know what they’re talking about. People who rave about 1 system when they have not owned the other do not have any reasonable grounds on which to make a comparison, often they need to believe that theirs is better so they don’t feel like they’ve bought the wrong system. Thus “fan-boys” are created.”

We have both…

How very true, to be objective PS2 has the media so far but Xbox has far better graphics, but a word of warning do not buy a second Xbox controller (non geniune) as they are not as good as the original.

I don’t think there is a factual answer to this question, but rather a matter of opinion.

Off to IMHO.

DrMatrix - GQ Moderator

I own an Xbox. The center where I volunteer has a PS2 for folks to play while waiting for the phone to ring, so I’ve put in some hours on it. So, having some experience with both, here’s my humble opinion.

The PS2 has a much wider game selection. However, in my experience, many of them are the same fighting/shooting/RPG game done over and over with new graphics. I’m not very interested in the style of games that seem to be coming from Japan these days, and right now such games seem to rule the PS2. Also, I don’t like the controller; it feels too small to me, and I find it too easy to hit the wrong top-button. The PS2 has some truly great and fun games, and if there’s something you just gotta play that’s only on PS2, it’s not a bad choice.

The Xbox controller feels much nicer in my hands. I find it much more “playable.” Also, I like the long cords and the breakaway connectors. There aren’t as many games, but you know, I don’t really need all that many, just a few fun ones that I can replay, and anything else, I can rent. I also find the basic console interface more, shall we say, approachable than the PS2’s. It’s also mighty nice to have that hard drive to save your games to, and to save your own music to.

I played the PS2 before I got the Xbox. My thought process was this: the PS2 is mighty good, but there aren’t any games on it that I must have. Also, the PS2’s hardware is a shade older and slower than the Xbox’s, and while that doesn’t matter much now, it probably will in the near future. Before the Xbox, I had an N64, and you can really see the difference between the earliest games and the games that came out near the end of the console’s life, when the hardware was being pushed to the max. I figure the same will hold true for the PS2 and the Xbox.

So, that’s my opinion. Hope you found it useful.

This points to the critical question one must ask themself: What game(s) do I have to own?

PS2: GTA III, Vice City, FFX

XBox: Panzer Dragoon Orta, Halo (with II on the way)

There are others out there, but that is off the top of my head. Graphics are nice, hard drive is nice. Choice is great, if the choice is quality. But it is all about the games that you want.

I picked up my PS2 in Oct 2001 (wow, that long ago?) because it had the games coming ut that I wanted at the time. Another reason I purchased the PS2 is the backward compatibility for Playstation games. I didn’t have a Playstation, but I had played some games on my brother’s and wanted some of those titles to play in depth (I am currently playing Final Fantasy Tactics, and am a confirmed Squaresoft whore:p). I still love it, but the only game I have purchased lately is Vice City. (Sorry, Stinkpalm, it’s a great game. I know that YMMV.)

So do the research. www.gamespot.com is a great site to get reviews from, although they are a mixed bag pay/free site.

[hijack]My current choice is the PC. I am building a new one, because Neverwinter Nights runs just a bit choppy on mine.[/hijack]