YAFT: Best bachelor(ette) foods.

I can cook up a pretty serious meal from scratch when I feel like it, but as often as not, I don’t. Which means I’m on a perpetual quest for new bachelor foods.

Such a food must:

1. Be easy to fix. If it’s more involved than “dump it in a saucepan and heat it up” it is of no practical use.
  2. Be reasonably good for you. No junk food, freezer pizza, or the like. Ideally, it’s a reasonably balanced meal in a single food.
  3. Be inexpensive.
  4. Taste Good.
  5. Have a shelf life of at least a few months.

Within those constraints, you have your 4-star bachelor foods, like:

**** Campbells Chunky Soup, Beef with White and Wild Rice.

Heat and eat. Lota salt but otherwise good nutrition - rice, a bunch of veggies, and enough beef to keep it interesting. Low fat. Tastes pretty good.

Moving down to your less appealing two star foods:

** Hot Pockets

Easy to fix and eat, but only modestly appealing. And the frozen/reheated ingredients lose something in the process.

And even lower to single star foods best avoided entirely.

What else?

peas on earth

About the most complicated thing I’ll make for dinner is reservations.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I’m with you manny, although I do like to cook occasionally.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

I’ve lived alone for about 15 years now, so this is right up my alley (alas).

Quesadillas: Take a flour tortilla. Slice cheddar or jack cheese into thin strips (or if you’re compulsive you can grate it). Spread the cheese evenly on the tortilla, fold it in half and place it in a skillet over medium heat. Cook, flipping once or twice, until the cheese is melted and the tortilla crispy on the outside. You’re done. If that’s too much work, then just wrap it in a paper towel and stick it in the microwave on high for about 45 seconds to a minute.

You can add hot sauce to the cheese if you’re spice-minded, or veggies (green peppers or jalapenos work well), ham or canned chicken for something more substantial.

Catrandom

Boil water.
Throw in frozen Tortellini.
Heat sauce in seperate bowl in microwave.
Dump cooked Tortellini in strainer, then into bowl.
Dump heated sauce on Tortellini, dump or grate on cheese.
Pour a serving of Zinfadel.
Enjoy.

Bantmof:

I can’t remember the brand name, but around here there are some Indian dishes that come in those boxes that don’t require refrigeration. You can just store them on the shelf like a can of soup. I bought one on a desperately hectic day, thinking it would be just barely edible and was very pleasantly surprised. The vegetables were very fresh-tasting and the spices were reasonably authentic. And, yes, all you have to do is put the pouch into hot water to heat it up. I have seen them at “health food” groceries and at Trader Joe’s here in San Diego. By the way, if you live in Southern California, TJ’s is batchelor food heaven.

I can cook, but what’s the point when it’s only me, so I go for the easy to fix stuff too.
I like those frozen veggie things that you add your meat of choice and sort of stir fry. Then if I am really lazy I pop in a TV dinner coz I like that they include dessert. Other than that, I order take out to be delivered by my local italian restaurant. Mmmm!

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Here’s a list of locations for Trader Joe’s
http://traderjoes.com/locations/search/all.html

This has a few steps, but it’s great.

(1) Boil pasta. Any kind.
(2) While the pasta boils, cut up 2 boneless breasts into small pieces. Brown them in a large frying pan, then remove.
(3) In the same pan, saute minced garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
(4) Dump 1 cup white wine and 1/2 cup lemon juice into pan.
(5) Add oregano, basil, black pepper. Reduce liquid by half.
(6) Return chicken to wine/lemon juice mixture.
(7) The pasta should be close to done. Scoop out some a few tablespoons of the water and add to the wine/lemon juice (the starch from the pasta helps thicken the sauce).
(8) When the pasta is just done (al dente), drain it, then dump it in the frying pan. Cook covered for a few minutes longer.
Serve with grated cheese; serves 2 really hungry people. Goes great with garlic bread.

I can’t believe no one mentioned those little cocktail weiners, perfect for a party of this type.

Put in a pan put in oven heat until hot. Add a bowl of b.b.q. sauce and poke some toothpicks into the little weenies and you’re good to go !

Ayesha - Lioness

There are two solutions to every problem : the wrong one, and mine
(Thomas A. Edison)

Do you like casseroles? This is pretty good.

(1) In a 9x13 casserole, mix 1 can each of cream of mushroom, cream of celery, and cream of chicken. Add a slug of milk to thin it out.
(2) Sprinkled uncooked 5-minute rice on top of the goop until the surface is evenly coated. DON’T mix it into the soup goop.
(3) Lay 3-4 boneless breasts of chicken on top of the rice. For added juiciness, put a pat of butter or margarine on each breast (sounds kinky!).
(4) Sprinkle chicken lightly with paprika & pepper, if you like.
(5) Put into 350 degree preheated oven; bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until meat thermometer says it’s done.

Serves 3-4.

I was under the impression that college age women live mostly on salads and yogurt.But I could be wrong.

Minute rice with a can of Dinty Moore stew dumped on top…we used to love this when we were kids. Hmmm, I sorta have a hankerin’ for some now!

Here’s a nice easy one:

1 Lb. hamburger

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 or 2 cups Minute Rice

Brown hamburger. Cook rice. Mix them together. Add soup.

It looks a little gross, but it tastes pretty good, and allows a lot of room for you to spice it up yourself. I usually add extra mushrooms, and spice the whole mess with garlic pepper. But you can spice it up as you wish.

My main exception to my not spending more than five minutes to prepare a meal or fifteen to heat one is chili but I make that in my four quart saucepan so I end up with three containers of leftovers, two to freeze. It’s slightly different each time but mainly two pounds of ground meat (ground round &/or turkey &/or pork), various beans, onions, hot peppers, canned mushrooms, and tomato sauce. I sometimes throw rice or pasta in it. That normally wouldn’t last cooked in the fridge but, as part of chili, it doesn’t seem to spoil. I add a raw egg to balance the food groups. If it ends up too soupy, I add flour or potato flakes.

After the first meal, I mainly slap a glob of it into a tortilla and microwave that, with cheese in the ends to counter juice leakage. It’s also ok as a cold sandwich spread. Occasionally I pour it over something (rice, noodles, potato*) again as real chili. It freezes fine and lasts me a long time without spoiling. I love microwaves! *Potatoes bake lousy in microwaves but that is disguised if you pour chili over them.

Chili is great stuff, and hard to really screw up.

I make it wicked hot. Lota tabasco, lota ground up hot peppers.

peas on earth

How about beans and rice? 935 percent of the world’s population swears by it.

Make a whole lot of dried beans. Let’s say red beans, we’ll do the Creole thang. Rinse two pounds of small red beans. Soak 'em overnight, put 'em in a pot with a hambone, chopped onion and celery and garlic and scallions and a bay leaf, water (or stock) to cover. Simmer until malleable, two hours maybe.

Now let 'em cool off and place individual servings (one to two cups) in little freezer bags, and stick 'em in the back of the freezer.

Now you’re set. Anytime you’re hungry, dump one of the bags into a little saucepan over low heat. The time it takes your beans to defrost and heat up is about the same amount of time it’ll take you to boil some rice.

If you’re hungrier than usual, you can steam a piece of andouille or kielbasa or knockwurst and serve it on the side. And pass the hot sauce.

Uke

Nachos are the ultimate bachelor food… all four food groups and no silverware required. Only preparation required beyond dump in a pile and eat is the meat, but that is pretty much a matter of mixing up some taco meat or marinading some chicken.

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

This one works if your sole appliance is a toaster oven. Take a tube of pillsbury croissants, spread it flat. Layer turkey slices and cheese slices over half, fold it into a pocket, pinch the ends. Cook (in the said toaster oven) for about an hour- toaster ovens are not very speedy. Yum!

Uke, you don’t even need to do all that work.

Vigo makes dry packages of pre-mixed rice and beans. Heat water, add dry goods and pre-cooked meat if desired, top with a bit of olive oil, pepper sauce and grated cheese. 30 minutes from hungry to sated.

If Vigo products aren’t available in your area, you can order from these guys.
http://www.asiamex.com/tayabas/mexrice.html

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.