Your geographical extremes

Northernmost: Prudhoe Bay, Alaska
Southernmost: Johannesburg, SA
Easternmost: where does east meet west? I’ve been to Vietnam and Japan, also to Istanbul Turkey and Egypt (do they qualify as east?)
Westernmost: I suppose Adak, AK since it approaches the International Dateline

I’m measuring E & W from my place of birth, New York, NY.

North: London, England
South: Aruba, N.A.
East: Cairo, Egypt
West: Los Angeles, CA

Highest: Mexico City, Mexico (possibly–I don’t think I’ve been anywhere else notable for altitude)

Lowest: Sea level, various places.

North - Jasper, British Columbia
South - The Apostles, south coast of Australia
East - Just over the line to the east of the prime meridian outside of London, England
West - Just over the line to the west of the prime meridian.

North: Minneapolis, Minnesota
South: Atlanta, Georgia
West: Santa Monica, California
East: Burlington, New Jersey

North: Narvik, Norway
South: Sharm el Sheik, Egypt (avid SCUBA diver, okay? :P)
East: St Petersburg, Russia
West: Seattle, Wa

Lowest: Dead Sea, Israel
Highest: Unknown, but probably some fjord in Norway

:confused:

Aren’t those, by definition, the least far east and west you’ve been?

And :confused: number 2, kombatminipig, aren’t fjords at, um, sea level?

North: Amsterdam, Netherlands
South: Gatun Lake, Panama
East: Rome, Italy
West: Ventura, California
Highest: Mexico City
Lowest: Death Valley

Measure from your home. For me, living in Chicago, I travel east to anyplace between Chicago and India and west to anyplace between Chicago and China. Of course, if you’ve been around the world, then the previous no longer applies and you no longer have personal east-west extremes.

So, is “home” where you live now or where you were born?

OK, I have been around the world, though my journey around the world took about 40 years, and included crossing the Pacific back and forth more than a dozen times. (It started when I left London in 1961, and ended when I first crossed the Atlantic and arrived in London in 2004).

North: Sapporo, Japan
South: Bali, Indonesia
West: Jaisalmer, India
East: Long Island, NY

Highest: Kala Patar, Nepal 18,000’+
Lowest: Bad Water, Death Valley, CA

North: Whitehorse
South & West: Honolulu
East: Dubai

Highest: Logan Pass
Lowest: Badwater

North: Within a loud shout of the North Pole - Under the ice.
South: Diego Garcia.
East: New London, CT.
West: Bahrain - Might also count as furthest east, but I came to it from the West.

Deepest (not counting ‘test depth’): Death Valley.
Highest: Pike’s Peak.

Tranquilis, a co-worker of mine did make it to the North Pole via a craft such as yours. Punched through and walked around along with the other crew members or so for an hour or so. Left a message in a bottle (20 years ago–no response yet).
I concede my “northern-most” standing to you, since it wasn’t commercial. For that matter, since you came “west” to Diego Garcia, I would presume you’ve crossed the Int’l Date Line which more or less is as “east” & “west” as they get. And I bet your depth would exceed everyone else’s, but you can’t talk about it. About the only way a Doper could beat that is a deep sea submersible, or a trip to a gold mine in South Africa.

I’m envious of your co-worker. We had places to go and things to do, so could only wave (metaphorically-speaking) at the Geo. N. Pole as we went steaming past. Fact is, we never got a chance to test the ‘under ice’ position on the fairwater planes except after coming out of the yard; always too busy doing other things.

I suppose the Int’l. Date Line does pretty much define things, from a global perspective. I tend to think in the frame of reference of the US West Coast, but that still makes Bahrain some 192 or 193 degrees around the globe from where I started. Not a circumnavigation, but not bad.

There are a few other submariners on the board; saturation divers and South African miners do seem likely to be the only ones likely gang any deeper than us bubbleheads.

Northernmost: Stockholm, Sweden at 59 17 north

Southernmost: Adelaide, South Australia 34 55 south

West: By longitude, Honolulu, Hawaii 157 50 west
By distance traveled westward: Xian, China 108 55 east

East: By longitude and distance traveled, Sefat, Israel 35 29 east

Highest: Breckenridge, Colorado, and nearby, about 10,000 feet

Lowest: Dead Sea, Israel

North: Copenhagen, Denmark. (Actually I might have been further north, but I forget the name of the other town I visited).
East: Fiji (179 degrees east, according to Wikipedia)
South: Wherever they have the airport in New Zealand. Alternately, if just landing at an airport and taking off again doesn’t count, Fiji again (18 south)
West: Honolulu (again, airport, else Portland, OR)
Low: Dead Sea
High: No earthly idea. I’ve been up to high altitudes in Tanzania, India, and bits of the States, but never really done any mountain climbing.

North: Anchorage
South: Maui
Been around the world so N/A on 3 and 4
West by distance traveled from home: Hong Kong
East by distance traveled from home: Moscow

Highest: Somewhere in the Colorado Rockies (RMNP, maybe)
Lowest: A cave in Bermuda (I think it’s below sea level), otherwise sea level

When I was on the ice pack, I thought I was one of the crew designated to go to Pole to meet a sub which would punch through. Turns out the mission deputy mislead me. However, while clear and calm at our site, the weather at the pole forced an abort; they never did rendezvous with the sub.

My friend, also underwent the Order of the Blue Nose. Since he was a ‘civvie’, he didn’t have to participate; but he went ahead because, hey, you get a cool certificate. They smeared some sort of paste/grease which required gobs of hot water to remove, which coincidentally wasn’t “working” at the end of the ceremony. He said it was awful, but it was worth going to get to the pole with some respect. Unfortunately, the whateverthatstuffis was so foul as to required surfacing to suck in some new air while on patrol. I’ve often wondered how affected the sealth aspect of the mission. But I’m pretty sure they were never allowed to use that particular odor ever again.

No east and west, since I went all the way around twice. Tahiti and Hawaii are the nominal land stops.

North is Iceland, south is Argentina and Cape Town South Africa (CCape Agulhas, actually, where the Atlantic, Indian and Southern Oceans meet)

Highest would be Mt. Kilimanjaro and lowest Death Valley

Bummer about missing your chance.

The various ‘Crossing the Line’ ceremonies can be a bit gnarly. Shellback, Golden Dragon, Blue Nose… All involved events that will test your gag reflex. Just missed a chance at Golden Shellback (0’ 00" - 180’ 00"). shrug Oh, well.

ETA: My handle comes from my Shellback initiation - I’m a Spiny Shellback from the Sea of Tranquility.