Yeah! My son knows who Johnny Cash is.

This is definitely mundane. And definitely something only I personally care about. I don’t know that I must share it, but this is the best place I’ve got.

My fifth grade son competed in his regional academic team match today. He took the arts and humanities test (placed 3rd) and is on the quick recall team.

His quick recall team came in second in the district meet which meant they advanced to regionals. Eight teams playing a double elimination tournament. They won their first two games, then faced the team that took their district title. My son’s team won. So after waiting for the loser’s bracket to finish, they find they have to play this team again. This time they lose to the district champions, which means now they have to play another match against them. At least twice during the match, my son accidentally hit his buzzer when he did not know the answer (or on the one occasion did not even know the question yet), so he was not doing them a lot of good. They did come back from 3 points down in the last 6 questions, though, to tie the match. Overtime. First team to answer five questions correctly wins the regional championship in quick recall.

I don’t remember the questions, but the first one dealt with what the sharps and flats at the beginning of a line of music are called and my son correctly answered “key signature”. They missed the bonus question, but got another tossup. The bonus started “Zamfir is the master of this instrument”, it then mentioned it was named for a god who was a satyr. I was thinking, “none of thes kids are going to get this” when I see my son telling the captain that the answer is “pan flute”. Correct and I am floored. I find out later he knew this from reading the Percy Jackson books. Soon, the score is 4 to 3 in our favor. The moderator reads the tossup, which goes something like this: “The movie Walk The Line is based on the life of this country music singer, who is known as the man in black.” My son buzzes in and answers “Johnny Cash”, winning the match and the regional championship. I am not sure how he knew that, since while I enjoy Johnny Cash, he is not someone I listen to regularly and I don’t remember if I have ever talked about him with my son.

Unfortunately, the other team still won the overall championship (all events combined), but my son’s school came in second. Reversing the district results, where my son’s school came in first overall, but finished second in quick recall.

My wife had suggested that my son should study up a bit on the recent Winter Olympics since she thought they were likely to have some questions on it. My son failed to do that. On the way to the competition this morning, I started asking him some questions about the Olympics. I said “Who is the prominent American snowboarder”? My son answered “Shaun White.” I asked if he knew his nickname. When he said he didn’t, I told him “The Flying Tomato.” Near the end of the first match of the day, while the outcome was still in doubt, the moderator starts “This athlete, nicknamed ‘The Flying Tomato’”. That was all she got out since my son immediately buzzed in and answered correctly.

It was a long day with the first match getting started late and a couple of overtimes. But it was a good day with my son bringing home three medals along with getting to watch Kentucky stomp Wake Forest.

Everyone knows Johnny Cash.

He’s Rosanne Cash’s father :smiley:

“I don’t know why you don’t want me…”

Nah, he’s the dude who remade that Nine Inch Nails song, “Hurt.” :smiley:

Pretty neat story.

But, can he sing Hank Williams songs? :slight_smile:

My 7 y.o. has loved Cash for the last 2 years and sings along with it. It’s cute.

I’m not terribly surprised. The past couple generations have been much more appreciative of its preceding generations’ music than Baby Boomers and Generation X are/were, and Cash had a resurgence of popularity shortly before he died, which also meant he passed before he could outlive his goodwill.

Hey, whatever one might say about “kids today”, knowledge about music history is not an area in which they are generally weak. The “universal jukebox” of the web and file sharing programs has produced a generation that can rival the music snobs in the movie “High Fidelity”. They can explore music of every genre with an ease never available to old fogies like myself. We’d have to either develop a friendship with someone who worked in a record store (my wife and I met at a record store) and hope they had a promo copy to play, or take a chance and just buy it because it looked interesting (how I discovered the Penguin Cafe Orchestra) or we read a rave review.

Back in the day, I’d spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars tracking down import 12" EPs to get rare b-sides…all of which they can get as a Torrent file.

Yeah, in some ways I envy them, in other ways I don’t.

I grew up on JC and think he was a great vocalist.
He transcends generations.

A Johnny Cash thread seems like a good place to pop my postong cheery.

My 6 year old goes around singing “I Walk the Line” and “Ring of Fire.”

Johnny is FAR from forgotten.

I’ve always liked JC’s music. I’m really not a country music fan, but he’s really his own style that floats somewhere in space between RNR and country. And not that there’s necessarily a lot of space between the two. IIRC Johnny has been inducted into both Halls of Fame, and deservedly so.

One aspect of his recordings that I particularly like is the sparse arrangements. I like my rock that way too.

Well done! Now for bonus points: does he know who Mother Maybelle and the Carter Family were?

I had the oppurtunity to meet various members of the family, including Johnny and June when I came to Nashville and preserving the family’s music legacy, as well as creating new music was important to them.

missred (who has Live at Folsum Prison, When the Man Comes Around and some Carter Family tunes on her playlist tonight)