Yearly birthday parties--do you have them? Go to them?

Good clarification. My definition is a lot broader than that, and includes, for example, the “party” I was thrown last year which involved three friends and I dining at Sizzler, as well as the dinner at Raising Cane’s followed by a supermarket cupcake that my girlfriend treated me to. Both things were immensely enjoyable for me. A “birthday party” for me in this case means any effort made to celebrate the occasion of a birthday that includes the birthday person and other folks. Nothing need be more formal than that.

I do my best to pretend my birthday doesn’t exist, so no.

I love birthday parties, and people in my circles tend to hold them fairly regularly; if not every year, then at least every couple of years. Presents aren’t really expected; if anything, the birthday person is the one doing the giving, by entertaining his or her guests with food and such. It’s just an excuse to have a party and to see your friends socially.

My friends celebrate birthdays, but it’s usually just a good excuse to go out to lunch or to the bar though. Any “gifts” are usually in the form of food or drink. Occasionally someone might get a big blowout thrown for them if it’s a milestone (25 or 30 usually).

We have a dinner for immediate family and will make an effort to visit local Aunts/Uncles/Cousins on or around the day to deliver small pressies or a cake.
Otherwise it has to be a big “O” (30/40/50) to rate a card.

A good friend of mine has decided that her celebratory “Birthday Week” is not enough and she’s extended celebrations out through the rest of the month. She *really *likes birthdays.

My family always has a family dinner for every member’s birthday. It’s nothing terribly big, but there is a cake and there are some presents. I think this is a good thing - it’s nice to know that others care enough about you to celebrate your existence.

StG

My parents will usually buy me a fancy cupcake on my birthday. On their birthdays I always try to do something special, like go to dinner or get them something small.

Milestone birthdays are more acceptable for parties. My 30th wasn’t “a party” but I did a lot of special things that week with different people.

This year my roomie wanted to take me out to dinner on my 31st birthday and I was caught off guard by his invitation. It was weird to be taken out for a birthday, and to get gifts. I guess he’s into it but I’m not.

I take the day off work on my birthday, and so do my 2 co-workers. That’s pretty much all of the partying I need.

I haven’t had a birthday ‘party’ since I was 6. I don’t count dinner and cake with my immediate family.

Plenty of people in my social circle have parties on their birthdays. I don’t attend often, as I don’t like parties.

SWMBO insists on throwing a party for me every year. I told her last time that I was going out of town this year so she couldn’t.

Birthday parties were always a small family affair for me. Never did the invited guest thing.

On a side note curmudgeon rant, I despise restaurants that sing/dance/chant/whistle or invite the rest of the paying customers to pay homage to another patron’s birthday or anniversary.

Same for me. The last regular birthday party I had would have been before I left my parents’ home for university. I’ve had a couple of times since then when people have set up some sort of event for me, but I’ve tried to avoid them as much as possible.

Mrs Piper, on the other hand, loves birthday parties, so I organize something for her every year - I love doing it for her, since she likes it so much.

Hell, I just had a birthday party last Saturday. My dad, his brother, and I all have birthdays within a month of each other, so we usually just do a big family get-together, plus assorted friends. I think there were about 25 people there this year. My mom roasted a goat for the occasion.

I have a constant round of birthday parties. I’m part of a close circle of about a dozen friends, and everyone’s birthday gets celebrated in some form - dinner in a restaurant, house party/dinner party, reserve a large table in a pub and sometimes something more ambitious, such as hiring a large country house for the weekend. There’s also always a whip round for the birthday present - we all pay into a nominated present buyer’s bank account, and she will buy a large gift from us all.

This may all seem rather excessive for a group of people aged between 30 and 45, but I think it’s in part because we all live in London, so many of us don’t have close or constant contact with relatives who live elsewhere, and we’re all gay, with no kids, so we are sort of family for each other, if that makes sense.

Mom invites friends over for coffee; so does SiL. For over ten years, SiL would also “invite” a different set of people over at the pool; the “invite” is in comas because we’d have to pay to get in. People eventually stopped coming to those. Marriedbro didn’t celebrate his, but eventually the Kidlet grew up enough to assume that “it’s Daddy’s birthday” would mean “we’re having a party”, so now we do get together for lunch.

I’ve had the family over for lunch a few times, but much prefer it when I’m out of town, as that saves me the work, the having both Queen Bees fight over who gets to be the focus of the day, and the desire to throw half my family out a very high window. I’ve also had coworkers over or paid for dinner when it was my birthday and we were on location, and those have gone a lot better.

Oh, and once when I was in Philly I forced my coworkers to go to lunch at the food court of a nearby mall on grounds of “it’s my birthday and I’m not eating in a goddamned basement cafeteria”. There were St Pat’s themed cupcakes being sold in all the restaurants there, and my coworkers got one for each of us, reserving the one with less green for me.

Here in Australia all our birthdays occur yearly. How many a year do you guys get?

Your birthday must be near mine–mine’s the day before St. Paddy’s day. I see yours is 3 days earlier. Cool. I like enjoying these little things.

Anyways, I don’t really have a party, but I do like to do something special, even if it’s only a cake. Life can get really blah around that time of year, since it’s been winter for almost four months, and it really helps pick me back up.

But I never really had parties past 18. I had something like a party at 21, but it was more that something was already planned for that day, and my sister happened to mention my birthday, so I got some cake and stuff. I’ve not had a party since.

Birthday drinks at a pub are one of my favorite traditions. Everyone I know (all Londoners, 20s-40s) does them – you send round an email or Facebook message saying “Hey, my birthday’s next Wednesday, come round to [X pub] after work for drinks.” People turn up and buy you drinks. Sometimes I’ve seen people give each other cards or presents, but nothing big (usually books or DVDs).

Last year my husband hosted an Indiana Jones marathon on his birthday. In my opinion, adult birthdays are great excuses to throw that party you were intending to do anyway.

This year on both our birthdays we went out to a nice dinner together.

The last honest to goodness birthday party I had was when I was 15, and that was more an excuse to get the family together (I’d had several relatives that recently moved to the area), than anything else. Even as a kid, I didn’t really have birthday parties that often. My parents just weren’t into that sort of that thing.
Nowadays, my wife and I will take each other out to dinner if our birthdays happen to fall on a weekend. If not, we’ll just go out on the following Friday.

My family is large, local, and social, so we get together for pretty much all birthdays. It’s usually a meal together - either out or at mom’s house - and then a cake or pie. Presents are given, but if it’s a tight year financially no one’s hurt by not getting something.

Parties are common in my social circle for any and all reasons: holidays, made up holidays, long weekends, just-want-to-cook-out, bonfires, just-want-to-get-drunk, movie nights, housewarmings, and so on. I go to a LOT of birthday parties over the year, and they range from drinks at the pub to something elaborate like a pirate-themed costume party, depending on what the birthday person puts together. Presents are usually just booze or something small, and aren’t in any way required.

Any excuse for a party, that’s what we say.

I usually plan to do something for my birthday and don’t. I definitely don’t expect presents, although you can buy me a drink.

I’m 28.