You have any unconventional meatloaf recipes?

So what did you make?

That sounds really good - I’ll give it a try next time.

As it happens, I made some meatloaves for the freezer earlier this week, using the recipe with onion soup mix, but I added extra onion. Not unconventional, but yum!

I did learn that crushed corn flakes do not make a good substitute for bread crumbs. I was a college student, so I did eventually eat it all, but ugh. Not good at all.

I have heard of some people using instant mashed potato flakes as the filler.

I got rave reviews for one I made that was half beef / half pork with Campbell’s golden mushroom soup and bratwurst spices.

I tried something similar with crushed tortilla chips when I tried to make a Mexican meatloaf (mixed with taco sauce).

It was a disaster.

I found this recipe a few years ago, but have never gotten around to making it. The spices sound wonderful, though.

Moroccan Meatloaf

1 pound ground turkey or chicken
½ pound ground lamb
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
½ cup chopped zucchini drained and dried
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 cup dried whole wheat bread crumbs
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
½ orange, peeled and sliced
½ lemon, peeled and sliced
Mint leaves to garnish

Combine all ingredients except orange and lemon slices. Turn into a baking pan and free form into a loaf. Bake in a 350 oven until lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Lay the fruit slices alternately on top of the loaf and bake an additional 15 minutes or so. Let stand for about 10 minutes to firm up.

I wound up making one with pickles, carrots, brown mustard, and mushroom sauce. Sounds weird but it was tasty. Served with roasted potatoes.

Thanks for asking.

I used to make one that had green olives in it, had barbeque sauce on the top instead of ketchup and was cooked on a grill. I have also made is in the oven. I am not fond of meatloaf due to the extreme sweetness of the ketchup that is usually on top and the texture. This I liked.

I bet some Italian sausage would be good in the pizza meatloaf.

Did it have an egg in it, or some other binder?

I understand that 73/27 ground beef is intended for meatloaf, so you don’t have to add extra fat.

Okay good catch, yes. thanks!

The seasoned sausage added some extra flavor.

I have never done that, but yes, that would probably be awesome to mix in.

Nearly always a good choice.

I found a website where people can search for “lost” recipes.

I’ll keep that in mind! Real quickly, that took me to a search page that took me to another search page and took me to another search page, all of which claimed to list whole bunches of meatloaf recipes, or whole bunches of sweet-sour recipes, and a few sweet-sour meatloaf recipes. I didn’t dig further just now, but I may want to come back to this!

Oh wow, Uncle Phaedrus is still around! Blast from the past.

They’re fine for breading something, where the crunch is a good thing. But terrible as a binder, yes.

I made my normal recipe for meatloaf that uses stuffing mix as the binder… but tonight I pulled it out of the oven at 30 minutes and put cabbage on top. 30 minutes later added shredded cheese and broiled it for 5 minutes. Damn fine stuff.

My sister long ago gave me a meatloaf recipe that she got from a children’s cookbook. It called for one lightly beaten egg. My question is: how does the meatloaf know the degree to which the egg has been processed prior to being added to the mix?

Pre-beating the egg prior to mixing it with the meat just means the egg’s white and yolk are combined and equally distributed without any, y’know, streaks. The white you won’t notice, but bits of cooked yolk you might.

It was the “lightly” part that I was curious about. The last time I made meatloaf I put the egg and onion in the chopper and blended it into a frothy blob and it didn’t affect the loaf one bit.