Your Favorite Beef Recipes

There are currently two other threads in this forum that concern beef.

One is “A filet mignon well done” - A filet mignon well done?!?! - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board

The other is “What is the best meal you ever had” - What is the best meal you've ever had? - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board

But this thread is for posting your favorite recipes for preparing beef. Some people have referenced different recipes and I thought it might be best to start a new thread dedicated to favorite recipes for beef.

There are many other sites and threads that deal with recipes. Most deal with recipes of all kinds. But this thread is just for recipes that deal with beef. That includes:

. Steaks and Filets
. Briskets
. Roast Beef
. Any and all other cuts of beef

Many people have discussed techniques for cooking steaks, filets and roasts of beef in one of the other two threads I referred to above.

I’d like to start off this thread with my favorite recipe for “Pot Roast” aka “Roast Beef”. This recipe includes potatoes, carrots & onions and it is fabulously delicious. I guarantee it. The Wayne family (entirely fictitous BTW) prides itself on many years of experience perfecting this recipe (about 3 years to be precise - but it’s still truly delicious - Honest!)
DELICIOUS POT ROAST

1. Start with the size of roasting pan (with lid) you want for the number of guests you need to feed. I use a medium pan and that makes a small roast with lots of vegetables and sauce.
    I’m not fussy about measurements. I like to cook by “feel”. You just get variations on the flavor and it’s all good. I guess the best way to describe it is make sure the pan is about twice the size of the roast. That will give you lots of vegetables and sauce.

Anyway, in a medium roasting pan, put the roast - fat side up. Then add:

2 cups of red fruit juice (I like cranberry combined with strawberry or cherry)
2 cups of water (just approximate the liquid to the size of your pan)
1 can mushroom soup
1 package onion soup
1 small tin of tomato paste (3 or 4 TBS)
2 medium onions cut into slices (so you get rings in the sauce)
(but you can cut them however you like)
4 or 5 medium potatoes cut into small pieces
2 or 3 medium carrots cut into small pieces
1 t of nice vinegar (not white - balsamic or brown) (optional)
a few pinches green herbs - thyme, basil & oregano are all good (optional)

Cover it up and put it in a 350 degree oven.

I find it takes at least 2 hours for a small roast but 3 hours is fine too. Sometimes I cook it for longer and it makes the meat softer. It depends how you like the meat. If you’re unsure, just ask the butcher how long it should be roasted in a covered pan. I love to serve it all smothered in the sauce.

Marinated, broiled skirt steak:

Take a skirt steak and marinate it (for a few hours, or overnight) in whatever sauces you like. I use a combination of Worcestershire, fish sauce, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and red wine. Then put it in the oven on broil for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Very easy, and very flavorful steak.

Easy roast beef:

I like it simple. Mix some salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and olive oil together. Liberally apply to meat surface. Stick in your temperature probe and roast at 500 degrees for 5 minutes/pound. When the time is up, turn the oven off and walk away. Don’t open the door, don’t turn on the light, just leave it be. Check the temp at about 90 minutes and monitor until it hits your target temperature.

Ribeye, salt and pepper. Cook in an oven at 225 until internal temperature is appropriate to your taste (I go for 123).

After removing from the oven, let the steak rest for a few minutes.

Finish the steak either in a blazing, blazing, blazing hot cast iron skillet or on a charcoal grill. That’s strictly a preference issue. The grill gives a better char, the skillet is easier and lets you finish with butter if you so desire. Only leave the steak on the heat for about a minute per side. You’re not cooking it through. If your steak is thick enough, do the edges as well.

Serve immediately. You already let the steak rest after removing it from the oven.

But yeah - beef, salt, pepper.

I post this one so much it should be my sig line: Hamburgers!

Beef should be 80/20 chuck. Any less fat, and the burgers will be dry; any more, and your grill will flame up way too much from the dripping grease. Form your patties, as thick as you like. Season both sides with onion salt and black pepper, and nothing else; you’re making burgers, not steaks. Let them rest a few minutes to sort of “set” so they don’t fall apart or puff up when you grill them.

If your grill has a thermometer, you want your heat to be around 450-500. Here’s where I deviate from what’s considered the norm: flip often. I flip around every minute and a half until they reach my desired degree of doneness. Then, take them off and let them rest again. If you’re making cheeseburgers, put the cheese on them for the final minute of grilling so that the cheese can melt.

Once they’ve had a good 4-5 minute rest, put 'em on buns, garnish with whatever, and serve.

I made Ann Burrell’s recipe for Braised Short Ribs, and it was outstanding. Braised fatty beef is better than many steaks, in my opinion.

Roast Prime Rib

Ingredients:

1 Prime Rib of Beef
Salt
Pepper

Beef bourguignon, a la Julia Child.

Trying at least one Julia Child recipe is definitely on my bucket list.

IMHO, she was one of the world’s leading human beings. I love stories of people who just struggle and struggle and and struggle against the ignorance and stupidity of the establishment but never give up and eventually emerge victorious.

There is a very nice film called “Julie And Julia” about her life. Unfortunately it is about more than just her life. But it’s still a very fine film.

Thank you for mentioning Julia Child. I must try one of her recipes.

I thought this was total hoakum until I tried it. I didn’t turn the oven completely off (left it at 175 degrees) because my oven is old and I wasn’t sure it would hold the heat long enough, but other than that, I changed nothing. I used the cheapest, toughest roast I could find (Eye of round roast) and it was flat out amazing. Perfectly medium rare, tender and juicy, etc. Highly recommended.

^^That is an excellent roasting method for beef, and works incredibly well with eye round. It’s a great way to get a decent small roast. I don’t think I’ve ever done more than 2 prime ribs in a year at home so most roast beef I make will be smaller cuts like that.

You can also wrap the meat in foil after the 5 minutes per pound heating. Just start the roast laid on a couple of layers of foil, when the time is up pull the roast out and wrap the foil around it. Keep the heat on another 5 minutes to let the oven return to temperature then turn it off. This will help with larger roasts so you don’t have to leave the heat on. Either way if you like rare then don’t leave a low heat on, you want the heat to diffuse slowly through to the center of the roast. I prefer a gradual change from a well done surface slowly down to very pink in the center so I’ll unwrap the foil and turn the heat up again when the interior reaches about 120F to get that.

Thank you for the tip, I will try that next time. :slight_smile:

I just like the deadcow!

I guess my favourite would be prime rib (USDA Prime standing rib roast). It’s easy, and really delicious. I make it once a year.

Dad made pot roast, probably using a recipe from Campbell’s or Lipton. Get a 7-bone roast with the bone removed and put it in a roasting pan. Dad arranged russet potato wedges, onion wedges, mushrooms (he used ones from a can), carrot pieces, and green bell pepper slices in discrete sections around the roast so that they could be served separately. He put Lipton Onion Soup Mix and Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup over the meat, covered the pan, and roasted it in the oven. Real '50s/'60s cooking there! But I like it. (Only, I use fresh mushrooms.)

Meatloaf? I use ⅔ beef and ⅓ pork, per dad’s Lipton recipe.

The corner market has excellent ribeye steaks. Those usually get pan-fried in cast-iron with simple seasoning.

Machaca.

Shaved Beef Salad.

There is also a very good film called “Pulp Fiction” that involves someone named “Jules” but as far as I know, except for the name it doesn’t seem as if there’s any connections to Julia Child although the characters often eat during the movie (I mean, eat food. In the movie. Although the actors eat too. But not on-screen. . Do you think there is a Jules/Julia connection? It’s a nifty film.

Tri-Tip

mix salt/pepper/seasonings in a smallish bowl with oil, (I dont recomend olive due to its low smoke point)
brush oil/seasonings onto meat
place in smoker for a couple hours at sub 130 temps
bring up to 135 ish and remove
cover and let rest for 5 min
with the meat laying flat and the long side of the triangle nearest to you make thin cuts starting with the far tip at a 45 deg angle to the cutting board.

heaven.

As French cooking goes, this is one of the easier dishes to make. Yes, I’ve seen the movie.

I like beef plain and then cooked. I like Beef marinated and then cooked. I like Beef plain and then cooked and then sauce added such as your A1s, ketchups, mustards, blue cheeses and what have you. I like your Matthew Mcconaugheys and Sam Elliots who do commercials for beef.

There is a movie called “Pretty Woman” that stars Julia Roberts. There might be a connection there.

I’ve been a student of Brisket for the last few years.

I cut off moats of the fat, and use a dry rub which is one part white sugar, one part brown sugar one half part salt, and one part secret spices of which I shall speak no further. I rub it and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.

I place it in my big green egg and smoke it at 225 with Apple wood, mesquite and hickory for at least 12 hours and as much as 18.

I sprinkle more of the dry rub on tin foil, add maple syrup, but the brisket on the tin foil, pour on a cup or two of apple cider vinegar, maybe a little more rub, wrap it up tight and pit it back in the smoker (or the oven) for another two hours.

I like to serve it with French fries and broiled vegetables (asparagus halved Brussels sprouts, broccoli and eggplant slices coated in olive oil salt and pepper spread on a cookie sheet and broiled at high for ten or fifteen minutes.)

I’ll add that if you make your patties with a sort of dish-shape or divot in the top, as they shrink, they’ll level out and be even, while if you make your patties even to start with, you get the dreaded dome-top patty.

Also, fish sauce in moderation is excellent in a burger; adds a lot of umami without changing the flavor.

And… in a kind of weird name-dropping situation, my wife and her sister actually went to high school with Julie Powell. They weren’t fans.

I’ve tried to understand what you are saying. But I’m afraid that I’m unable.

I saw the film “Julie & Julia” and I can tell you for sure that about half of that movie was about Julia Child and the struggles she had to overcome in her life. IMHO, It was a very “uplifting” film and well worth the time to watch it.

I don’t understand what you mean about a connection in the “Pulp Fiction” film. I have seen that film as well and I can tell you that it most certainly is not about Julia Child. Honest.