Yet another reason to visit London

Or they could combine the best features of these two attractions and have a piece of land at ground level.

They should be able to bring this in for a budget of around £1,500,000.

Maybe if there was a big Helter Skelter slide on the other side to go down. Or maybe surprise everyone and make them rock climb down the sheer side when they get to the top… Too short for base jumping. Maybe a waterslide all the way to that big Ferris wheel you guys have. Have it loop around the giant dildo shaped building on the way. Since money seems to be no problem I can come up with a bunch of ideas to help out.

That’d be an amazingly well-travelled waterslide :smiley:

The helter skelter actually did belatedly become part of another folly, the Micellar Orbital sculpture at the Olympic Park. Though I actually quite like the way that one looks.

They should have made it a spiral, up to the top. Then you could easy run races to the top! Skateboarders, bicyclists, etc, would all be giving it a go, I bet.

These knuckleheads missed a great opportunity, if you ask me!

Review, with pics, by a friend of mine:

http://www.urban75.org/blog/underwhelmed-by-the-mound-a-photographic-journey-up-londons-newest-tourist-attraction/

Yeah, at least that one is interesting looking and you can actually see something when you get to the top. I’m not sure £16.50 for a 30 second slide is worth it.

From said review :
Stuart Love, Westminster’s Chief Executive : “… and we built the Mound as part of our bigger
plan to get people back into the City and into the shops, restaurants, theatres and to see
the amazing sights the West End has to offer.”

WTF goes on in these people’s heads ?

I bet people would actually pay for that. Sell some carnival food and you’re golden.

IT’S NOT EVEN A REAL MOUND OF DIRT !
It’s fake !

I’m even more disillusioned than usual.

I could see making a mountain biking park that might attract some people, but you would need more than just one hill – ideally some ups and downs and such. Or possibly a skateboard park deal.

Brian

ummm. maybe they could use the slope to create a rival version of the annual cheese-rolling contest in Gloucester.

What they should have done (and yes, it’s way too late for that): Make the Mound a coconut-filled, chocolate coated mound, like the candy bar (do they have those in England?) I’d definitely pay six pounds or whatever to climb that - but only if I could eat all I wanted!

What’s your “should have been”? Just about any idea would be an improvement.

Mmmmm !
Giant walnut whip !

Having seen that Gloucestershire insanity in person a few years back, which is even more ludicrous in person than it looks in the videos, even the best slope on this pathetic attempt at a hill wouldn’t come close. I doubt there’d be any proper injuries at all. Pointless.

TBF mounds aren’t supposed to come to a point.

They could do egg rolling at Easter next year. That’s a genuine Easter tradition and I once went to Hyde Park with a large group of friends (and some of our kids) to do it on one of the very small slopes there.

They won’t do that, obviously.

I’m appalled.

I like mounds of dirt, (although I wouldn’t pay to climb one). Even a useful building inside would be fun architecture.

Artificial hollow mounds impress me like plastic plants and fibre-glass rocks.

It’s big enough to make the marble arch look small, but small enough to be comparable to other buildings around it, but too big to have human scale. A horrible implementation of a bad idea in the wrong location.

On further reflection, and after looking at some of the later pics in SciFiSam’s link, i reckon
they should open up the inside as some sort of 3D paintballing experience or something.

With a modification or two, that could be a giant Tunnock’s Teacake, but it would fit better in Edinburgh, to go with the Golden Turd.

And it’s done for.

I think it would have been successful had they painted a white horse on the side. Probably could have been done for just a couple of million pounds.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/marble-arch-mound-closure-intl-scli-gbr/index.html