You'd have to pay me to do that!

You’d have to pay me $500 to get me to go to a strip joint.

Of course, once in there, just to be sociable, I’d be obligated to give all $500 of it away to the various young females who work there in exchange for lap dances. :smiley:

Thought of another one - Taste of Chicago, and other like “street festivals.” Standing around in a street amidst a crowd of strangers eating overpriced food. Yeah boy!

But I’d be cheap on that - $50 plus my food.

I was going to say Taste of Chicago myself. I think you’d have to pay me more on the order of $200 though.

I love going to baseball games, the symphony, the opera (well, depending on the opera and the company), eating at street fairs. I would probably be OK with going to a football game or NASCAR race; despite not knowing very much about what’s going on, I’d be curious to see what all the excitement was about.

Strip clubs aren’t my thing, but I have been to them as part of bachelor party entourages. I wouldn’t quite say you’d have to pay me to go, but I would certainly not go of my own initiative.

A cigar bar is right out. I can’t stand smoke. If my friends insisted we go for social reasons I would beg off. I guess for “real” money (at least $200) I would sit in there for some limited duration of time (like 30 to 45 minutes).

“Extreme” roller coaster and other thrill rides would be my best example. Some people, many in fact, line up for 45 minutes or longer to get on these things. I’m a thrill seeker in other ways, such as weaving through NYC traffic on a motor scooter on a nearly daily basis, but don’t even relish getting on the kiddie versions of these things with my 8-year-old.

Rock climbing is another pastime I refuse to engage in. I have a fear of falling from heights, even leaning over a railing from more than 2 stories up gets me a little panicky. I don’t think any amount of money would get me to scale a real cliff side. I guess with enough safety gear that I could feel assured that I would not die, but only fall and dangle hideously before an eventual rescue, we could start talking dollars and cents.

Facials and other spa treatments. To me these are as pleasant as a medical exam, without the benefit of curing whatever drove me to the doctor. I guess I’d charge about $30/hr. to undergo these, more if the products are strongly scented.

– Watching pro wrestling
– Going to a baseball game if my friends are not coming with
– Going to a packed karaoke bar (not packed? sure. Not karaoke? why not.)

Boy, you guys are cheap! :stuck_out_tongue: My asking price for any outdoor winter activites is $500 plus a cup of hot cocoa with a shot of booze. I don’t like the cold, wet feet, or wearing winter hats.

Outdoor activities = snowboarding, skiing, snowmobiling.

Winter = temperatures below 45 degrees.

$500 to attend the annual company picnic, which is held at a local water park. I would require an additional $50 for every co-worker I see in a bathing suit, to pay for the brain bleach.

Deer hunting:

Now I am not opposed to shooting those dirty little rat bastard car wrecking crop eaters in the head a time or ten. However deer hunting combines some of my most loathsome activities all in one terrible package.

1. Getting up really early - if you can see any hint of the sun, it is two late. A good deer hunter gets up at 3:30 am or so to be situated perfectly by day break.

2. Cold weather - even in the South, it feels damp and chilly before daybreak in the fall.

3. Sitting still - Good deer hunting requires you to either just sit perfectly still moving just your eyes or to use very slow and deliberate movements for hours at a time. Church feels like the ultimate freedom in comparison.

Despite all of this, the chances or pretty good that you won’t actually see a deer or at least one that is both close enough and legal to shoot. Many people think that all deer hunting is redneck brute force type stuff and, while that does exist, most hunters like the devout ones in my family dedicate a huge amount of painstaking and incredibly boring work just to get that one shot.

Price tag: $500 per outing. I have tried it before and it was excruciating.

To get me to move somewhere that’s warm/hot all year 'round. Ugh. And the price tag is very, very high. In the millions, at least. Plus a nice home. With air conditioning. I wonder if that’s how all the rich people got there in the first place.

I can’t wait for summer to end. looks glumly at the calendar

A friend of mine once asked me to attend a Korn concert. He even offered to buy my ticket and give me a ride to and from the venue.

I told him that if he’d buy my earplugs and throw another $100 into the pot, I’d consider it.

Skiing - $1000 + expenses with a deposit of another grand for potential pain and suffering.

If it involves me being off the ground and doesn’t include the enclosure of an aircraft see above pay schedule.

Oakland Raiders home game $100, in the black hole $1000.

Pro Wrestling $100 + Tickets for me and my boys and a food allowance.

Camping. 100 bux a night if in a cabin. 1000 if in a tent.

This entire thread just comes down to personal preference, and I can understand someone not being interested in golf. But one thing I like about golf is that most golf courses are truly beautiful places. My buddies and I often say, no matter how badly we might be playing, “It’s a walk in the park!”
I’m just saying…

Read the Straight Dope Message Board. That’s why I sneak in my peaks from work. :smiley:

Oh, I’m quite aware of that. Golf courses can indeed be beautiful, and one of the best things about them is that they prevent land in suburban areas from being paved over.

But it’s the game that is the downside of playing at a golf course. I have never encountered a game which combined exasperation and boredom in such a way before.

I’d rather caddy. Honestly.

$500 plus all expenses:

Any “festival” in downtown Chicago
Hell, almost any festival in the suburb
Any sporting event other than NASCAR or a football game.

I thought I knew you well, Sunspace, but all I can say is :eek:

Any kind of car race or opera would be on my list, but I’m also starting to think that travelling on airlines might be there too. Given the lack of service that used to be standard, the packed-to-the-gills-with passengers cabins, and the lengthening lead time necessary for air travel (be at the airport with enough time to check in, go through security, and wait, wait, wait), today’s air travel, I find, has all the charm of a Greyhound bus. Maybe less.

It’s not on my list of “things you’d have to pay me to do” yet though, since I do occasionally need to get places quicker than a Greyhound bus, a train, or my own car can take me. Still, the more I fly, the closer it gets to being on my list.

I would handle air travel by putting a distance limit on it. Say, you’d have to pay me to fly anywhere that I could drive to in 4 hours or less. If travelling for personal reasons, I’d probably stretch it to 6-8 hours. If travelling for work on the company’s dime, I’ll sit in the airport and read for any trip that would require 4 or more hours of driving.

Skydiving. We can start negotiations at a million. I am just not that much of a thrill seeker.