Your baby belongs in a bar

I grew up going on day long motorcycle rides with my grandfather, there wasn’t a hole in the wall bar he didn’t stop at. Pabst for him, Shirley Temple for me. Looking back, it probably wasn’t the most enriching place he could have taken me, but it was during the day, generally nice folks there and I can say no harm, no foul. Then again, it was decades before I realized my grandfather was an alcoholic. He just always had a beer. always

I think most folks recognize the difference between a pub-like atmosphere and a bar. We have Beef O’Brady’s here that are “family bars.” I can’t fathom hanging out there with my child, but I don’t hang out in bars.

Re: ATM/Convenience stores and babies. It’s a huge pain in my ass. I can’t remember the last time I went in one. Convenient for who? Not for the person with a baby that has to be woken up, unstrapped, hauled in, carried around, hauled back out, strapped back in and soothed from being messed with. Since I had my kid, I believe everything should have a drive through.

FWIW, I’m not a drinker, but once I gave birth, I never wanted a drink so bad. Of course, during they told me I could have one, after they told me I couldn’t because I was breast feeding. Bah, the world is against me being an alcoholic.

[QUOTE=GLWasteful]
Y’see what I’m saying?

Now c’mere and lemme buy you a drink.

Despite my eternally sunny and optimistic outlook, I prefer the company of assholes.

I’m just kinda funny that way.
[/QUOTE]

I’m still waiting for my drink.

[QUOTE=Skald the Rhymer]
I’m still waiting for my drink.
[/QUOTE]

Shoot me an email with your preference and address, and an airline bottle with whatever set-up you so desire will be winging it’s way toward you.

[QUOTE=Auntbeast]
I grew up going on day long motorcycle rides with my grandfather…
[/QUOTE]
Uh oh…I smell a whole 'nother pit thread coming.

[QUOTE=Hal Briston]
Do cars in parking lots randomly explode? Or perhaps the fear is that someone is going to surreptitiously smash in a window and make off with the kid?

Don’t get my wrong – I have a nine-month-old and I would never leave her locked in the car while I run to the ATM – but that is only because there are so many busy-bodies around here who act like it’s a capital offense to leave your kid in a locked car for a minute (even though I’ve got one eye on the car the whole time).

I look at it this way…which is more dangerous – leaving the kid in a car where someone may break into the car and kidnap the child, or carrying her across the parking lot where you may get hit by a passing car? The correct answer is “neither one is more dangerous than the other”, because neither one is going to happen. So all you’re doing is causing problems for you and the child by pulling her out of the car seat and strapping her back in two minutes later.

Unfortunately, the Culture of Fear dictates that leaving your child alone for even a second will certainly lead to that child being killed/abducted, so any terrible parent who would do so must immediately be reported to the authorities.

Although now I just go to the ATM less often.
[/QUOTE]

My oldest hates getting in and out of the car, so I just work extra hard to get the spot right in front of the ATM.