[QUOTE=Hal Briston]
Do cars in parking lots randomly explode? Or perhaps the fear is that someone is going to surreptitiously smash in a window and make off with the kid?
Don’t get my wrong – I have a nine-month-old and I would never leave her locked in the car while I run to the ATM – but that is only because there are so many busy-bodies around here who act like it’s a capital offense to leave your kid in a locked car for a minute (even though I’ve got one eye on the car the whole time).
I look at it this way…which is more dangerous – leaving the kid in a car where someone may break into the car and kidnap the child, or carrying her across the parking lot where you may get hit by a passing car? The correct answer is “neither one is more dangerous than the other”, because neither one is going to happen. So all you’re doing is causing problems for you and the child by pulling her out of the car seat and strapping her back in two minutes later.
Unfortunately, the Culture of Fear dictates that leaving your child alone for even a second will certainly lead to that child being killed/abducted, so any terrible parent who would do so must immediately be reported to the authorities.
Although now I just go to the ATM less often.
[/QUOTE]
A-fucking-men.
There’s a world of difference between leaving your child in a closed car on a hot day for four hours and leaving your child in a closed car on a moderate or chilly day for 5 minutes - during which you’ll not be out of line-of-sight. It’s far fucking safer in the winter on snow and ice to leave the kids safely belted in then to herd them across a slippery, cold, icy parking lot where dumbass idiots are driving like cattle on PCP and don’t notice the little ones who don’t stand taller than the front bumper - even if I’m going to be gone for 10 minutes into a grocery store. No kid ever died for crying for 10 minutes.
Jesus farking Christ people, seven year olds used to raise their little siblings while Ma and Pa were out in the fields all day. It doesn’t take a great deal of cognitive power to watch your little sister for 10 fucking minutes when there are not even any outlets to stick screwdrivers into or other convenient ways to kill yourself in a parked car strapped into a carseat.
But in this zero-fucking-tolerance-pc-bullshit world, I have to expose my kids to more danger simply because I don’t know if there will be a cop and a locksmith there when I get back. And I know, you, as a bystander, don’t know how long I’ve been gone or when I’ll be back, but why the fuck would you assume I’m putting my kid in danger when it’s a small percentage of people indeed who actually do that? Fucking fuckers have fucked it up for the rest of us.
Bringing the kid to your regular hang out to meet your friends? Why not? I’d bring 'em to the office, to the knitting circle and to the gym, if those were my places of social contact. Playing with a lighter? Why not? A six month old is sure as hell not going to be able to light it, it’s just another metal doo-dad to chew on, although I wouldn’t allow it with a cheap lighter with springs and levers that could come loose and be a choking hazard. Telling other people in a bar not to smoke? That’s just fucking rude and stupid, I agree. Not watching mobile kids? Unexcusable. Letting your kids bug other people? Unforgivable. Not having a designated driver? Dumb and criminal, assuming there’s no public transportation.
But see how there’s all sorts of variables here? Saying a baby should never be in a bar is just as dumb as saying kids should always be in bars.