Your Nomination(s) For Worst Film Of 2010

Thankfully I stayed away from really bad movies this year, somehow, but the worst movie I saw all year was The Bounty Hunter. MacGruber was way up there too, but I recall laughing, although it may have been to keep from crying.

I’m pretty selective of what I’ll go see in the theater, so I don’t see very many truly bad movies – I do my homework first. So the worst movie I saw all year was probably Date Night, which was a fairly pedestian comedy and suffered a little from Steven Carrell’s hammyness but it wasn’t a truly bad movie.

I’m going to have to go with Inception. It was 2+ hours of pure torture. Leo couldn’t carry the movie as the lead, and was completely over shadowed by Watanabe and even Gordon-Levitt. Ellen Page’s character was annoying, and the techno mumbo jumbo was laughable to the point of being off-putting.

I’m pretty notoriously picky about films and don’t go to the theatre very often, so I think the only 2010 films I’ve seen are:

Iron Man 2, Inception, Paranormal Activity 2, Scott Pilgrim, The Crazies, Survival of the Dead, The Last Exorcism, Shutter island, Hot Tub Time Machine

I guess I’m not in a position to name the worst film. Of the ones I saw only Inception, Shutter Island, and possibly Iron Man 2 were actually good movies (dissenters in this thread notwithstanding – I didn’t much care for Inception or Iron Man myself), but they were all pretty okay. Well, with the exception of Survival of the Dead, so I suppose that’s my choice.

But looking through the films that were released this year … whew, there were some doozies, weren’t there? Resident Evil 3D, the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, The Last Airbender, Skyline, Legion, the Book of Eli, Marmaduke, Furry Vengeance … Surely these weren’t better than Shutter Island or Inception in any remotely objective sense?

Honestly, there was a hardly a movie this year which didn’t suck… but my vote goes towards The Last Airbender, for horribly screwing up a great series in addition to its personal crappiness.

:rolleyes:

Seriously?

The **Twilight **movie was pretty horrible.

I thought there were some laughs in MacGruber.

Although I didn’t see it, I think MacGruber probably deserves some credit for being faaar better than it had any right to be (at least going by reviews). A film inspired by an old SNL MacGyver parody? Has there been a halfway decent SNL skit-inspired film besides Wayne’s World?

Blues Brothers

I can’t even wrap my mind around people mentioning movies by Martin Scorsese and Christopher Nolan in a year that featured Airbender and Eclipse. Either some people have exceptionally high standards, or they pointedly ignore the actual shitty movies and so have lost the ability to tell the difference between the two. Shutter Island and Inception were brilliant on just about every level a film can be, while Airbender and Eclipse not only failed to be entertaining, they were actively and willfully insulting. It was as though the directors basically said “Yeah, fuck you assholes for watching my movie. I hope you suffer, and I hope you suffer for a long long time, you fucking cunts. Fuck your mother, too.”

Well, I saw MacGruber and I would very happily sit through it again before I’d subject myself to the thoroughly dreadful Secretariat or The Tempest one more time.

I’m with you on this. With all the resources available to movie-goers, I don’t see how anyone could deliberately end up sitting in a theater watching stuff like “MacGruber”, “Sex and the City 2”, “Skyline”, “Grown Ups”, ect.

Why would anyone pay to see something based on faith in a particular actor or hope based on a trailer or enjoyment of the prequel or an amorphous ‘seemed like it might be good’, when there is so much information available to steer us to the gold and away from the garbage?

If you suffered through “The Last Airbender”, it’s your own fault as there was absolutely nothing that promised you anything else but misery.

Like I always say, life is too short to watch bad movies when there are so many good movies I have never seen.

Some people (not me!) very much enjoy going to the theatre, and do so frequently. I imagine that even if you’re a skillful film-chooser you’ll run out of good ones at some point (particularly if you don’t live in a bustling area). And some people just don’t trust critics, to the point of being contrary about it.

Well, in my defense, I usually only watch movies on PPV, and then only things that look interesting. I won’t waste my time on films I don’t think I’ll like from the start. So, maybe 2 new(ish) movies a month. I haven’t seen Airbender, MacGruber, or Eclipse.

But I also don’t like particular films simply because of the director, producer, or actor. I judge each piece of work on it’s own, and don’t let who did it or who’s in it sway my opinion. I can hate a Chris Nolan film and an M. Night film with equal passion.

If you are seeing bad movies, it’s your own fault. All you have to do is go to IMDb, then click on “movies,” wander over to their showtimes and tickets section, and see what movies are showing in your area. Then take a look at what both critics and moviegoers think of those movies. It shouldn’t be hard to find worthwhile movies to see. My rule of thumb is to try to see movies that are getting a 7.0 or better from viewers, and avoid those with ratings of 6.0 or less. Works out pretty well. That would have saved you from most or all of the bad movies listed in this thread.

I have to change my vote. I haven’t seen it, but from what I’ve read Konchalovsky’s The Nutcracker in 3D REALLY takes the cake as a supremely bad film. It has gotten a rating of ZERO on the Rotten Tomatoes site. I’ve started a thread on it:

Rotten Tomatoes:

The remake of Clash of the Titans got 28% there.
Even The Last Airbender got a 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Heck, Battlefield Earth got 2%!

One of those movies that was so wonderful, I’m glad everybody in the film industry has resisted every temptation to make a sequel.

Well… of course, but sometimes I’m in the mood for something silly (especially in the summer). I actually considered going to see Airbender as well as – what was it? – Prince of Persia or whatever it was called. Gorgeous CGI, good-looking or interesting leads, a plot that’s not too complicated – sometimes that’s enough for me. The problem (for me) is when the movie turns out to have been so clearly made for and marketed to an audience far younger than I am, as if I’m crashing their party. Okay, so they’re trying to evoke Gladiator or The Mummy or whatever; it’s a mostly ridiculous, non-stop thrill ride, which is okay, but don’t assume that I’m out-and-out stupid, okay?

Umm…I don’t quite know how to put this to you…but there was a crappy sequel in the late 90s with John Goodman.

Yes, most adults capable of going through the complicated interaction that is buying a movie ticket are also capable of avoiding obviously bad movies. But sometimes, as difficult as this may be to believe, people watch bad movies with the full knowledge that they’re wretched. Sometimes, people watch movies with the hope there will be something redeeming about them. And sometimes, it’s best not to trust other people’s opinions (for example, if I trusted people in this thread, I would miss out on some two extremely awesome movies that I find more enjoyable with each subsequent viewing).

The bad movies I saw this year, I sought out. I enjoy ragging on shitty films, I enjoy watching shitty films, and I enjoy mocking people who enjoy shitty films, thus, I watch a lot of bad movies every year. And based on what I saw, nothing is worse than The Last Airbender–except Eclipse, which didn’t even pretend to be about anything.