The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 11:41 PM

Salt peter question

Hi,

I know this may sound like a weird question, but I was hoping that someone may have information about salt peter.
I have a step son who is 14 and likes this girl who is 13, they are not allowed to date, but she is moving a couple blocks away at the end of the week, and I just know they are going to end up having sex one way or another.

We are constantly having to monitor him and where he goes and check to make sure that he is there. This girl, from what I understand is already been sexually active and thought she was pregnant before by another boy.

I just don't know what to do, other than lock him in his room, to keep them from sneaking and being together.

Anyway, I was hoping someone would know if salt peter is safe and if so where it can be purchased from.

At this point I have no other ideas of what to do since I can't control the girl that he likes and him both.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements  
Old 07-17-2002, 11:50 PM

I can't answer your question but I find this to be a horrible thing to do to an innocent kid. I certainly hope this is illegal.

How could you even consider doing something like that?

Educate you son and give him condoms.

ugh
Old 07-17-2002, 11:51 PM

Re: Salt peter question

Quote:
Originally posted by Beckyvs
At this point I have no other ideas of what to do since I can't control the girl that he likes and him both.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the board

<supress urge to run for the pit......>

EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to chemically impair your CHILDS SEXUAL FUNCTION!!! OMFG! If you were my mom I would consider thanking you with a baseball bat.

Educate him, hell put a condom on him before he leaves for school, ground him till hes 30, but sheesh what the hell are you thinking.

Fact if he really wants to its going to happen, educating him in safe sex might be his only defense. If these to are some kind of regular thing you might want to approach her parents too, maybe something can be done on her end (insistence on condoms, birth control pills, depo shots, etc.)
Old 07-18-2002, 12:02 AM

Not only is it not safe, but there is no evidence that saltpeter actually decreases the libido.

http://www.snopes2.com/military/saltpetr.htm

Quote:
There's no proof potassium nitrate (also known as saltpeter) has any effect on libido, plus or minus, so there would be nothing to be gained from such a doctoring of edibles.
Quote:
Saltpeter can be toxic in large quantities. It can cause anemia, methemoglobinemia (a blood disorder), headache, stomach upset, dizziness, kidney damage, and can raise one's blood pressure to a dangerous level.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board, Beckyvs. As you may know, the inspiration for the SDMB is Cecil, Perfect Master, who knows everything worth knowing. In one of his columns, Does saltpeter suppress male ardor?, the Master comments that saltpeter is dangerous:
Quote:
Among other things potassium nitrate can cause gastroenteritis (violent stomachache), high blood pressure, anemia, kidney disease, and general weakness and torpor. It also has an alarmingly depressive effect on the heart. Too strong a dose and not only would you not be able to get it up, chances are you wouldn't be able to get up, period. All in all, there's still no substitute for the cold shower.
Rather than trying to slip a noxious substance into his food, why don't you try talking with him. Rumour has it that dialogue with the youth is a good thing.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:20 AM

I don't know how hard* it is to find saltpeter, but I understand that it has no real effect on a person's sexual desires or ability to function anyway. Sorry.

On a non-General Questions note, although I can understand your desire to keep your son from having sex, I think that seeking to chemically inhibit his sexuality is, well, it's just plain wrong. In my humble opinion, of course.

There are drugs out there that can produce the effect you're after, but I don't think any doctor with his, er, salt would give you a prescription.

Good luck with your situation!

* Bad unintentional pun discovered on Preview, but left alone.

Also on Preview, I see that cynic beat me to posting the Snopes link that I was going to; I never even thought to look for info on this subject on the SDMB as Northern Piper did.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:50 AM
Charter Member

Re: Salt peter question

Quote:

Anyway, I was hoping someone would know if salt peter is safe and if so where it can be purchased from.
Either potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate can be referred to as salt peter. The idea that it has an effect on the libido apparently has no more foundation that the word association of "salt" and a slang term or "penis."

Listen to what people here have told you and don't have anything to do with it.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:56 AM

If Saltpeter doesn't work out, I would suggest checking out the Straight Dope's question for today. If that doesn't work, I find that too much alcohol and pot keeps me down. Of course that might hurt his grades, but he'd make a bunch of new friends!

Hey, if they're gonna be together then they're gonna be together, best he knows how to go about it without introducing another member into the family (or worse). Besides, the sheer Embarassment value of talking with a parent about this will surely keep him thinking.

And I thought this was going to be a post about homemade gunpowder.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:41 AM

Have you considered having his penis removed? That will fix the whole sex issue.

Seriously, if you have a good relationship with your child and educate him on various issues and TRUST him, everything should be cool.

If you let him know you don't trust him, he'll have sex just to spite you.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Wow. I never heard the saltpeter thing before. Isn't saltpeter used for curing sausages? Unless I'm going nuts, I'm fairly certain at my family's farm in Poland I've seen them using saltpeter in sausages, and also here in Hungary. Is this a Bad Thing?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:30 AM

tricky problem, but giving out condoms? Could that be construed as encouraging underage sex? Is that legal?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:51 AM

I now think the OP is a troll but giving condoms to minors is defnitely not illegal.

Many schools do it, in fact.

Whether it encourages underage sex is open for debate.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Why would it be illegal? Some high schools in America since at least the early 1990s have had condoms accessible to their students. Research seems to point that teaching abstinence isn't working, so may as well educate them and keep 'em safe. Critics say distributing condoms encourages sex. My opinion? Education and condom availablilty is the only reasonable option.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, "keep 'em safe." -- okay, substitute "reduce their risk." Condoms are not a panacea, of course.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:40 AM

She ain't a troll - she just didn't get answers she was hoping for.

I think that 'risk' is something we have to live with, and we cannot get gurantees for everything.....guarantees like magical salt peter, chasity belts, etc.

Fact is, she'll need to take the reasonable approach and arm her kid with information, his inherent risks should he ignore her, and pay attention to what is going on.....to really be there for him.

Raising a child has risks...many which can be managed or moderated, but not too many can be removed completely.

SEX: Junior has to act responsibly sans chemicals so that he can continue to make other important decisions in his life.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:20 AM
BANNED

I take saltpeter daily, its one of the things in my toothpaste, Sensodyne. They use
its chemical name too. But I think the topic should be closed, there is something fishy about it.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:06 AM

I cannot believe some of you. I just asked a question, I know absolutely nothing about salt peter, someone just mentioned it to me, that is why I asked.
You have no idea what I have been through with my step son, I have raised him, he has ADD among many other problems that he suffers from.
We have talked about safe sex, condoms, refraining from sex, you name it, we've talked about it.
He is not your normal 14 year old boy, he has a lot of problems, and over the years I have found that no matter what you say or do he is going to do what he wants, he has a learning disability also, I try hard with him, I just don't want him to mess up his life.

Like I said, I just asked a simple question, I know nothing about the stuff, I guess it's alright for all the parents who go out and put their daughters on birth conrtol pills, but it's really hard looking at options for a boy with my step son's problems who is going to do what he wants.

Anyway thanks for all the ones who like to judge other people without knowing the situation or looking at themselves in the mirror.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:21 AM

Hey, Beckyvs....

Once again, you can't deal with the risk. See, in seeking information and supplying limited background, the risk is that you were going to get answers based on what we know - the extra risk being that you might be offended.

Are you catching onto a pattern yet?

Ok? The people here have reinforced the danger of salt peter by being adamament about not using it, and backing that up with info and alternatives to reinforce the feedback, which is, "don't use it".

This is a message board, with people. Not a reference desk. A reference desk will leave you wondering somewhat.

Thanks to the personal touches added by people here, you have a much stronger feeling now about salt peter....no?

Comparisons to the pill are unfair, because the pill is much more documented and has a deeper and somewhat sounder history to reference. Salt peter is more alonf the lines of "controlling sexual function" whereas the pill is birth control.

BIG DIFFERENCE. Duly noted by the SDMBers.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

In view of the extra information you posted Beckyvs, you're better off seeing a doctor and/or child psychologist about the whole issue, rather than asking for advice on a public anonymous message board.

In fact you're lucky you stumbled upon this particular board, where the answer has at least been thought about, you won't find that many places on the internet.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
There are drugs out there that can produce the effect you're after, but I don't think any doctor with his, er, salt would give you a prescription.
I'm genuinely curious about this. What are these drugs' names? Given the OP I should mention that I ask only for myself; I have no desire to medicate anyone else by force or trickery.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Parine

I'm genuinely curious about this. What are these drugs' names? Given the OP I should mention that I ask only for myself; I have no desire to medicate anyone else by force or trickery.
Pretty much *any* prescription antidepressant *can* have that effect on *some* individuals...
Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 PM

Grither

That *may* be true, but in my experience (Zoloft, Celexa) the effect is not a failure to perform, rather, a problem ejaculating. So sex is drawn out to excessively, I'd speculate that this could improve a SDT's chance for infection. These side effects cannot be counted upon, and seemingly vary from person to person (personal communications with others).
Old 07-18-2002, 04:02 PM

I cannot believe YOU. FYI, I have ADHD and OCD and I function just fine, thankyouverymuch, and I can control my urges.

What you are asking for, is, in effect, advice on how to administer a poisonous substance to your son.

Um, no. I don't think so.

Never ask a question if you aren't prepared to hear answers you might not like.

Old 07-18-2002, 04:39 PM

Quote:

You have no idea what I have been through with my step son, I have raised him, he has ADD among many other problems that he suffers from.
he has a learning disability also, I try hard with him, I just don't want him to mess up his life.

Anyway thanks for all the ones who like to judge other people without knowing the situation or looking at themselves in the mirror.
I know plenty about the situation. I've been a 14-year-old boy with ADHD, OCD, depression, social anxiety disorder, and panic attacks.

Not only did I carry condoms in my wallet, I kept them between two plastic cards to prevent ring-around-the condom. I also threw them away when they reached the expiration date(It's a sad thing carrying a condom for a year and never needing it
or the next one or the one after that )

Back To the OP

If you're so sure he'll have sex with that girl, have you tried talking to her parents?

Or, considering the level of parenting skills shown in your posts thus far, why not check out a certain other UL at Snopes? If salt peter strikes you as a good idea, you'll probably love the Japanese Mother solution! *

*Note to other Dopers. I just said that this is a UL. So there's no need to inform me that it is without basis in fact.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Mod Rocker

Guys? I agree that saltpeter is the wrong solution and that counselling and, perhaps, medical intervention by a licensed practitioner are better solutions.

However, given that a whole lot of people know nothing more than the old claim that "saltpeter lowers sex drive," I'm not sure where all this overt hostility and accusations of poisoining are coming from. If Beckyvs had never heard what saltpeter was or that it was toxic, why are so many posters claiming that she is "trying" to poison her son?

Saltpeter is a dumb idea--but it is one that floats around among those who know nothing more than its name. Fighting that ignorance (i.e., "not knowing") is the job of the Straight Dope. Abusing people for being ignorant seems beyond our charter.

(Are we going to pillory someone who asks about treating burns with butter?)
Old 07-18-2002, 05:24 PM

If SP doesn't work it will put your mind at ease if he takes it and you think it works

If SP does work by suppressing his desire for sex then at his age I would think his hormones would overpower the SP. again you might feel better about it though.

If SP does work by preventing erection but not effecting desire then your son (stepson?) will think he is impotent which might effect him the rest of his life.

wanta spin the wheel?

I think condom distrubution increases sex but also increases safe sex - so it's a tough call.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:49 PM
BANNED

As I said, SaltPeter is potassium nitrate, which is in Sensodyne toothpaste, go get some
at the store & see for yourself. I have some right here. Its a safe chemical otherwise
they wouldn't put it in the toothpaste, I assume.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Except that you aren't meant to actually consume the toothpaste in any sort of quantity.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomndebb
Saltpeter is a dumb idea--but it is one that floats around among those who know nothing more than its name. Fighting that ignorance (i.e., "not knowing") is the job of the Straight Dope. Abusing people for being ignorant seems beyond our charter.
Amen to that. It seems a lot of the folks in this thread presupposed that the OP was aware of the long-term health effects of the substance, a fact not established.

We can do a lot better than this.

On another note: handy, I told you to stay the heck out of the medical threads. I was not kidding. This is an official warning. If you post to another medical-related thread to say anything besides "you should ask your doctor," even if your post is correct, I will ask that the administration of the board revoke your posting privileges.

Last edited by manhattan; 07-18-2002 at 06:50 PM..
Old 07-18-2002, 06:52 PM

Thanks to the ones who were nice enough to put an answer and knew what I was trying to ask. After reading the post by cynic, I knew this was something that you should not mess with.

And for those like Guinastasia, I never said nothing about posioning my son, I just wanted to know about saltpeter and now I know, where you got that I was trying to poison my son remains a mystery. Apparently you do have a lot of mental issues.

I thought this was a message board to ask and question and get a reply, not get condemned for trying to find out information.

I did do internet searches, but could find nothing, that's why I posted here. I would never give anyone anything that could harm them in anyway, even my worst enemy.

Thanks Tomndebb, and the few others who knew that I was just asking a question, no matter how stupid it was.

I guess I have learned a hard lesson in knowing not to ask anything here again.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

StaffSgt/Beckyvs, we limit our membership to one username per person. Please email tubadiva@aol.com immediately to clear this up.

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by handy
As I said, SaltPeter is potassium nitrate, which is in Sensodyne toothpaste, go get some
at the store & see for yourself. I have some right here. Its a safe chemical otherwise
they wouldn't put it in the toothpaste, I assume.
Um, you don't swallow toothpaste.

And since salt peter could be poisonous, technically, yes, you are.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Hold on, I still want the answer to my sidepost. Corned beef, sausages, and a variety of other cured meats have saltpeter in them. What's the difference between this saltpeter and the saltpeter in the OP? Is it a matter of dosage? Is it chemical composition. As far as I know, the saltpeter used in corned beef is also potassium nitrate, although sodium nitrate can also be used. I've always thought saltpeter was a relatively common curing agent, and the websites I've gleaned seem to agree. What's the deal here?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StaffSgt
I guess I have learned a hard lesson in knowing not to ask anything here again.
I do hope not; please take heart; I think that what you have witnessed here is just people's deeply concerned reaction to what they percieved as a situation where a child could be about to suffer physical and psychological damage.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:10 AM

My point is that even if SP were safe and effective, it still raises major ethical concerns and IMHO no loving mother could even consider such deceit.

/me attempts to suppress images of Joan Crawford
Old 07-19-2002, 07:31 AM

I sincerely apologize if I'm being too harsh here. I should probably tone down my opinions a wee bit. It's just an emotional issue.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:43 AM

This has nothing to do with the post, but my curiousity is spiked; Why can't Handy answer medical questions?
Old 07-19-2002, 07:48 AM

Also how would one go about purchasing saltpeter? I ask because I heard it was the active ingrediant in smoke bombs (I think) and I figure the next time I go a paint balling, I could have an edge...
Old 07-19-2002, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StaffSgt
I did do internet searches, but could find nothing, that's why I posted here. I would never give anyone anything that could harm them in anyway, even my worst enemy.

If you did Internet searches, then you must have done one hell of a bang-up job to get "nothing". There are tons of sites out there that discuss saltpeter, including all of the encylopedia sites (Encarta, Columbia, Brittanica, et al.). And although these sites do not come right out and say that the substance is a poison, they do say that it's used in explosives.

So if you had actually done a search, even the most cursory search would have told you that using it was a bad idea. Even if you just came across the reference to explosives, you should have felt compelled to research a little further.

Where did you search?
Old 07-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Meatros
This has nothing to do with the post, but my curiousity is spiked; Why can't Handy answer medical questions?
Not a criticism of you for asking, but you probably ought to post that question in the pit, since it is technically a question about a specific moderator decision.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mangetout
Not a criticism of you for asking, but you probably ought to post that question in the pit, since it is technically a question about a specific moderator decision.
And not a criticism of you for responding, but that shouldn't be in the pit unless the asker was actively complaining about it. Legit questions go in ATMB.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I think it's probably borderline; ATMB seems to be more the place to put questions of the "what is board policy on X?" (i.e. for all members), whereas the pit tends to be more suitable for questions regarding specific decisions regarding specific members (although admittedly it's usually the member in question that raises the pit thread in this case).

But I'm no expert.

Maybe the whole question would be better handled by email...
Old 07-19-2002, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Are we going to pillory someone who asks about treating burns with butter?
Salted, or unsalted, Tom?
Old 07-19-2002, 10:34 AM

I was going to side with dantheman but.

A google.com search for "salt peter" (as the OP refers to it) gets me sites like this:
http://www.arm.ac.uk/press/Armagh-Digs-for-SALT.html
Professor Peter Cottrell, Head of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, visited Armagh last week to discuss new research links between Armagh and New Zealand under the auspices of the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT) partnership.

http://www.innermostimagery.com/promo/programs.htm
The Snail Shell Cave System of Rutherford County

Of course, Google also asked me "Did you mean: saltpeter "
Old 07-19-2002, 10:38 AM

Well, true - I didn't chop it into two words. But still, I'd love to know where the searches were performed. I know I'd probably not just give up if one search turned up nothing, and then turn to an anonymous MB for help.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
Well, true - I didn't chop it into two words. But still, I'd love to know where the searches were performed. I know I'd probably not just give up if one search turned up nothing, and then turn to an anonymous MB for help.
Y'know, I often go directly here for answers to questions. How many "HELP! My Windows 2000 is acting wierd." posts have you seen in GQ? Sure, you can find the info on the net, but sometimes it's easier/better to just get the SD, no? And what better way to stop lurking than to ask a question?

There is a version of this in the pit where I bitch about the post-nazi-police tactics used, unfortunately, yet again on the SDMB. Only got 2 posts? ferggedaboutit. Yer either with us, or a troll...
Here.

-T
Old 07-19-2002, 01:02 PM

Actually, it's a bad idea to come directly here before doing any research whatsoever, at least for GQ-type questions. Although it's true that some people on here are experts in their own fields, this is not an "expert" resource - you'll either get opinions of people whose credentials you cannot immediately verify - or you'll get a host of factual answers from people who found them on the Internet itself.

Asking a question in GQ that can be answered easily by searching the Internet is discouraged, because a) who knows, the answer you get here might not be the correct one and b) there may be several answers to choose from. Always best to check with the authorities first - references such as Google, Snopes, HowStuffWorks, and so on. If you can't find an answer to your query after doing at least a little research, then it makes sense to come here and see if people have any ideas - but even then, try to keep in mind that there's always going to be a degree of credibility when you're getting responses from people whom you do not know.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:43 PM

The thing is, those two links I gave were the first two results (in practice, the first page of results is generally the most on-topic) on Google, which is one of the better search engines, IME, for finding sites most relevent to your search terms. I shudder to think what the OP found if she was using, for example, Yahoo and searched for "salt peter" rather than "saltpeter". 50,000 geocities pages talking about some guy named Peter putting salt on his dinner, I expect. I'd give up and go to an anonymous message board after that.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:47 PM

Not that this isn't a huge hijack and all, but - would you really give up and come here? I sure wouldn't. There are countless sites out there to find info on, even if the search engine doesn't help you. If you're thinking of saltpeter for medicinal purposes, for example, you might try WebMD or Merck or anything that sounds remotely medical - heck, try the site for your drugstore. Anything.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

tomndebb, I respectfully must disagree with your position. It's quite true that Beckyvs posed a question, namely where she could get some saltpeter, and obviously was not aware of the potential dangers. However, I don't think that's what triggered the response here.

Personally, what creeped me out about her question was the underlying assumption: that she, as a parent, has the right to control her son's sexuality by chemical means. That's highly problematic, in my mind, and I think is what contributed to the response she got - people responded to her assumption, not her question.

There's two aspects to the assumption, and both of them are worrisome, in my opinion. First, the casual acceptance of chemical means to affect someone else's sex drive. Adminstering chemicals to someone else, without any knowledge of the chemical's possible side effects, for the purpose of suppressing sexual drives, strikes me as downright scary. That's not like putting a bit of weedkiller on the lawn - if it's to be done at all, it should only be done on the advice and supervision of a medical professional, who knows what's at stake and what the chemical will do.

(And, as an aside to Beckyvs on her comment about birth control bills for girls - to the best of my knowledge, you need a doctor's prescription to get birth control pills, so the doctor can assess the possible risks and side-effects. Parents can't just "go out and put their daughters on birth control pills" - they need the opinion of a medical doctor that the prescription is appropriate and safe.)

The other scary aspect about Beckyvs' starting point is that as a mother, she has the right to control her son's sex drive. That also strikes me as highly problematic. If she wants to provide guidance for her son, giving him advice, moral inculcation - that's great. But simply assuming that she can veto his sexual impulses - that kind of control approach is creepy. Sexuality is one of the most personal aspects of one's personal autonomy. For a parent to assume that she can unilterally control the child in that way - ick.

So yes, Beckyvs posed a question and the SDMB is the place for factual questions to be asked and answered. But it's also a place where we talk about the moral implications of questions - and this question cried out for that kind of comment, in my respectful opinion.
Closed Thread