Your favorite off the wall lyrics analyses.

The worst lyrics thread got me thinking about how different people interpret songs in their own unique ways. I would never say anyone was wrong in their interpretations, just different from mine.

My son tells me that Outkast’s Bombs Over Baghdad is about safe sex.
Don’t pull the trigger unless you plan to bang
Don’t even bang unless you plan to hit something.
means don’t have unprotected sex unless you want a baby. And the repeated line
Bob your head, ragtop.
Bob your head, ragtop

is a call for all guys to wear condoms.
My son, however, got nothing for
Bible music and electric revival though.

I had a friend who was convinced Love Her Madly by The Doors was about anal sex.
Don’t you love her as she’s walking out the door really means “do her in her backdoor.”
I’ve got a song theory too. I don’t really think Chuck Berry is singing about silver bells on a string.

Welcome to the Hotel California: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=57033

I must’ve fallen off of a turnip truck. I just found out that Melanie’s Brand New Key isn’t entirely about roller skating and John Lennon probably had something rather specific in mind when he wrote Please Please Me.

It’s actually “power music, electric revival.”

*Shiny purple fishes

Run laughing through your fingers

And you want to take her with you

To the heartland of the Winter*
was actually a coded message from the Illuminati to LBJ telling him not to run against Nixon.

My favorite *Off The Wall * lyrics?

*I wanna rock with you (all night)
Dance you into day (sunlight)
I wanna rock with you (all night)
We’re gonna rock the night away *
Well, you asked. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah! That makes much more sense.

No. No it doesn’t.

The Abstinence movement, of course! G

I always prefer to interpret Lou Reed’s Waiting for the Man as a gay song about a guy waiting for his (male) date. Because heroin is just depressing to think about, mmkay. I like the song much better when I can think that the “26 dollars, in my hand” is for him to take his sweetheart out to dinner, maybe a movie? And that’s also the reason he denys he’s chasing the women around.

It works if I don’t pay too much attention to the lyrics.

Dream Theater’s Innocence Faded (Awake, 1994).

Come on, you haven’t got a clue. Just admit it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, I miss old Petrucchi lyrics. I really don’t know how many hours I’ve spent attempting to visualise his fuzzy-claused mixed similic metaphors and bizarre imagery.

…I miss all of DT’s old lyrics. Take this short section of Metropolis Pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper (Images and Words, 1992).

The night shed a tear
To tell her her fear and her sorrow and pain
She’ll never outgrow

It has inverted syntax (I believe that’s the right term) and, apart from the last word, amphibrachal meter. And the music changes direction halfway through a line as well…

Compare with the first verse of Honor Thy Father (Train of Thought, 2003).

We’re taught unconditional love
That blood is thicker than water
That a parent’s world would revolve
Always around their son or their daughter

That is not a proper lyric! If I can punctuate it into standard, literary English*, then it is not a lyric. It is… well, I can’t think of the proper term right now and I don’t know what to whack into Google, but it’s just not cricket.

cough cough …Sorry about the hijack.

*two semi-colons and a full stop, I reckon.

I posted a thread sometime last year requesting interpretation of Foo Fighters’ All My Life lyrics. No one knew.

Hey don’t let it go to waste
I love it but I hate the taste
Weight keeeeepin’ me down.

I’ve told myself Dave’s singing about light beer and now I can sleep at night.

Actually it doesn’t matter what the song’s about, it rocks and I love it.