XP "Show Quick Launch" doesn't stick

Okay, I choose the Start Menu’s “Properties” (under XP Pro SP3), select the “Taskbar” tab, then check “Show Quick Launch”. But when that’s done, quick launch still doesn’t show up. I then return to “Show Quick Launch” to find that it’s no longer checked. (Repeat ad infinitum…)

Any suggestions? I’m competent with the registry editor if that’s what it takes.

It turns out I’m not the only one with this problem, but I tried at least a dozen ostensible “solutions” without any luck.

Here’s how I finally fixed it…

The “Quick Launch” folder is supposed to be in one of the “Internet Explorer” folders on the system root, but there are a number of them (sheesh). Surprisingly, *none *of them contained a “Quick Launch” folder! Obviously, that was why the check box didn’t work.

So I created a “Quick Launch” folder in each of the “Internet Explorer” folders, and put a different shortcut in each of them. That’s how I determined that the correct one for the “Quick Launch” folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings[user]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
If anyone has a similar problem, that’s where I’d start troubleshooting…

Use this path, after you make sure you can view hidden files. (Tools, folder options, view uncheck view hidden files and folders)
C:\Documents and Settings(your profile name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Replace the parenthesis with your user name, make sure the icons you want are listed here. If the folder Quick launch does not exist you may have to create it.

Why is it in an IE folder? Is the location a vestige of the “intertwine IE and Windows as tightly as possible” strategy, or is there some higher architectual or logical reason I’m overlooking?

My guess (and that’s all it is) is that your guess about tight coupling is the explanation. Rationality doesn’t seem to be Microsoft’s strong suit (see, for example, Vista).