­xkcd thread

So long as at least one student in Cybersecurity is not in Game Theory, a pan-optimal solution exists: Edit the grade of all students in both classes to be 100%, and all students not in both classes to be a value sufficiently higher than 100% that the overall average is 125%. Since this results in a perfect grade for everyone, there is no reason for any student to oppose it, and it can be implemented by any one student (or group of students) who successfully accesses the server.

Excellent thinking, especially about grades above 100%; that kind of “out of box” thinking is just what unconvenvetional problems need. A big tip o’ the hat!!

Ref this snip there’s an unstated assumption:

Unless the course is graded on some sort of curve. Although I don’t know how “curve” works when 100% of students have identical 100% grades for all coursework in the semester.

But of we assume the students can only hack their final grades, not their previous coursework, then everyone getting 100% on the final still leaves some students ranked above / below others for the semester, whether graded on a curve or on an absolute scale. The lower ranked ones will be motiveated to “fix” that.

Of course, once we can set grades higher than 100%, the sky (well, the IEEE 64-bit floating point maximum) is the limit!

You weren’t the only one.

If only the final exams are available, then all you need to change in my method is to find the score needed by the lowest-scoring cybersecurity student to get them up to 100% overall for the course, and make that the score all of the dual-enrolled students get, with the grades of the cybersecurity-only students adjusted higher accordingly.

I didn’t address the possibility of a curve, because I don’t know how to, given that I don’t know how (if at all) the curving function is applied.

And I do wonder how the Game Theory students (if any) who are not in Cybersecurity are graded.

Depends on how friendly they are with the Cybersecurity students. With enough of the right form of currency one can buy whatever result one desires. Like the bumper sticker from our youth almost had it:

Gas, Grass, or Ass; nobody passes Game Theory for Free! :wink:

Outside-the-box thinking is always a good thing!

It took me a minute to figure it out. My first take was it was a commentary on online learning. Our kids’ OLP has not been too smooth.

They each assign a grade to another randomly selected student, and they pass if the grade they receive is lower (and not equal to) than the grade they assign.

It’s not just the scores that are stored on the server, but also the code that converts the raw score to a letter grade. :wink:

Good news.

*sniff*
Sorry, I think I have something in my eye.

Here’s hoping. 10 years is a fine milestone, but still no guarantee. Then again, none of us get out of this life alive.

Me, too. :cry:

*snerk* “High-rise”

Funny how much my “unread” page here at SDMB has quickly become exactly the mature end of that curve.

Or maybe not so funny. There’s work I should be doing right now that is being neglected so I can sand down some of that “unread” page.

Same here. I wish there was some way to unsubscribe individual threads (or topics), but there only seems to be a way to do the whole lot.

Open the page and scroll down to the bottom of it. There’ll be a box that says watching, normal, tracking, or muted (presumably watching or tracking if it’s on your unread list). The box has a down arrow. Click on the down arrow, and set it where you want it. – If you set it to muted it’ll disappear, and if you want to unmute it you’ll have to go hunting around in your preferences for your muted list and open it from there. If you just want to get it off your unread list probably what you want is ‘normal’.

ETA: Beaten by @thorny_locust so I’ll trim some of my intro and this’ll read as an extension of his/her concise explanation.

If you open a thread near the middle there’s no need to scroll to the end; a bell icon is displayed below the bottom of the scrollbar at right. Click that to open the same dropdown with the same selections. As said above, “normal” is the choice that makes the thread the same as any other you’ve never touched.

More than once I’ve just done a “clear all tracking” and then for a couple days I need to use the “New” & “Latest” pages to rebuild my “working set” of active threads. My “Unread” page is at 525 threads right now (and probably 1500 total unread posts), of which I’m actually still interested in about 50 threads, so I’m kinda overdue for another flush.

Of course unlike vBulletin, it’s also easy to search for, or look up on the user control panel Activity page, any thread I’ve posted to. So I don’t need to use the Discourse “Unread” page as a way to track threads I’ve posted to. Unlike vBulletin where that was about the only way to do it.