You keep being wrong jezzaOZ. How 'bout acknowledging this fact?

Being wrong is not a major offence here, to my knowledge. If it is, I’ve been guilty several times. Consistently being wrong is, but this post is not about that, or even about my impression about where between never wrong and always wrong jezzaOz is, it’s about how his(?) response to being wrong is consistently one of ignoring it. If you’re going to keep shooting from the hip and occasionally encouraging ignorance instead of fighting it, how about you start having the decency to acknowledge it?

Changing the subject, like the example below, turns a forgivable mistake into evidence of either a lack of ability to explicitly admit errors, or the lack of ability to understand your errors.

You could try the “it’s an implicit admission”-excuse, but you do it too frequently for that to be acceptable.

This is the thread.

Or you could just click the links in any one of the quotes …

Thanks. Though there are direct links to posts in the OP, it’s good form (and appreciated) to also link to the thread. The post-links are good, but typically start in the middle of a conversation. The TL link usually allows a quick overview of the original question and a quick scroll gives the context to the quoted posts.

About the Pit, it seems that it’s not wrong per se but that you’re arguing past each other. I think the point of arguing past each other would be easier to change from Nazi films to Big Roman Monuments. “raping and pillaging aside, the artwork on these monuments is really good.” “But raping and pillaging!” Especially in the context of the thread, they both make sense and insisting on ‘wrong’ is kind of silly.

This is pretty weak sauce.

Yes, you’re right. Yes, jezzaOZ is wrong. But it was not exactly a hostile and confrontational exchange in the first place.

Why not try to explain that the word propaganda need not apply only to the artistic and publicity efforts of the losing side, and that British and American wartime posters and films were also propaganda designed to rally the population to the wartime cause.

As Telemark suggested in the other thread, the fact of winning wouldn’t have made Riefenstahl 's films any less propaganda, and the fact that the Allies won the war does not alter the fact that the American “Why We Fight” films were propaganda.

Edit: MrDibble, in post #48 of the other thread, made a similar point.

Just admit you’re wrong and do it the way rhythmdvl says.

I hate admitting I’m wrong. That’s why I’m never wrong.

I did post in that thread, but I didn’t post what you’re referencing here.

I might remember to include a link to the thread start another time. Personally I find it more natural to go to the quoted place and scroll up and down as needed to get context. But it’s simple enough.

I’m not pitting any argument related to my participation in the thread and your suggestion is irrelevant to the point I sought to make with these quotes.

Weak pittings are my forte. Get’s the subject off my chest without having to go all obsessive, read lots of all posts and properly document the pattern that annoys me.

For one thing it wasn’t my sub-conversation in the first place. And secondly well I already described my interpretation of jezzaOZ’s quoted reply. No one said Riefenstahl’s films weren’t good, or that allied propaganda was, or that the Allies didn’t produce propaganda.

Which is appropriate, since he’s the one jezzaOz responded to.

Yes, I was wrong. I’ll never post quotes without a complete set of appropriate links again.

More gems:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=18257268#post18257268

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=18245134#post18245134

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=18246343#post18246343

A big lump of coal from him here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18269362&postcount=3

Yep, he even denies the most confirmed basics of the greenhhouse effect, not even sceptical scientists fall for that nonsense.

I knew someone would do the looking for me. Move the goal posts, change the subject or just leave the conversation … Nice pattern.

I like this place for all the people who, like I aspire to, enjoy fighting their own ignorance as well as others.

Perhaps Jezza feels the most honorable thing to do is shut up when proven wrong.

Ah, John Lennon wasn’t much of a husband to Cynthia or father to Julian. Paul McCartney is said to have left behind him quite a few illegitimate children and certainly wasn’t faithful to Jane Asher. But they wrote some great songs and recorded some great music.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

jezza does provide cites for the arguments he presents, though from the outside looking in those arguments seemingly always fall flat.

I have a sordid respect for that.

Oh what a plain, simple, idealistic, dreamy, hopeful, utopian, naive, belief that people actually admit they’re wrong.

I thought I’ve heard this once or twice.