You thought YOU were experiencing cold weather...

Yeah. Tons of fun, digging my car out every day. I don’t ski.

And minus 6 this morning. Doesn’t usually snow when it’s this cold, though.

-30 C (-22F) here this morning. Apparently -38C with the wind chill. Don’t need to convert that to Fahrenheit.

Yup, -10F when I started my car this morning, with another 15-20 degrees of wind chill on top of that. 'Twas a close thing, but she came to life. I’d never want to deal with this every day, but it is kind of fun to have one legitimate cold snap over the course of a winter.

Yeah, everyone was freaking out. It’s not even fifty degrees! I think that means death is imminent!

-25C (-13F) with a wind chill of -34C (-29F). It’s actually warmed up a little since I got up this morning!

It was 4 when I got in my car this morning, and 11 when I got out. When it goes into double digits, you know it’s a warming trend! It’s always warmer by the lake.

-40? I don’t know how some of you live in those places. Even +40 is too cold for me (native Los Angeleno here). I’m glad that even in the coldest of winter, it still doesn’t get below 40.

This morning it was 47 while driving to work today. Had to blast the heater all the way while in my jacket and gloves. I’m convinced some of you aren’t human :stuck_out_tongue:

From my lifetime living here, these are the temp scales we use:

100+: Hot
90’s: Pretty warm
80’s: Normal day for most of the year
70’s: Getting cool, bring a light jacket, especially if there’s wind
60’s: Really cold! Bundle up!
50’s: Freezing
40’s: What have we done to deserve this hell??
30 and below: Doesn’t exist. We’re convinced the temperature scale stops here

Ah, some of us grew up with a different temperature scale

60° F:
Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in New England sunbathe.

50° F:
New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
People in New England plant gardens.

40° F:
Italian & English cars won’t start.
People in New England drive with the windows down.

32° F:
Distilled water freezes.
Maine’s Moose head Lake’s water gets thicker.

20° F:
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.

15° F:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in New England have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0° F:
All the people in Miami die.
New Englanders close the windows.

10° below zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico.
The Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.

25° below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
People in New England get out their winter coats.

40° below zero:
Washington DC runs out of hot air.
People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.

100° below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
New Englanders get frustrated because they can’t start their “kahs.”

460° below zero:
All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale).
People in New England start saying, “cold 'nuff for ya?”!

500° below zero:
Hell freezes over.
The Red Sox win the World Series!
It’s a joke for the numbers after freezing, though (all the postive values are true). People in New England only wait until 20-30F for winter coats. I can’t imagine wearing any sort of jacket or even a hoodie in the 70s.

But what if there’s wind??

Heh… 63 as a winter temp.

My wife and I got back right before Xmas from a trip to Italy. People in Rome were bundling up in insulated coats and scarves at 63.

We two Texans just looked at each other in wonderment; she was wearing long sleeves and I was wearing short sleeves and had taken off our light fleece jackets earlier in the day.

I suppose it’s the ultimate YMMV… I see people from places like Buffalo absolutely dying in the springtime heat here… it’s only about 85. They don’t like it when I tell them that it usually averages 10 degrees hotter, and sometimes reaches 10 degrees past that.

When we were in Okinawa (quite warm there) one beautiful spring day I was out walking my dogs in the sunshine. Temp was around 70. It was lovely, I was wearing a tank top and sweating a bit. I walked by a Japanese woman wearing a full-length down parka with the hat drawn tightly around her face, gloves, and a scarf, jogging in that tiny little way Japanese women do. It was one of the more incongruous moments of my life.

From there we have moved to southern Maine. I’m actually very cold tolerant (we keep the house at 60, and I’m perfectly comfortable) but right now, damn, it’s cold outside. -10 last night when I checked before I went to bed. There is about 2’ of snow on the ground, and it doesn’t look like that’s going anywhere soon. My only real concern is that my chickens are probably quite chilly, but oh, well. Wild birds seem to survive.

Um… I keep my apartment at 15. :slight_smile:

As a Canadian: Heh. :slight_smile:

See, the thing about England is, in the last few centuries, it never got very cold there. So for a long time, they didn’t do things like proper insulation or double-paned windows or even central heating. It’s not that Europeans aren’t able to understand cold-weather design; I saw places in Helsinki that put Canadian houses to shame.

But England attains the nasty wet around-freezing weather without breaking through to the colder drier weather that is actually more comfortable.

My dad kept our house at 15…5 in the basement, 5 on the ground floor, 5 upstairs…:smiley:

Obligatory XKCD link. (See the “Temperature” box.)

51 degrees F this morning, and yes that is cold.

85ºF? (Looks up translation) 30ºC! That’s my upper limit of heat tolerance. I prefer nothing hotter than 25ºC (77ºF). We have about a week of +30 temps each year - that’s enough for me.

My car is now six years old. Its the first year I have plugged it in more than once or twice. It didn’t start on Friday. I am ashamed of my car, I am going to have to turn in my Northerner card if it keeps acting like this. It was only minus 40 something with the windchill Friday morning.

Still, I have never been to the library on a Saturday afternoon and not one of the parking spaces in front were taken. I wondered if it was closed but nope, open. I think the staff to patron ratio was seriously out of whack, there were 3 kids at a children’s program and two of them were infants in strollers accompanying parents and the older kids. (my son, two other kids his age, two babies. Three families in all and they were set up for maybe 2 dozen)

Then it warmed up and snowed. That is what the last week has been …deep freeze, warm up and snow, deep freeze, warm up and snow.

I really hate that this year I cannot afford a “hot holiday”. Instead I get to go to Winnipeg in February. :smiley: (<that is a turning blue and teeth chattering smiley)

This reminds me of one of the funniest things I ever saw at college. It was April, and finally (!!) in the mid-50s for the first time since October, and as beautiful an early spring day as there ever is in New Hamsphire. Everyone was in t-shirts and a few people had broke out their shorts…except for one family taking a prospective students’ tour. They were wearing heavy jackets, probably ordered from LL Bean, with the hoods pulled up, and the teenage girl had her arms wrapped around herself, shivering. The father looked at her and said “You know, honey, in the winter it gets cold like this up here.” And everyone who was in earshot began to laugh at them :smiley:

I’ve lived through several Februaries in Winnipeg. One does not get to go to Winnipeg in February.