Your opinions wanted on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Let me start right off by telling you that I am on my annual crusade against Rudolph. I don’t like the whole story. I don’t even like the little freak, but if he were legit, I’d give him his props.

I know Santa has eight hard-working reindeer on his sleigh team (and Rudy ain’t number 9). I become incredulous when Rudolph is giving any credit, recognition or praise. I usually say something along the lines of this: “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer is the biggest fraud perpetrated on the American public since One Hour Martinizing!” (A shout out to Cosmo Kramer for giving me the second part of that line).

I don’t appreciate how Rudolph was shoved down our throats. I think he is part of “the problem”: Plastic trees, tacky plastic decorations, ugly colored lights, fake this, ugly blowup lawn things. Ugh. Enough already.

Also, the Rudolph TV special from Rankin/Bass does nothing but caste the other reindeer as prejudice and makes Santa look like an absolute a-hole! He tells Rudolph’s dad (Comet maybe?) to get the freak out of here. The song puts down the other reindeer, because they shunned Rudy from their games.

I say, “ENOUGH!”. Rudolph, you are a fictitious character and your whole, phony-baloney story has hurt the reputation of the real sleigh team. Your song and TV special make the other reindeer and Santa look very bad.

I want Rudolph out of Christmas!

(Bolding mine)

It was Dawner.

I watched the Rankin/Bass special last night for the first time since I was a little kid. I have to admit I was a little taken aback when Santa came down on poor Rudolph. Blatant bigotry.

Times have certainly changed.

I think you are saying it was Donner, who is portrayed as the father of Rudolph.

Have you ever read the original story? (It was turned into a cartoon in the forties by the Fleischer gang, who were Famous Studios by then) – Rudolph is not one of Santa’s reindeer. He’s just a random reindeer who lives in a suburban human-type home by Santa who comes on that foggy Christmas. Santa, seeing his glowing red nose, asks him to be on the team. And, fortunately, Rudolph can fly. It’s like being that guy who got recruited into the rock band because the drummer couldn’t work.
It’s very weird – no explanation is given for why reindeer live in people homes and sleep in people beds, or how they can fly. At least the Rankin Bass production makes Rudolph one of a special herd of Santa-supported flying reindeer, even if it adds all those weirdnesses the posters above complain about.

Me, I’ve always wondered about Hermey practicing dentistry without a license, and having the poor ethics to yank all the Abominable’s teeth. He’s probably an endangered species! Keeping him cooped up to decorate Christmas trees really doesn’t make up for it. He ought to be in a natural environment, with enough space to roam and with challenging objects placed in his enclosure for mental stimulation.

The way the original story came about, by the way, is poignant, assuming it hasn’t been altered by the Rudolph Company. I’d like to think that it’s true, and the Good Guys won it, for once:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L.May(Rudolph) <---- This link doesn’t want to work for some reason. Click on the “Robert L. May” link on the top line of the previous article to get to it.

You closed the parenthesis outside the code. :slight_smile:

History is written by the winners.

Dawner?

No reindeer games for you!

Rudolph and the Little Drummer Boy can both be left on a frigid mountain top to perish, as far as I’m concerned.

And I think you mean “cast the other reindeer” rather than “caste”.

:stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite is when Rudolph’s mother wants to go help look for him and is told, “No, this is man’s work.” And then later, when Yukon Cornelius goes over the cliff, the narrator tells us that although they are sad over the death of their friend, they know that it is best to get the women back to Christmas Town. Hilarious! And yes, I watch it almost every year.

Hey! Thanks for ruining my lesbian reindeer fetish! Way to kill a kid’s dream!

Whatever about Rudolph. But oh, that Clarice!

I didn’t do anything to the code besides copy it. I tried this twice, and it failed both times.

Awww. I agree that the atitudes of the “adults” in the TV show are appalling. But that’s how it’s meant to be. It’s the whole “misfit toys” theme. The point of Rudolph is that he doesn’t fit in, but he has unique gifts, and all-important compasion. Also that he can help those in a worse position than he is.

It’s for the kids picked last for volleyball.

that’s compassion . . . [blush]

Your face is blinkin’ like a blinkin’ beacon.

If it wasn’t for the program, I would never have learned two important facts about Abominable Snowmen: they sink and they bounce.

Rudolph represents hope in a world constrained by the rigidity of conformity and stony traditionalism. To say that if you’re not one of the “eight hardworking reindeer” you can’t have a place ot the table is the worst kind of extremism. Rudolph adds value to the team. And as world population increases (along with the number of good children), the sleigh team is bound to need to add members unless you want those hardworking eight reindeer to die of exhaution. Rudolph’s utility is also unquestionable considering the storm of the century.

Remember this: Traditionalism without lifeblood is cardboard folklore.

Sure Santa has a right to worry about the image of his team, but the reindeer in that TV special could almost be clones of each other without Rudolph. And that ugly sameness is exactly the kind of triteness that breeds plastic Christmas trees and inflatable snowmen on the lawn. Rudolph’s uniqueness in the natural Christmas setting is the uniqueness of the real Christmas tree—mine maybe not as tall as yours, but more bushy perhaps… Isn’t that sort of the joy of putting the same decorations on different trees every year. Because the difference actually embraces the traditional and expands it just as our ages have increased by yet another year?

Rudolph could well be the second best Christmas story of all.

Here’s a working link for Robert L. May.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L.May%28Rudolph%29

For some reason, the parentheses don’t work, and if you right clicked the link and chose “copy link location,” that’s what it puts. But I copied directly from the address bar, and for some reason probably having to do with HTML code, my browser substitued %28 and %29 for the () and it works with those.

[nitpick]

It’s Donder.

[/nitpick]