I made the mistake of calculating the family’s telco/entertainment budget:

Comcast (ISP) $80
Dish Network $90
AT&T (2 iphones) $130
iPad 3g data $15
Vonage $25
Netflix $14

Holy Cow, $354 a month! $4200 a YEAR!

Not including the purchase of the iPhones, which you end up doing each year or so. And We’ve got two kids too young for cellphones yet, at which point, I’m sure it’ll take another jump.

I remember when my TOTAL internet access fees were $20 a month…now, it’s $25 per phone, $15 for the iPad, and $80 for comcast…$145 a month (shudder)

Yeah, we can roll back Comcast a little, and the iPad fees are currently in a testing phase to see if the wife wants to continue it after the honeymoon wears off. Sure would like to tether it to an iPhone, but the jailbreaking process is a little more than I’d like to submit her to. It’s funny, that a wifi mobile hotspot is JUST about what two iPad dataplans would run (I’d like one, but I can’t rationalize two 3g tablets and two data plans on the iPhones.)
So…how much does your family pay a month?

5 cellphones: $200
Cable TV, Internet, & 2 voice lines: $180
Netflix $10
Blockbuster $20

$410, that’s for five people. That works out to $82 a head - not too bad for all the services we get.
ETA: Half of that internet service and one phone line are business expenses from my home office.

Well, I now know why the vast majority of the kids that get off the train at the University have el cheapo burner-phones…I don’t believe my pre-teen kids will be toting Applephones, THAT’S fer sure.

Five cell phone family plan $200 (including unlimited texting and data plan for three lines)
Comcast voice & data $50
Netflix $9

PagePlus prepaid cellular ~$8
RCN Mach 10 broadband $20
RCN basic cable (part of condo assessment) ~$14

I do sort of yearn for a smartphone, though. Someday.

No cell phone.
No cable.
No TV.
Had to cancel Netflix a year ago.

Landline + Basic DSL (AT&T) = Less than $40 a month.
May have to cancel the DSL soon, rent is going up.

Internet $39.95
Foxtel $47
Landline $29.95
My mobile $59 (including 24 month cost of iphone)
Boy From Mars’s phone is work provided
$175.90 a month - $2,110.80 a year.

We recently negotiated the Foxtel down from $82 a month, and next on the list is the phone/internet package since we’re out of contract now. We don’t use the landline, so likely we’ll drop that.

Vonage: $9.99 a month.
Comcast: $182 a month for cable TV and broadband…
AT&T Wireless: $39.99 for cellphone line plus $15 for iPhone data.

About $247 a month or $2963 per year.

Prepaid cell phone: <$20 (prorated)
AT&T DSL: $10 (shared between 3 people).
Landline phone: unknown, but it’s about 2.5 cents/minute, so I think it comes out to around $20 or so for 3 people.

Not too bad, but I don’t want it to get much higher. To preempt the inevitable questions: yes, it really is $10 for internet, and it’s the result of some obscure legislation passed a couple years ago mandating ISPs provide basic internet access for an affordable price.

Landline is $30 per month, but I can claim that back as a tax-deduction because I telecommute from home.

Internet is $60, but I can claim that as well.

Pre-paid mobile is also $30 per month, non-claimable, but does me well for all personal phone calls.

We don’t have cable-TV because we don’t have time to watch it. Free-To-Air and the occasional rental from the Video Hire joint does us fine here in Aus.

IOW, I pay 120 per month for telecommunications.....and of that, I can claim 90 per month as a tax deduction.

Landline is $30 per month, but I can claim that back as a tax-deduction because I telecommute from home.

Internet is $60, but I can claim that as well.

Pre-paid mobile is also $30 per month, non-claimable, but does me well for all personal phone calls.

We don’t have cable-TV because we don’t have time to watch it. Free-To-Air and the occasional rental from the Video Hire joint does us fine here in Aus.

IOW, I pay 120 per month for telecommunications.....and of that, I can claim 90 per month as a tax deduction.

All good here.

In fact, doubly-good as a double-post :smiley:

Qwest home phone line and DSL: $80/mo
AT&T wireless (3 phones, unlimited texting, one with data plan): $115/mo
Dish Network: $95/mo

I think the Dish will be going soon. I can get DirectTV through Qwest cheaper.

Sprint unlimited data/text with 400 min=$55
Netflix=$9
Rhapsody$9
(Free cable internet with my lease and I use a digital antenna for network shows).

$73 a month.

Comcast cable, internet and voice - $165 a month
AT&T wireless - $130 a month (two lines, one an iPhone)
Nexflix - $7 a month (stream only)

So $302 a month, or $3624 a year. Seems a bit high really, but I’m not giving up my internet or my iPhone for anything. If Netflix could just offer a little bit more on the instant streaming I’d be almost willing to shitcan the cable completely. We’ve been looking at Apple TV or Boxy to try and make the most of internet television, but after all is said and done it’s just not there quite yet, but as soon as I feel it is then no more cable for us, ever.

Sprint unlimited data/text (for EVO) with I forget how much talk time = $76.90

My wife pays for all that because she knows I would start cutting things if I knew what they cost.

I do know the Cable/ISP/phone bill is over $200.

A couple of years ago we switched phone service for family (family Christmas present) and I managed to negotiate it down to about $150. Over the years I know that services have been added for the boys so that probably runs over $200 now too.

Cell phone: Virgin Mobile. Average of $15 a month.
Internet service: Barebones AT+T DSL. $20.

Total: $35. No landline, no cable or netflix.

Between land line, two cell phones, cable and internet, I’m going to guess about $250 a month.

I’ve been giving serious thought to getting the land line phone service through the cable company bundled with the cable and internet, which should save us about $35 a month. But then I’m also about this close to getting me a smart phone, so what I save on the land line will probably go towards the extra I have to pay for a data package for the smart phone.

I find these numbers insane :eek:

In our house (3 people) the combined landline + calls + broadband internet is £35.
2 prepay mobiles average about £15 each
I have a phone and a 3g dongle from work as well.

Still, £65 or $103 USD.

I guess it’s the cable/sky TV packages and the mobile data plans making a big part of the difference.

Wonder if this stuff is much more expensive in general in the US though. If so I find it surprising, I thought it was supposed to be cheaper.