...yeah it does!

In the past year or two, I have noticed one of my best friends, my boyfriend and my dad all using the expression(s) “yeah it does!” or “yeah it is!”

Such as:
“That building looks out of place there…” “yeah it does!”
“The weather is getting cooler now…” “yeah it is!”

Not “yeah, it does” or “yep” or “sure is!” or even “uh huh,” which are sort of the answers I’d expect.

I’m not particularly turned off by this expression, but it catches me off guard every time. It’s just so…new, or something.

Is it a new popular catchphrase from a TV show or something? A movie? (that’s why I asked here in Cafe Society).

The only thing I can think of that the three people I know who use it most have in common is that they’re all born and raised in NE Ohio, and listen to talk radio.

Anyone else know what I’m talking about?

Yeah I do

no not really. just couldn’t resist

It was a catchphrase in my circle of high school friends in the eighties. I don’t know where we got it.
My mom hated it because she said it made it sound as if we were arguing when actually we were agreeing with each other.

That has been around for a long time. There are other variations, like “Yeah I do!”. Joey Tribbiani on Friends often said things this way. That may be where your friends picked it up.

“Yeah it does” and “Yeah it is” were popular responses to questions from Joey and Chandler on Friends.

I can’t say I’ve ever heard it used anywhere else.

One word: food poisoning

Is it done in a non-affect way, flat? (Don’t know if I am describing this right, but in a monotone?)

If so, I lived in California in the late 90s and everyone from the Bay Area would say this. Like, “Man, it sure was choppy out at Pismo today!” NorCal response: “Yeah it is.”

Interesting. I think I can hear Joey and Chandler saying it…although does that mean that my friends and dad are like 10 years behind on their catch phrases? :smiley:

I think I may have heard it recently on How I Met Your Mother. Seems like something that cast would say too. I know none of those 3 watch that show, tho.

Hippy Hollow - definitely not monotone. More excited - YEAH it does!