Your username?

my username is the name of a (slightly) psychotic but basically good-hearted drone (a type of sentient artificial being built/born into a high-tech utopian society known as “the culture”) in a book called “Use of Weapons” by Iain M. Banks.

great book. if you can find a copy, read it. or anything else by Iain Banks. its all good.

Mine is from the band…and becasue it’s been my nickname forever :slight_smile:

AWESOME! I love Kittie! Good call!

My screen name derives from my love of swing dancing, and in particular the Lindy Hop, the first and greatest of all swing dances.

Anybody for a Flying Charleston?

Very nice. I dont suppose you’ve picked up Blackwater Park yet ? I saw them play in San Jose a few months ago and they were right on target.

LOCKFIST is the name of a song by the band Killing Culture who only managed to release one self-titled album. It was produced by Scott Ian of Anthrax and since most of the other “heavy metal” names had been taken at yahoo I had to stretch a little bit. The name is actually slang for “fighting” but a lot of people tend to make some perverted sexual association with the name. Oh well.

NP - At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

I’ve had mine for a long time. Out of my loser friends, only two other dudes and I love metal(Sentenced is sweet), so at one point all my dork friends were joking around and thought up stupid names for all of us. They called the biggest of us the ‘Lord of the Pit’, and the other guy the ‘King of evil’. One of the people pointed to me and said, “What is ____ Then?” “Oh, he’s just a Dark Prince” 'cause I’m shorter than them both. So whenever I played games on the internet I’ve usually used DarkPrince. I dunno, I’ve grown to like the name.

First initial, middle initial, first four letters of last name. It was the first username I ever had on a system many, many years ago, and I’ve used it ever since. If I desire a bit more anonymity, I might log on in some places as Bob Chica, which is an acronym for “Bend over, baby, 'cause here it comes again!”, a modification of an old Army acronym (BOHICA, like SNAFU or FUBAR, but worse) to make it look more like a real name.

Acco40 is the name of the stapler that sits on my desk at work.
It is an excellent stapler by the way: very heavy and dense with incredible binding power and speedy refilling capabilities.
If only it could talk… I think it could have won us Vietnam.

Turns out my hole-punch is called Acco too now that I notice it, but not Acco40.

This thread kicks ass, BTW!

As think is a friend of mine, I can answer this:

It’s “think snow”. He’s a ski-freak.

Okay, get ready to be sick:
My husband calls me Bunny, so when I signed up, it just seemed appropriate. I use it all over, so if you see BunnyGirl or BunnyGirl67, it’s likely to be me.

Another boring book reference, I’m afraid.

In The Tombs of Atuan, by Ursula K. LeGuin, a little girl is taken from her mother to become a high priestess in much the same way that the Lamas are chosen as infants or children. In the process of becoming a priestess, she is symbolically “eaten,” or rendered soulless by unseen subterranean spirits, and is then known as Arha the Eaten One. Though still barely more than a child, she is (or professes to be) heartless, and participates in human sacrifices.

In order to reclaim herself, she must regain her secret truename, which she has forgotten. She is Tenar.

Arha is what I feel like when in the depths of depression. Tenar is what I wish to be.

I have appeared in several places online as one or the other, although I believe there are others who use the same names.

Some friends got together one new year’s eve to do some base jumps off a building. The was a boat canal next to the beach. Everybody else made the beach, but after turning to avoid a small shack I landed in the water. Only about fifteen feet from the shore, but the water was over my head. Someone made a comment about about “Captain Nemo” and dubbed in some submarine sounds on the video he made.

Tabitha was my fictitious name when, quite a few years back, I was working in a strip joint while going to college. After I quit the job it became my alter bar ego.
If one of my girlfriends hear me tell a guy that, they know to politely get me away from him.
It became Tabeitha when more and more Tabitha’s started showing up on the sites I visit.
I looked Tabitha up in the dictionary and it gave me the alternate spelling of Tabeitha. There you go.

'Cause I’m known by friends and family as a Vegas fiend. In fact, I just got back from there a few days ago, and I did NOT lose all my wages! I’m only “down” $44.00. :slight_smile:

my initials, twice and the year I was born. Not so ingenius but easy to remember, plus I use it for almost all of my id’s on the web. I kept forgetting them elsewhere. Most sites require 6 characters, some require 8, some require 2 numbers also-mine has never let me down.

But after about 5 posts I regretted it, I wish I had a cool one like the rest of you, or most of the rest of you.

Started out here as Rocket88, but it didn’t really mean anything to me, and there were already a bunch of “Rockets” and “88”'s of various stripes on the board, so I changed it.

El Kabong, of course, is the masked, crime-fighting alter ego of Quick-draw McGraw in the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. I feel taller and more handsome with my new handle. Bit sad, really…

At a former job, I used to work with a man named Pancho. Turns out his real name was something such as (I don’t like giving real names) Bob. I found it rather random that a guy named Bob would use Pancho as a nickname, so I promptly went and started calling everyone at work Pancho (in that area, they were all men). I couldn’t well call myself Pancho, so I started using the name Panchita.

However, it became increasingly difficult to get the name Panchita. At that time, I had just watched the movie “Pleasantville” and had absolutely fallen in love with it. I taked the “ville” onto the end of my name, and now it is Panchitaville.

Celestina: I just read “La celestina” perhaps a year or two ago. Actually, I hadn’t gotten around to mentioning how much I loved your name :slight_smile:

Quote: <<<Xenopsylla cheopis. Otherwise known as the Oriental rat flea. X. cheopis carries the bacillus Yersinia pestis, which causes bubonic plauge, and the microbe Rickettsia tyhpi, which causes typhus.>>>

Cheery! :wink:

My name comes from an area in St. Paul where some of the earliest Swedes lived when they first arrived in Minnesota starting in the mid to late 1800’s. They would walk up the tracks from the Union Depot to a quiet area just outside of downtown along Phalen Creek that had few entrance points to it. They named it Svenska Dalen (Swedish Dale aka “Swede Hollow”) and stayed in shacks there until they could afford real houses in town. The Italians were the next wave to use the hollow, followed by the Mexicans. There never were real houses, no plumbing, and the land was always public land so on December 11, 1956 the government kicked everyone out and burned out all the shacks. All the groups that lived in the Hollow remember it fondly. Considering it is just outside of downtown and borders two highways and a major through-street it is still a quiet place to spent time and has a nice bike path leading to it.

panchitaville said:
“Celestina: I just read “La celestina” perhaps a year or two ago. Actually, I hadn’t gotten around to mentioning how much I loved your name”

Thanks, panchitaville. :slight_smile:

I was named after a characte in Grease: Pinky.

Real-life nickname, for the last 4-5 yrs.

I agonized over my screen name because I am a geek. I picked an archetype because it was easy and extreme. I’m not very nice. I am a pagan. I read tarot cards. I love The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It all just added up. My alternative was ice maiden because that is one of my nicknames IRL. I’m glad I didn’t–IceQueen is better.