Your Nomination(s) For Worst Film Of 2010

Right there tgere with you. Secretariat is one of the worst of the year. Mostly the script to blame.

My nom goes to the last airbender. No redeeming qualities. None. Not even camp value.

I have a feeling that I wouldn’t have much in common with a person who didn’t trust the consensus of a broad range of critics, people who write about film for a living, that can be found at Rotten Tomatoes.

Okay, so you believe critics are a bunch of snooty know-nothings because they hated “Saw 3D” and you thought it was the best movie you’ve ever seen. Then instead of Rotten Tomatoes, head on over to MetaCritic which scores films based on critics and audience scores for a better read on the probable quality of your movie choices.

I accept that not everybody goes to the movies for the same reasons and that some might end up in a stinker due to peer pressure, family pressure or because they just don’t care about seeing only good movies. I’m just pointing out, to those who want to avoid disappointment, that there is information available to help you make a wise choice.

And also to remind you that even the worst movies make lots of money for the producers. “Vampires Suck”, by all accounts one of the worst things released this year, with a lowly 18 score at Metacritic, made $36,658,108 with a $20,000,000 estimated budget. This encourages studio boneheads to continue to make derivative crap that panders to the lowest common denominator rather than fund original quality entertainment. Which would you rather support?

That’s what I thought. That’s how I got suckered into watching it. It was mind-numbingly, jaw-droppingly horrible.

Skyline was certainly the worst movie I’ve seen this year. I thought it was even more terrible than The Last Airbender.

I walked out of Eat, Pray, Love. I have never walked out of the cinema before.

SATC2 was pretty bad, and I knew it would be, but I’m invested in the characters so I went to see it. Wish I hadn’t.

Eat, Pray, Love: Not only was the main character insufferable, but the whole thing was just horrifically dull.

I have a related question, you, your SO and/or a group of friends want to go to dinner and see a movie. So you all get together and they all decide they want to see MacGruber 2: The Re-Grubering a film you are pretty sure is horrible from the reviews and from common sense. But for whatever reason they ALL want to see it. DO you bite the bullet and go because sometimes you have to do thing you wdon’t wnat to, or do veto it and say, “There is no way on God’s Green Earth that I am going to that movie. Fuck off the lot of you. You are all worse than Hitler.”

I Spit On Your Grave (2010 remake)----if you’re a fan of forced sodomy, chemical burns, and castration, this is your film! I agonized through the entire thing.

Yes, any remotely intelligent human being is capable of going to Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and assiduously avoiding bad movies. I am one of these people and I follow two rules:

1. Avoid any film not rated as “fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes (this even works for horror films, which mainstream critics are known to avoid or dump on. I think RT includes reviews from critics who specialize in horror to balance this out.).

2. Do not EVER go see a mainstream film released before Valentine’s Day. This time period is a dumping ground for studios to release movies they know are bad but are obligated to put out. So, while I like Seth Rogan and the Green Hornet, I will not, under any circumstance, go see that movie. A January release date is the industry’s kiss of death.

Now look at my wife (but not for too long, perverts). The woman is brilliant, outwits me on an almost daily basis, holds a JD and MA from a respected university, and has excellent taste in literature - if anything, her taste in books is a bit too heavy-handed for my tastes. (For every widely-acclaimed novel I read, I also read stuff like Bill Simmons’ Book of Basketball. She alternates between novels by non-American authors and… poetry anthologies).

And yet, here I am, only days away from buying her the DVD of Eat Pray Love for Christmas. Which she already paid to see, in a theater, by herself. And loved. She devours cookie-cutter romantic comedies with a fervor I simply cannot understand. She regularly lobbies for us to attend movies that are below 40 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. She suckered me into going to see “Date Movie” and then “Mamma Mia” - and admitted they sucked afterward. But she continues to see these movies, undaunted by bad reviews.

Now, of course, she doesn’t see them with me any more. After those two cinematic disasters - we walked out on Mamma Mia with 20 minutes to go, thankfully before the cast butchered Waterloo, my favorite ABBA song - I drew a line in the sand. She, however, is all too willing to walk right over it.

Now, as a result of this, I didn’t really see an outright bad movie this year. But I’d say* Alice In Wonderland* was the most disappointing.

Fortunately, this has happened to me very, very rarely.

But when it does, I just suck it up. The friendship is more important.

No there wasn’t. That movie doesn’t actually exist.

That’s a hard one. The first few ideas that hit my mind …

1. Find a high overpass to drive everyone off while speeding as fast as possible – it’s euthanasia

2. Agree, but set fire to the theatre when no one’s looking

3. Fake a heart attack/stroke/diabetic coma

4. Borrow one of their cell phones and send an email to whitehouse.gov, saying “IMMA FUCK YOU UP My current location is <blah blah blah>”

5. Break up with your SO in the most obnoxious and hurtful way possible, they’ll be too busy comforting her to see the movie

Legion. I went into it expecting to see hot angels, action, and a paper-thin plot. I saw meh angels, crappy horror, and an asinine, hole-filled plot. It was predictable and boring and still somehow vaguely gross. There wasn’t an original idea in it, even though the story could have been interesting. Awful. Simply fucking awful.

Great user name/post combo. :smiley:

Another vote for MacGruber -

I mean really, the whole concept of the comedy is “let’s make a lame spoof of an '80’s tv show. It’ll be funny - 'cause of the lameness. Ha ha!”

So, the comedy hook is it’s lameness - yeah, that’ll make a great movie!

I have to chuckle. By the end of the month I’ll have seen well over 300 movies in the theater this year (after Jack Goes Boating tonight I’ll be at 299, and the documentary Bhutto will be 300 tomorrow night) and yet I skipped or missed so many of the movies mentioned in this thread. Of those mentioned, I didn’t see:

Eat Pray Love (I kinda wanted to see it, but it never happened)
Shrek Forever (no interest)
Sex In The City 2 (no interest)
Grown Ups (you couldn’t pay me enough)
Legion (no interest)
The Bounty Hunter (no interest)
I Spit On Your Grave (2010 remake) (no interest)
Secretariat (I kinda wanted to see it, but it never happened)
Resident Evil 3D (adore Milla, but, well, no)
The Nightmare on Elm Street remake (no interest)
Marmaduke (no interest)
Furry Vengeance (no interest)

and a lot more that haven’t been mentioned. Yet.

I missed tons of very good movies too, so it’s not just the bad ones, but like others, I tend not to see movies I don’t think I’ll like, so the majority of what I see is good stuff to me. Except Skyline. And MacGruber. Ugh. I do think that if The Last Airbender had been made by some obscure Chinese or Hong Kong Wuxia director that only cult insiders know about, it would have been hailed as totally brilliant. With the exception of Ang Lee, you put a Wuxia director in front of mainstream audiences and they’ll scratch their heads, while the aficionados will adore their output. The Bride With White Hair is considered a Wuxia classic. All time fucking classic. If Shyamalan had directed it, it would be torn 3 kinds of assholes. I have no real comment on that, it’s just amusing to me.

I watched “The Last Airbender” on a flight to San Francisco and was praying for the plane to crash. I cannot believe that sane adults allowed that film to be released. It was staggeringly awful, the worst film I’ve seen in years.

The worst movie from 2010 that I actually watched was probably Get Him to the Greek. I’m sure there are even worse movies out there that I simply avoided.
Clash of the Titans is probably a close second.

Yeah, I came in to nominate Alice also. It was crap, even Depp sucked in a role that would have seemed to have been tailer made for him.

I will have to cast my vote for ** The Last Exorcism **. It has been a while since I saw a movie so bad it actually made me angry.

I watched it in the theater, and as soon as the ending credits began, somewhere from the dark depths of the audience, someone yelled "Are you fucking kidding me?” This sums up the entire movie to me.