You can see one ACTIVE rock act right now: which one?

I’m going to The Raconteurs show later this month in SF.

I’ve seen most bands that I’d like to see, but if I had my druthers, I’d definitely take in a Descendants show.

Widespread Panic. And I am, next week.

I’d love a chance to see Roger Waters. It ain’t gonna happen, but I’d love it.

Oooo - that sounds fun. I love Steady as She Goes - rest of CD is growing on me, too…

I would say Prince, Queens of the Stone Age (with Dave Grohl on drums and doing some Foo songs) and Fountains of Wayne…

Oh, and Wolfmother - they rock.

I am hoping against hope to see my favorite artist, Tom Waits, on one of his rare and minimal tour dates throughout the South in early August. He almost never tours anymore, hasn’t played most Southern cities since the '70s, and isn’t getting any younger. While the closest show (Atlanta) is seven hours away and tickets aren’t exactly cheap, I will go if I can actually score a ticket through Ticketmaster when they go on sale. If not, I am opposed on principle to paying a scalper (plus I’m cheap!)

Can I just say I do not get the Wolfmother love. I saw them a few months ago when a friend’s band opened for them, and of the three bands on the bill WM was without question the worst. The vocals were screechy and irritating, the music seemed generically blah 70s throwback rawk that everyone is doing these days, all of their songs sounded exactly the same, and their look was just so…done. My date felt the same way, we kept looking at each other like “do we even want to bother staying for this?” I’ve seen a lot of bands, and many were forgettable, but there are few I’ve actively disliked this much live.

Sorry for the hijack, I just am getting sick of seeing their name everywhere.

Does Daft Punk count? They were, by far, the best thing at Coachella this year. Maybe the best act I’ve ever seen.

Interesting and thanks for the story. I saw them on Letterman doing Woman and they seemed like they were rockin’ it Old School, but in a cool way. Kinda like Jet does for the bands they sound close to…

So jealous…wish I could’ve made it down again.

Well, I’ll be seeing Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at Jones Beach in August, so I guess I’ll say them. A friend is getting us “floor seat” tickets at half-price. Of course, I would rather see them without Crosby, Stills, and Nash, but you can’t have everything.

Someone mentioned Regina Spektor. I saw her on Conan a while back, and she was amazing. Anyone have any of her music? What should I buy first?

Nine Inch Nails. But that probably won’t happen, I really don’t want to see them in a large venue.

The Horrorpops are playing in my area in September, definitely wanna make that show.

I’m going to join interface2x and say Mesh as well. They’re the only one of my Big Three (the other two being Tears For Fears and Radiohead) that I haven’t gotten the chance to see live. I’d even be willing to deal with the goth/raver crowd that such a show would likely turn out, if only… :wink:

interface: I didn’t know they had ever been to America; I thought they confined their tours to England, Germany and other Western European locales. 2001…they were touring with “The Point At Which It Falls Apart”, then? Damn, I’d have loved to see that.

I’d see David Gilmour, but I live in the wrong hemisphere.

I got a ticket! I’m Tom Waits-bound on August 1st!

Congratulations! That is going to be SO great. Have fun!

I think Daft Punk.

And I’ve got tickets too!

Depending on one’s definition of rock (allmusic says she’s adult contemporary pop/rock, whatever that is) I would have to choose Sarah Fimm, my current favorite artist, but I do not love her quite enough to drive or fly the thousand miles to New York just to see a concert.

A major label needs to sign her so she can go on a tour of the nation and I can see her perform.

Some comments I gleaned from the Coachella messgae board:

“Daft Punk was life affirming.”

“I felt like my brain was melted after Daft Punk’s set.”

“This is the only concert I ever went to where I had tears running down my face. It was way beyond words. BY far the best concert I will ever see in my life.”

“Thank you Goldenvoice for one of the greatest life experiences I have ever had. When the time comes that my life flashes before my eyes, a large portion of that last time is going to be a vision of rotating yellow white & blue flashing on a pyramid listening to “Da Funk”.”

“I felt as if God was the DJ that night.”

“The problem with the Daft Punk set is that it made Sunday seem anti-climactic.”

“That was the most amazing live set I have ever witnessed. That will go down in history as the most incredible live set ever put on by any artist of any genre of music…”

“When the curtain revealed Guy and Thomas sitting atop a giant pyramid in their famous robot gear, my girlfriend and I simultaneously flipped. When the pyramid unexpectedly lit up for the first time 30 minutes into the set and pulsated to the bassdrum, my girlfriend and I simultaneously lost our shit. When the show came to an end and every single person in the audience was screaming at the top of their lungs, our ears bled. To be honest, I can’t remember much else from Coachella 06 because nothing else came close.”

“ok now i know how i used to say how much i disliked daft punk, and i disliked them because i didnt really like dance music all that much and so i automatically dismissed them…but for the hell of it, i decided to check daft punk out, and holy…@#%.... i couldn't be more wrong about my feelings for them, they were fucking incredible. the robot theme! ahh!!! this is one of the many reasons i love coachella, it opens your mind up to new music, and also, the free spirits that are around you. i mean @#%, i didnt even like dance music, but i just started dancing! the opening song, “robot rock” i think it was, blew me away.”

“Daft Punk was the best performance i have ever witnessed and probably will ever witness.”

“WOW! By far the best set I’ve seen at Coachella and this was my fourth year in a row. I thought the Chems or Prodigy were amazing last year. My friend and I grabbed a whole other group of people to go see them in the tent and were completely blown away. Everyone was talking about it on Sunday, everywhere. Thanks so much for making this weekend so special.”

“a million thanks. i felt as though alien robots had descended from heaven to play a show for me and only me. seriously the highlight of all six coachellas i’ve been to.”