Your favorite contradictory (or other interesting) business signs

Nice stuff - are these local to you or did you find them on your travels?

The only one I don’t get is the last one - huh? You can do this in a spoiler if needed.

I’m guessing that it’s in the pricing. Add the 6 pc to the 9pc and compare with the price of the 15 pc.

Yeah, the 15 pc. order is a rip. But try buying a 6 pc. and a 9 pc. and I bet the store insists on charging you for 15 pieces.

Yeah, I was signed in to my FB account, and I couldn’t see the picture.

I’ve seen that abroad, too. Someone knew just enough English to try to fashion an “OPEN” sign by copying a “CLOSED” sign, but didn’t know the function of the word sorry.

ETA – That is to say, something like what cochrane said, but not intentional, I think

Alright, Photobucket seems to be “working” now, if you can call it that. The site has gone completely to shit with too many ads. Still wondering what the deal is with the pic not working on FB.

Before you click on that, be warned it’s a picture of a picture. The original was grainy taken circa July of 1996 with an Advantix camera. It was in North Dakota. It’s a Subway sandwich shop with 2 banners reading “Leeches” and “Live Bait”. There were no rivers or lakes close by. What your looking at is a phone pic of the sliver of the pic that’s been in my scrapbook for 22+ years.

Trying to joke with a Marine Guard on duty is rarely going to work… :slight_smile:

My all-time favorite business sign, one I passed by often as I traveled Varick Street in New York City:

AMPLE SUPPLY COMPANY

Underneath the letters was a belt with a somewhat wide belly straining under it.

I don’t know what they did exactly but it always made me giggle as I walked by. I sometimes wondered if they were a subsidiary of Acme. :smiley:

OMG, they’re still in business! 159 Varick St, New York, NY 10013. If any of you go past there tell me if the sign’s still there! I’d love to see a picture of it. (They are NOT affiliated with the Ample Supply Company in Illinois.)

My new fave thrift store has prominent signs reading “Never buy new again.”

Of course they have some new, unopened, unused items for sale. Most common on parts used for home improvement but I’ll find clothing with the original tags on them.

So I can’t buy those items in the store???

In Saugatuck, Michigan, which is an artsy little getaway for locals, one of the art stores has a huge ‘‘GOING OUT FOR BUSINESS’’ sign plastered on his front window. He’s been there, with that same sign, for over 10 years, and the last time we went in there, he pointed out it very intentionally says ‘‘Going out for business,’’ IOW it’s a bit of deception intended to create intrigue.

Sorry. I don’t mean to be critical, but the picture is very tiny, about the size of a postage stamp, and if I try to blow it up, it’s too blurry to make out anything at all.

FWIW, you can directly link to a photo from your Facebook account. Just click “View Full Size,” then copy and paste the link from your browser bar.

For example, here’s a picture of my dog.

Do the math on the wings. Pretend you’re interested in 9 of them for dinner.

I don’t see anything silly, if you’re interested in getting 9 of them for dinner.

It only seems to get silly if you’re interested in getting 15 of them for dinner, since it’d cost less to instead buy 9 for dinner while buying another 6 for dinner.

Someone just posted on Facebook in the last month or so a different picture of a store where there was a “Save $0.00” on the markdown tag. There were a whole bunch of them all clustered in the same area too. I suspect that a company wanted their products to be featured and would pay for there to be signs indicating savings, but didn’t want to give an actual discount to the store selling them, so the store just didn’t mark them down.

Either that or somebody in IT didn’t write the discounting code to catch that glitch.

e.g. take X% off as input by management, then adjust the price (usually upwards) to end in $X.X9. For certain combos of price and discount, those two actions will offset to within a penny. If they did the checking using floating point numbers but then rounded to the penny for display you’d see things like

It’s stuff like this that makes computer programming tedious Asbergery work for tedious Asbergery wankers.

:smack:

That’s what I meant! “Hello, I’d like 9 wings please. Oh and I’d also like an order of 6 wings”.

Heh. Interesting. In that case, that definitely seems like it was designed to draw attention to that product. (In mine, it was just one product marked that way. The rest of them were the usual $0.20-$1 off).

Some PR flacks back in the pre-social media dark ages used to say “any publicity is good publicity”.

Somehow I doubt that in 2017 being the laughingstock of TwitFace and being roundly accused of deceptive marketing will turn out to be a win for these bozos.

I agree, and I hope they lose the House and the Senate in 2018.