You know who I think would make a fantastic next Doctor?

And you finally name someone I expect would make me want to slap him repeatedly with an oar.

I don’t know, really. Not a Scot. We’ve had two Scots in the last three. A Cornish doctor might be all right, I guess.

To the OP, yes, I think Mitchell would be fun. He’s the heavy one, yes? Either Mitchell or Webb would be all right, I say.

She’s most famous for playing a British time-traveller who (a) knows about monsters the general public hasn’t heard of, and (b) can save the day by researching solutions but (c) will point a magic wand at the problem du jour in a pinch, and you’re seriously asking which role makes me think she could play a good Doctor?

…which are exactly the plots of two (well, three, technically) Red Nose Day Doctor Who shorts: “Time Crash”, and “Time” and “Space”.

I know. So has Chris Addison. It is far from unprecedented to cast someone who’s already been in it.

Harry Melling.
Write him in as a relative of the Second Doctor.

Rowan Atkinson

Screaming more power, driving the tardis
Declan

The devil you say!

I like the idea of Stephen Fry and his old partner Hugh Laurie would probably be good too, but (not) to be obnoxious, I’ll suggest an American: Peter Dinklage. I guess he’s busy now (I don’t watch it), but I think he’d be good.

Miles Jupp.

or Andi Osho.

I always felt that Hugh Laurie was playing The Doctor all those years on "House".
The Doctor with his sonic cane.

I’ll second this; I think he’d make a fantastic Doctor, even tho he’s American.

Alan Partridge.

Not Steve Coogan, but Alan ruddy Partridge. The driving gloves can be his thing, like the scarf was, he’s already got an assistant / offsider, can chat pleasantly with aliens, but don’t get on the wrong side of him!

I like this idea a lot, though she’s probably too big a star at this point. They could bring back Karen Gillian as her companion. I’d enjoy them as…companions…together…

Sorry, lost my train of thought there.

The Librarian - Noah Wyle

Hell - thats functionally his char now - just ithout the timey-wimey wibbley wobbley.

Well, some wibbley wobbely - a little timey wimey happens - but overall - yeah - he could hack it.

Ozzy Osbourne?

Though nobody would be able to tell what the hell he was saying half the time.

Emma Watson would be fun, particularly as they recently reconfirmed that Time Lords can change gender during regeneration.

Or…fuck it - let’s get Doug Stanhope.

Yes. Because (1) you’re stretching to make that work (especially time travel), and (2) you’re describing actions, not a character. What about the character seems like the Doctor? Where’s that parental aspect or the alien aspect, or being absolutely ancient? I’m aware of the joke about how Hermione is a Time Lord, but I didn’t think your logic would be taking that seriously.

By this logic, we could have anyone from Star Trek play the Doctor.

you see - its the name thats important, no one would respect ‘Doctor Wesley’…

She’s brainy. She doesn’t just happen to be a time traveller, much as she doesn’t just happen to be knowledgeable; she spends her free time learning stuff, and kept going back in time because she wanted to learn even more. As for actions, she often had to crisply deliver exposition to another character, the better to bring the audience up to speed – which, if it’s not part of the Doctor Who audition, bloody well should be.

And for what it’s worth, Hermione Granger is supposed to be abrasive and maybe a bit awkward in the social-skills department – and Emma Watson is, of course, charming. So if she needs to be anywhere along that continuum as the Doctor, she has it on tap just like she can impeccably enunciate every informative syllable at high speeds.