"You're a true <insert your home city here> if you..."

A true Buffalonian sees a foot of snow and goes Eh, and leaves for work two minutes earlier.

We know that “wide right” and “no goal” are touchstones to national ridicule but don’t care.

We know that you can get from anywhere to anywhere in 20 minutes. A long commute or a traffic jam is a slowdown around the “big blue water tower.”

Great pizza is from the corner place and never costs more than $12.00.

Buffalo’s don’t have wings. They are called Wings. Period.

Someone from Barcelona is convinced that cardinal directions are “sea, mountain, right and left”.

Someone from Barcelona has never visited the Cathedral, the Spanish Village or any other monuments, with two notable exceptions: school trips and people who are originally from Barcelona but have lived outside of town at some point in their lives.

Someone from Pamplona-the-whole-life and over the age of 30 doesn’t stay in town during Sanfermines. One or two day, yes, but mostly the town is left empty for the barbarian hordes.

Someone from Pamplona-the-whole-life is absolutely convinced that Hemingway didn’t get it.
But will happily take the foreigner’s money.

Someone from Pamplona-the-whole-life knows it wasn’t the Moors but his own Basque foreparents who beat the crap out of Roldan in Roncesvalles.
But he’s descended from 13 centuries’ worth of people who’ve been taking money from the French by selling them Roland souvenirs and singing songs about Roland’s bravery (called “stupidity” in either Spanish or Basque).

Someone from Pamplona-the-whole-life has a lot of foreparents who spent the last two centuries raising in arms against the central government, but will act dumb when an outsider asks about the Carlista wars (at least until the questioner has been established as a “friendly”).

Like most Austin residents, I’m a transplanted Yankee. I’m pretty sure my wife is the only adult who was actually born here!

That said…

1. True Austinites will always say “19th Street” and “First Street,” even though the politically correct city council renamed them “MLK” and “Cesar Chavez” ages ago.

2. True Austinites never walk anywhere, and don’t grasp that there’s anything unusual about a neighnorhood with practically no sidewalks (My local dry cleaner is about as close to my house as my local dry cleaner in Astoria, Queens was; I ALWAYS walked there in Queens, and would never even THINK of walking to my local one now).

3. True Austinites believe that the city has never been the same, and has gone straight to Hell, since the Armadillo World Headquarters closed down (this is one reason I’ll never be a “true” Austinite- I think the city’s highly touted music scene is ridiculously overrated, and couldn’t care less about the freaking Armadillo).

True Montrealers: know that the sun sets in the north.

True Montrealers: find their neck twitches forward for a two-cheek kiss upon saying goodbye even when they’re out of town.

True Montrealers: regardless of which language/s they speak, can curse fluently in English and Quebecois French.

True Montrealers: got over the Underground City no later than mid-1971 and are baffled as to why guidebooks keep hawking it to tourists (it’s just shopping malls, people!)

I’m from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia originally. I’m NOT a Vancouverite by any stretch of the imagination. I am a Caper.

A true Cape Bretoner isn’t on welfare. They are on the pogey.

A true Cape Bretoner will call you “buddy” before (s)he knows your name. It’s also a substitute for “that guy” - “Buddy over there said he was lookin’ for ya.”

A true Cape Bretoner will never use the word “sale”. It’s not “on sale” - it’s just “on”. “Beans are on at the Lofoods today!” - "I got a buncha cans of beans today! “Were they on?”

A true Cape Bretoner pronounces the word “on” as “aaahn”. Similarly, Ozzy Osbourne is Aaahzy Aaahzbourne.

A true Cape Bretoner adds “the” and/or pluralises words unnecessarily. “I’m going to the Lofoods to get some beans because they’re on.” (Actual store name: Lofood.) “I gaaatta go out the Wal-Mart and pick up a pair of pants.” “Can’t go out fer weengs tanoyte (wings tonight), got the diarrhea!”

A true Cape Bretoner will ask you, “What’s yer fadder’s name?” within 5 minutes of meeting you, if they estimate that they are old enough to know yer fadder. 9 times out of 10, they do.

A true Cape Bretoner never, ever uses a signal light. Ah, okay, some of us do… but we are driven crazy by those who don’t, and they seem to be in the majority!

A true Cape Breh’iner (glottal stop in the middle of the word) knows dat it’s hard ta type arr accent, b’y!

Oh, and of course - A true Cape Bretoner will make fun of Cape Breton relentlessly, but we will hate you if you aren’t from Cape Breton and you make fun of it. It’s like our parents - we can all make fun of our parents, but as soon as someone else does, it’s ON, buddy!

We also want you to know that as much as we love Newfies, we are not Newfies ourselves. Capers are from Cape Breton! Newfies are from Newfoundland.

Well, that makes two of us.

A true Austinite knows that all the signage for “Loop 360” uses the name “Capital of Texas Highway” but would never let a yankee in on the joke. Nor would an Austinite let them know that “Loop 360” is not an actual loop.

A true Austinite knows that 290 -> Koeing -> Allandale -> Northland -> 2222 is all the same 2 mile strech of roadway.

A true Austinite remembers a attending several of the now-defunct annual events called “AquaFest” but cannot ever recall any concrete details from the foggy alcohol-induced haze of memories.

A true Austinite knows how to pronounce Koeing, Manchaca, Burnet, Buda, and Bexar, and Guadalupe.

A true Austinite has never made a special trip down to see the silly bats.

A true Austinite knows where City Park is no matter what they call it now.

A true Austinite laughs upon hearing some stupid yankee utter the term “SoCo”.

A true Austinite has in the past gotten food poisoning from the original Jorge’s and would do it again in a heartbeat.

A true Austinite is sad, bitter, pissed-off and truely disappointed at the horrendous influx of ignorant yankee assholes that have invaded our once fair hamlet and utterly destroyed everything that once made it great. Bastards!

• Will sit at a green light for several seconds to allow time for the assholes to finish running the red light on the cross street.

• Will spit on the ground when Lee Brown’s name is mentioned

A true Mancunian laughs in the face of adversity
A true Mancunian supports Manchester City FC
A true Mancunian knows that it isn’t always raining in Manchester
A true Mancunian knows that our fair city is the true capital of England

Funny anecdote about this (keep in mind I’ve only been in Houston a year): one of the first times I drove in Houston, I tried to slip through a yellow light, turning left. It turned red a few milliseconds before I entered the intersection. I instantly flinched and looked around for any cops, with a sick feeling in my stomach. When I got around to checking my rear view, I saw that three more cars had slipped through behind me. :smack:

I hope you have already learned that, this being Texas and all, if you don’t turn right on red at the first possible opportunity, folks behind you might start shooting.

Sorry, I misread you post. You said left. But, yeah, if you are trying to turn left, please pull as far forward into the intersection as you can so that as many cars a possible can also get into the intersection. That way the three cars stuck behind the line can still make it through as well.

Oh, I normally do. In this case, I was approaching the intersection as the light turned yellow. :slight_smile:

I can’t stop myself from the two-cheek kiss. My boyfriend’s parents aren’t used to it yet, and it’s fun to watch them remember “oh yeah, she kisses hello twice!”

Allow me to add:

True Montrealers: never wait for a crossing signal. Ever. Jaywalking is our cultural identity.

True Montrealers: send all American college kids to Peel Pub when asked “where’s a good place to drink”, to keep them out of the decent bars.

True Montrealers: have their coffee outside on a terrace in the summer, but it’s a “tur-ass”, not a “terr-iss”.

A true Seattleite never carries an umbrella.

A true Seattlite is polite in traffic.

A true Seattleite knows what it means when someone says the mountain is out.

Heh. I was there for a month one time. The mountain was out when I was on my way back to the airport.

A true Austinite attended either Reagan, Austin, McCallum, Lanier, Travis, Crockett, or Johnston High school. No exceptions.

And that there is a certain style of thin-crust pizza…always cut in squares, not wedges, that is just as much “Chicago-style” as the sauce-on-the-top pan pizza.

A true Oregonian knows when it’s okay to turn left on red.

A true Oregonian knows it’s Wil-LA-mette, not WIL-la-METTE.

A true Oregonian does not snicker while shouting “Go Beavers!”

Okay, I’m ready to talk a little more civilly about my fellow Calgarians.

A true Calgarian is either a northerner or a southerner - people are extremely reluctant to cross the imaginary border here. It’s like a trip to a different city for someone living in the north to make a shopping trip to a south mall, and vicey versy.

A true Calgarian knows about and sympathizes with Chinook headaches (or has them).

A true Calgarian knows that you must indicate which quadrant on every address, or you’re screwed.

A true Calgarian knows why people with children shouldn’t buy houses in Lynnwood.

A true Calgarian is probably from Saskatchewan. :smiley:

Man, you’re missing out on some damn fine eating!

A true Chicagoan doesn’t wanna know some fancy made-up name for your neighborhood. Just tell us how many hundred N, S, E, W.

And a true Chicagoan always knows what direction is what, as they always know where they are in reference to the Lake, and the Lake is always East. (Unless your one of them weird SE siders…)

That’s about all I got. Realized most of my other offerings simply revealed my age, and would better apply to “A Chicagoan over the age of 30…”

Apropos for today, you’re a true Bozemanite if you design your kid’s Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

A true Bozemanite also has a black lab named Bridger that rides in the back of your pickup truck.