Your favorite "fancy" pizza

Run-of-the-mill pizzas like hand-tossed crust with pepperoni, mushroom, olives, etc. don’t count. I’m talking about the kind of pizza that’s either just a bit out of the ordinary so it sounds interesting, or so weird that nobody but you would eat it. It can come from a pizzeria, or be homemade, as long as it’s different.

Mine is Pizza Pizza’s Meditteranean Vegetarian pizza. Whole wheat crust, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, broccoli, zucchini, red onion and kalamata olives. God I love that pizza.

What’s yours?

A place nearby makes fancy square thin-crust pizzas. I like the version with roasted chicken, goat cheese, basil leaves, and sundried tomatoes.

And now I’m hungry.

That sounds really good.

My tummy’s rumbly now too. :stuck_out_tongue:

There was a place around here years ago that made a pizza with maraschino cherries and shrimp. It was certainly different, but it didn’t suck. I had it once just to try it, and ended up ordering it a few more times. If you like pineapple on pizza, the cherries are ok.

Also, small squids are not uncommon for pizza in the Adriatic sea area. Not bad if you like squid. But my favorite is Dalmatian Prosciutto. Mmmmmmmmm.

I’ve put spinach and prosciutto on plain cheese pizzas to liven them up. I’ve always wanted to try broccoli and zucchini though.

Chicken, roast peppers and smoked gouda.

Or roast peppers, red onions and feta.

I had an amazing “gourmet” pizza once with jerk shrimp, barbecue sauce, smoked gouda cheese, red onion, pineapple, and diced jalapenos. It was pretty freakin’ good.

I’m generally a sucker for roasted red peppers, fresh basil, prosciutto, jerk chicken, and genoa salami on pizzas as well.

California Pizza Kitchen has a fabulous pear/gorgonzola pizza that’s just out of this world. Drool . . .

prosciutto, kalamata olives (chopped), feta cheese and artichoke hearts. Like I died and went to Salty Goodness Heaven.

But I also really like the pear/gorgonzola pizza N. Sane mentions.

There’s a spot in Belevedere Square called Egyptian Pizza that makes a fantastic brick oven seafood pizza. It has shrimp, crab meat and scallops atop cheese and pizza sauce. It is divine.

My own invention: homemade pizza with smoked chicken, goat cheese, carmelized onions, and freshly-picked wild blueberries. Heaven!

I think we should all go to supper at Athena’s house! :slight_smile:

The California Pizza Kitchen’s Thai Chicken Pizza.

AAARGH!

AAAAARRRRGGHHH!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

This must be a form of torture, these descriptions. I am pizza-less and suffering.

BTW, I hear that in Japan squid ink is a common pizza topping in lieu of tomato sauce. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it good or nasty?

You brought this on yourself, you know. And you’re bringing the rest of us down with you! I’m supposed to go to a friend’s for a BBQ supper, and now I have to figure out how to get them to BBQ me a pizza with smoked gouda and peppers.

There’s one I make - lessee. Broccoli, sundried tomatoes, chicken, and mozz cheese, accompanied by olive oil (brushed over the crust) and romano cheese, spooned over the crust and smooshed out. There’s some garlic in there too. It’s outstanding.

And the California Pizza Kitchen’s Wild Mushroom pizza is excellent.

Another pizza that’s great is a baked potato pizza. Chunks of potato, bacon, chives, and cheddar, served with sour cream. It’s really worth trying, if you can find it.

I’ve made pizza on the grill before(*).

I guess that would be one of my nominations. . .a grilled pizza with grilled toppings.

We’ve made a prosciutto/peach/gorgonzola pizza before.

There’s a place in town that makes some Indian type pizzas, like pizza with tandoori chicken on it with a chutney dipping sauce, but I don’t think it’s great.

I made a pizza with shrimp and a coconut-peanut sauce on it once. Not my greatest invention. I don’t actually like shrimp on pizza too much. . .too much of a a clash of textures - you need to “rip through” the shrimp too much to avoid eating the whole piece, and invariably you’re left with a strand, so you pull the whole shrimp off anyway. Too much hassle.

(*) Primer: Any meats, grill separately. Use a thin pizza dough, well-oiled. Keep the dough away from direct heat. Slide it onto the grill, then top it immediately with sauce and cheese. When the dough has risen and the cheese has melted (only a few minutes), remove and top with the grilled meats. It’s good, but more work than it’s worth.

Japanese pizzas are a famous subject of conversation and humor on the Internet, and there are many pages devoted to them. The toppings are usually weird to the point of scary, and the pizzas themselves can cost upwards of $50 U.S. Here’s the first page I Googled up:
http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

The most unusual I ever got was in college, our favorite pizza was garlic and crab.

I never was fond of fruit on pizza. Unless it’s strictly a fruit pizza (i.e. dessert pizza) and has no cheese or tomato sauce on it.

I…I know. :frowning: I think I expected the descriptions to be less amazingly good and more horribly weird. :stuck_out_tongue:

Snickers, that first one sounds awesome. The baked potato one sounds strange but I’d try it. :wink: