Your Easter Dinner

Capetown Lamb
Roasted asparagus
Roasted potatoes
Roasted cauliflower
Possibly garlic sautéed mushrooms
Honey walnut cake, with bonus orange zest, made with some fabulous Kurdish wildflower honey we brought back from a trip a couple of years ago

I don’t normally do Easter (being a Jewish agnostic and all), but I thought a nice dinner might cheer up a close HS friend, whose sister died precipitously earlier this week of cancer (yes, it was found at Stage 4 only a few months ago, but apparently she was doing more or less OK until her liver shut down last weekend). But I don’t think he’s coming after all, because he says that he can’t deal with people today. Which is certainly understandable.

My Darlin’ is cooking-up a city ham and biscuits. Additionally, we’re having broccoli/cheese/rice casserole. And we’ll be finishing the meal off with banana pudding. It was her first time making the BP -meringue and all. Can’t wait to try it.

Oh, and we’ve got the nice china on the table. Looks pretty.

My husband and daughter went out to dig for clams. Now I have a couple dozen clams that urgently need integration into Easter dinner. I am passive-aggressively refusing the participate in that quandary. I have the rest of the food to worry about.

Went out for Easter for the first time in decades.Usually hate the Easter brunch scene, but we walked down to our local new thang, modern American/local food. Hot toddies (made with sherry, honey and something HOT!–white pepper?), waffles with strawberries (start of the season here) and cream, duck confit tamales, a side of grits and a biscuit.

Pretty damn good.

I ate at Fazoli’s.

Chicken burritos.

Leftover chicken curry from Friday night

My sister’s ham, scalloped potatoes, grilled asparagus, and green bean casserole.

And from the other guests: enough appetizers to put me in a food coma before dinner even started. :smiley:

A 4-lb Hormel Cure-81 ham that will feed us for a long time, scalloped potatoes, broccoli, fruit salad, bakery buns, and a lemon cream pie for dessert. And lots of jelly beans and Easter candy, plus potato salad made from the hard-boiled eggs later with ham sandwiches.

It was just the 2 of us for the first time in a long time, so we threw some ribs in the oven (stupid rain), mashed a few potatoes with green onions and cheese, and roasted some asparagus. Yum.

My aunt had about a bajillion people over (rough estimate: 20 including 6 children from 6 weeks to 7 years old) so we had a big meal: ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, rice pilaf with dried fruit and macadamia nuts, macaroni and cheese, ginger shrimp slaw, green salad with hemp seeds or sunflower seeds as desired, fruit salad, rolls. Deviled eggs both before and during the main course. Appetizers for grazing were hot smoked salmon and cream cheese for crackers, a cheese ball, and an herbed cheese spread. Dessert included sawdust pie (pecan and coconut), jamberry pie, lemon bundt cake (my contribution), the leftover fruit salad, Danish puff, cookies and strawberries, brownies, and whipped cream. I think that’s everything but I might have missed something.

To clarify: my aunt made the ham, turkey, potatoes, gravy, and maybe the rolls (sometimes it’s her and sometimes a guest does it), the appetizers, and the brownies. The deviled eggs are made communally after the egg hunt. Everything else was brought potluck.

Mom and my Sister made:
Ham
mashed tators and gravy
cole slaw
green bean casserole
sweet Peas
I brought Baked corn
dessert was my grandmother’s recipe, buttermilk Texas sheet cake an Easter tradition for more then my entire 38 years of existence

Ham with pineapple sauce.
Orange cauliflowers.
Mashed potatoes.
Corn.
Green Beans.
Dinner rolls.

We did brunch. Two kinds of quiche, a cheesy potato dish and a fruit salad.

It was so filling, I didn’t even need dinner.

My mom hosted. Appetizers (??) were chicken strips with BBQ sauce, tater tots wrapped in bacon, deviled eggs, and sliced Polish sausage - kinda heavy on the proteins there, huh?

Dinner was ham, twice baked potatoes, cucumber salad, pasta salad, slaw, corn, asparagus, and assorted breads. Altho by the time dinner was served (about half an hour after the appetizers) I couldn’t even manage half of the offerings. And Mom sent us all home with a couple of chocolate bunnies and whatever leftovers we wanted - I just took some cake and let my sibs fight over the rest.

My mother always makes too much then makes sure everyone takes the leftovers - as if we couldn’t afford to feed ourselves… :smiley:

Salmon on the grill and a nice salad.

MilliCal is a vegetarian, which makes all meals interesting, especially holiday ones.

Potatoes au gratin with asparagus

Salad

Vegetable Burger or ham slice
And there was a lot of chocolate to choose from for dessert.

My regular I’m-eating-alone-on-a-holiday-but-still-want-something-holidayish meal:

Cornish game hen with walnut-water chestnut stuffing
Wild rice
Asparagus in lemon butter
Roll
Individual size cheesecake with strawberries this time

I went to my best friends’ house for an afternoon dinner with them and some of their family who I’ve known for so long that we now all hug each other hello and goodbye. The amazing menu was:

Baked ham (from Honeybaked)
Homemade deviled eggs
Homemade foccacia bread
Homemade wheat rolls
Homemade macaroni and cheese
Asparagus
Green salad
Homemade cheesecake

I took some leftover mac and cheese and a slice of cheesecake home to have for dinner late last night. Yum. :slight_smile:

A follow-up: I seared the chops in a heavy stainless pan that distributes heat really well, then popped them into the 400F oven. They cooked up nicely and I pulled them out, setting the pan on the stove. Transferred the chops to a plate and went back for the potatoes; noticed that the handle of the chop pan was sticking out where it might get bumped, so grabbed it to move it. Did I mention that this pan is really efficient at heat distribution? Turns out, it also holds onto said heat very, very well.

I did the OWOWOWOWOW! dance for a few seconds before rushing to the cold water tap. Luckily no blisters, but it was sore for several hours afterward. The skin is still a little tender this morning, but I can live with it. What an idiot.