You don't even know me! Fuck off with your cyberhugs!

I’ve said it before…

I much prefer the handsome, well written compliment to any form of virtual touching. You know what? You can’t actually touch me! And I probably wouldn’t want you to!

So let’s all use the net to improve our writing skills, okay? It’ll look good on you!

As someone who prides herself on her writing skills, and has the sheer audacity to use smileys and acronyms, might I just say that that shade of snobbery with the condescending trim is absolutely smashing on you two? It really brings out your coloring.

Hey, I never said a damn thing about smileys and acronyms.

But I do think most writing in chat rooms and message boards is poor to middlin’. And that’s what I’m talking about. How often have we seen poor grammar, poor spelling and writing that lacks capitalization? Too often, IMHO. Too often the level of discourse on the net resembles a 6th grade level shouting match.

Pride in all things. I think we owe it to ourselves. I’m glad you take pride in your writing ability. You should. But that doesn’t mean I don’t see others who don’t. When I screw up (mis-spellings, typos, bad code, whatever) and post it I beat myself unmercifully (just call me Ming). :smiley:

So let’s just keep the accusations of snobbery to a minimum, shall we?

I’m just imagining goboy standing on the interstate offramp with a faded cardboard sign that says “Will Troll For Sex.”

and Stoid, I not quite understanding your position on chat rooms. Enlighten me. As far as I can tell, you have no problems discussing your political views, your profession, your parents’ professions, your hopes, your dreams, your wants and desires on a message board. But to do the exact same thing in real time is just icky, desperate, and wrong.

So THAT’S who I saw on the side of I-95 yesterday! :wink:

And you didn’t stop to check him out? :wink:

MR

I think we need to draw a distinction between some no-name total stranger “hugging” you in a chat room, and a person you “know” on the Boards “hugging” you when you’ve shared some especially good (or especially bad) news. To me, it’s the difference between getting a hug from a friend or coworker, and getting a hug from a total stranger. The former is great by me; the latter is not.

In fact, the chief reason I don’t “cyberhug” at all is because there isn’t anybody online whom I feel I know well enough that if we met IRL, I would hug them.

I sympathize with you.

On my old message board, I had a group therapy session thread running for compulsive huggers. I am not a huggy person. IRL, I know a couple of people who hug a lot, and I indulge them when they need to hug, but it’s still not my thing. In 11 years of friendship, my best friend and I have hugged twice. Once when her brother died, and once after a big fight.

Unless it’s someone I know well, and there is a reason to cyber-hug (like I’m really upset), the whole cyber-hug thing just creeps me out. Strangers trying to hug me. Oh, the germs. Oh, the humanity.

When is the baby shower for Coldfire?

Maybe it’s just how I read it, but this sentence made me laugh.

(And I never {{{}}} anyone. You don’t know where some of these usernames have been…)

Wife = can touch me whenever she wants.
Friends = can touch me if they can catch me off-guard (meaning I won’t protest if they hug)
Acquaintance = touch me on pain of torture
Coworker = touch me on pain of stolen stapler
Stranger = touch me on pain of death
Online = virtual touch me on pain of being ignored

There are very few people who get to touch me, let alone hug me in real life (maybe 4). Cyberhugs are just annoying, while I won’t do it, I don’t really care if other people do. However, it is a nice gesture that tiggeril has stopped licking me.

Well, obfus, after you threatened to rip out my tongue, wrap it around my neck while simultaneously stomping on my torso, I figured it was best to never lick you again. For that matter, I don’t think I’ll be getting myself within a 20-foot radius of you either.

Well, Ender, if you have ever seen a chatroom where such discussions occur, you have seen something that I’ve certainly never even heard of. I’ve been online since '87, and while I don’t even bother looking anymore, I have seen a lot of chat rooms in my time. Not one, not once, have I been in one that permitted (in the words-edgewise sense), encouraged, or contained that kind of discussion.

With this exception: private chats including no more than 3 persons.

Aawwww, now that just hurts. :frowning:

Holy Christ: were you involved in programming Arpanet by chance? :wink: {{{{{everyone posting on this thread}}}}}

Poor Stoid. I bet he has to take one helluva leak.

[sub]Rollin’ nuthin’ but X’s in this thread…[/sub]

I can’t believe I got mentioned for jizzing all over the place when everyone who frequents chat KNOWS Mr. Cynical is the jizzmaster.

But thanks Cloghead!

I’ll say! Especially since she can’t find her penis.

[sub]is that your ball in the gutter over there?[/sub]

You have absolutely no proof.

Tis a sad tale indeed, the Tale of the Lost Penis… come sit on my knee, children, and I will tell you of the tragedy and how I came to be penisless. It started with that extra X on my chromasome, way back when…