"Your topic is similar to..." Any way to burn, kill, send it to hell?

I can think of several candidates if we’re going to start a list. :slight_smile:

Well, you’re losing your mind to something that doesn’t have a mind. It’s not a person. It’s a function, like the lights on the dashboard your car.

You remember what the Car Talk guys used to say to callers who were losing their minds because the “check engine” light was bugging them? Put a piece of masking tape over it.

Good luck.

ThelmaLou has left the building.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

Haven’t there been other threads about this topic?

I wasn’t able to find one about it, per se, no.

It’s just part of a larger pattern of modern design features which are ostensibly meant to “help” you, but instead just distract and annoy and are ultimately pointless if not counterproductive. I grasp the Buddhist angle there, thank you, but I am just not sure how much more assistance I need from all my various devices, esp. when I cannot shut them off. Plus in this case it’s more than just aesthetic annoyance, given how it covers up the preview on the right-I go to see the preview, perhaps to check how a link looks, only to see this stupid popup obscuring it.

ISWYDT. Yes this is a complete sentence, thanks for asking Discourse BOT

Then hit the bloody escape key. Only takes a small fraction of a second.

I don’t start nearly as many threads as I post to, but I don’t recall the annoying pop-up recurring. Once the title is entered, the annoying pop-up quickly appears, I dismiss it after laughing at stupid DiscoBot’s inability to think, then go back to writing my OP undisturbed.

Though I may have this wrong & the pop-up is recurring.

I did post this OP ~3 weeks ago which includes a comment about the stupid “Your topic is similar to …” popup I briefly had to contend with. :slight_smile:

Which pop-up I’m sure did not recur that time.

“It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.”

“The journey to a thousand executions begins with a single hanging. Where’s my rope? Somebody get me a rope!”

Wait, what? That does seem like a bug, and not one I’ve ever seen. The feature is indeed useless, but hitting escape prevents it from recurring. I’ve never seen it show up more than once per post. Seems that LSLGuy has the same experience.

I create monthly threads for the SDMB photography competition. They all have very similar titles and near-identical text. This triggers the “similar threads” thing every time, but as noted above, it can be dismissed with a flick of my pinky on the ESC key.