How to Acquire Eight Cats

Ever since I moved out of the family house to my own place, I’ve had cats. Lots of cats. Clumps of cats. Never less than two, and usually more. Right now, I have eight.

“Eight!” people exclaim; “How on Earth did you ever wind up with eight cats?” Easy! Here’s how:

When I moved, after many years of city life, from Boston to Exurbia, I brought along Tiger, Allegra, York, and Tribble – all strays I’d taken in off the streets of Boston, except for York, who was foisted on me by my then vet. Old age took Tiger, at 19, a couple of years after we’d left the city. Meanwhile, two black four-month-old kitties appeared one day at the barn where I boarded my horse, Nicky. After a month of waiting to see if anyone else would adopt them, I took Sophie and Sylvia home. Since they were still juveniles, the hissing, yowling, and death threats from the other cats abated fairly soon. The old and new felines, in fact, became quite chummy.

Then I moved to my current home, a townhouse condo with four levels (including the partially finished basement) and roughly 1600 square feet of living area. Plenty of room for everyone. The infirmities of age took Allegra soon after, and I was down to four. All was well for a couple of years, and then I lost both York and Tribble to illness within a couple of months. I was heartbroken. Only two cats! There was a void in my life.

When the first, fierce grief had lessened, and I was ready to adopt again, I couldn’t bear to take in another calico – Tribble was a cat of a lifetime. I did want two kittens, so they’d keep each other company during the adjustment period. Calling around to various rescue organizations, I found – amazing! – a dearth of kittens. Finally, Danvers Strays In Need told me they had kittens in the right age range (about four months old). Three brothers, in fact – but I didn’t have to take them all. Just come and see them, and decide whether I wanted one or two.

So I came, I saw, I was conquered. I took home Eddy, Teddy, and Freddy. Well, how could I break up the matched set? More hissing, growling, yowls, and death threats, especially from Sylvia, Defender of the Free World (when she isn’t napping), but eventually things settled down, and the boys grew. And grew. AND GREW. Eddy’s now 16 inches from withers to tailhead, Freddy’s nearly as large, and only Teddy is “normal” cat size.

Two years later, I had throat surgery to remove a golfball-sized cyst (benign) and celebrated by adopting another black girl kitten, Serena, from Danvers SIN. The integration wasn’t too difficult – the other cats pretty much rolled their eyes, sighed, and got on with their lives.

I now had three black girls and three orange boys. So it made perfect sense, when I visited a friend in Ontario a few months later, to come home with Patches, the tortoiseshell kitten that her adopted stray had produced. The fact that this was in 2001 and I was flying home with a kitten in a carrier just a month after September 11 added a surreal touch.

So: three black girls, three orange boys, all with some white markings, and a tortoiseshell with white patches girl. Perfect, right? Then why, in the summer of 2002, when I brought EddyTeddyFreddy to the vet for their annual checkup, did I walk out with them plus two buff-colored boy kittens? Heh. The folks at my vets’ office know me so well. They thrust the wee bundles of fur into my arms with a sob story of their origins, and, well…

So: three black girls, three dark orange boys, two light orange boys, and a tortie. Wait, that’s nine!

Patches was unhappy in the herd. Miserable, in fact. Teddy took particular delight in pouncing on her, and he plays rough. Patches began leaving Statements of Distress about the house. Freddy began marking over them. What to do? I finally found a new home for Patches as a barn cat at a friend’s farm, and she’s fat, happy, and snug in her haynest there.

Meanwhile, the rest of the cats get along just fine. Oh, there’s some playful wrestling, and sometimes a senior cat must discipline a whippersnapper, but mostly all is harmony and amiable relations.

Thus: eight cats.

So are you like extra crazy? I had 4 cats for a short time and most people assumed I was nuts. Which is true but for different reasons.

:eek:

HOLY FURBALLS, ETF! that’s incredible! I like cats (I once thought I was one), but hoo boy, you deserve a trophy!

You sound like my former boss. She had a few cats (one of which stayed at the office) and a dog or two to boot, and was always taking in strays or give-aways … your name wouldn’t happen to be Jennifer, would it? :dubious:

You are so lucky… and kind to boot.

I have two and a dog. I want more.

That is too cute a story, bookmarking time!

Thanks, everyone. I hope you enjoy all the picture links. Selecting and coding them took a lot longer than actually writing the story. :smiley:

Is there something wrong with me cause I looked at every one of those and went, “Awww!Lookitthekitties!Kittieskittieskitties!”? Nah…(There’s something wrong with me cause I sent the link to my GF with “Awww!Lookitthekitties!Kittieskittieskitties!” as my explanatory text.)

Those are some cute cats.

I think your cats and my cats should go bowling sometime.

They’re beautiful! I hope you’re all happy together :wink:

That is quite the story and good for you for adopting out of a rescue. Our house is currently holding at 6, but our record was 12. (Yes, that is a story, which I will share if anyone has any interest.) Your cats are adorable. And your boys and my boys could probably start a feline football team. :smiley:

Excellent cats. I’m currently holding steady at five. I’m forcing myself not to get anymore because I’m going to have to move soon and I’m a little worried about where I’m going to put all of them.
-Lil

Heh. That was my reaction, too. Kittieskittieskitties.

When I see a leopard on TV, I alway inform my husband that I want another kitty, a SPOTTED kitty this time. He keeps telling me that a spotted kitty would eat my other two kitties. I keep telling myself that regular house cats are QUITE wild enough as it is. Our two just got done with the Evening Crazies, where they ran around the house hissing and spitting and tackling each other. But it was all in play, they were not mad at each other.

Great to see your pics, ETF.

Just goes to prove that cat people count like trolls in Terry Pratchett books… one, two, many, lots.

I’m holding firm at three felines, but Mr. Amanita is wanting another.

Heh. Notice how many of you with multiple cats speak of “holding at”…? My limit on total accumulation is nine. If I were ever to get into double digits, I’d be doomed – who knows how many I’d end up with?

I have a friend who combined her household with her boyfriend’s, and they now have a dozen felines. And feed outside ferals.

Yup, we’re all crazy, but would any of you have it any other way?

I didn’t think so. :smiley:

Great story and pictures, I know how they can add up.

I only have three, but I’d love to have more. I had four when I lived in the country (one cat stayed with my ex, and the lineup has changed a bit in the last ten years). We are pretty full now, with the three cats and three dogs. I knew when I was 21 that I’d become one of those ladies who had a lot of cats (although three isn’t many by some standards). It’s just impossible right now though. Going to Petsmart is torture, all those poor strays.

Oh, I forgot to add: Hey, PucksRaven, by all means, do tell us about your dozen!

It doesn’t help that we’d love a cat or two, but can’t swing the pet deposit (and the adoption fees and all the kitty stuff and the shots…andandand)…

Awww, lookit the kitties!

I’m staying with people who have 6 cats at the moment. A few years ago they had 8, I think. They all have regular names (scooter, magic etc…) except for Seven whom at one time was the 7th cat.

Get a Bengal, Lynn. They’re a cross between the Asian Leopard Cat and a house cat. The end result is a spotted housecat. My grandmother had one. Or rather, the cat had her… But they’re supposed to be sweet overall.

http://www.tibcs.com/home.php

-Lil

Those Bengal cats are pretty! Prettykitties!