Y2K movie

So have you seen the ads for this? The slogan is “What if they’re right?”

I’m not really worried about Y2K; it seems like it’ll be more of a pain in the ass than anything else, unless people panic. You’d think this would be a real good time for major media outlets to be realistic and reassuring, rather than fueling the flames with worst-case scenarios in the news and movies. Will they not be happy unless there are riots?

What a strange culture we live in.

Catrandom

I just saw a similarly themed commercial. . . really funny. . .

Cows. Y2K ready. got milk?

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

I think that they should show that movie at midnight on New Year’s Eve, so if they are right we won’t have to watch it.

The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

Nike was making a Y2K commercial here in L.A. I describe it at www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002014.html

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

Same deal, jab1 – shouldn’t they be trying to prevent trouble rather than stir it up? I find this genuinely puzzling. Well, I guess every culture gets the media it deserves, right?

Catrandom

Catrandom, the folks making the commercial said it would run ON New Year’s Day, during one of the Bowl Games. Apparently, Nike doesn’t believe Y2K will be a big problem. You’re supposed to turn on the tube, see the advert and say “I’m glad THAT didn’t happen.” Then, of course, secure that the world hasn’t ended, go out and buy some $150 running shoes.

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

Oh, BTW: When it’s midnight on the East Coast, it’s only 9 P.M. here. We’re gonna get three hours’ warning. If nothing happens (which I believe), fine. But if Dick Clark’s face disappears from the screen… :frowning: