Fun and games with Mr Austin Wemba

Contrary to advice I have previously given, I decided to reply to one of the multitude of email scammers (it was 22 million dollars this time, so he must be telling the truth!)

Well done. I especially like “do you speak Blikster?”

My habit of late has been to wait until I have 2 of those messages then forward each one on to the other. Maybe they can scam themselves.

The Telephone number I gave him is for Warner Bros in California - of which Hanna Barbera (creators of the Dick Dastardly character) is a subsidiary.

[mutley]HeHeHe[/mutley]

Shame we won’t get to hear the phone call. Do you intend to string this clown along further?

I’ll keep him going as long as I can; if he actually phones Warner Bros, he may catch on from there, but if his English isn’t all that good (and if he asks for Dick Dastardly), they may just give up on him and hang up, leaving me the option of inventing some cunning excuse and giving him another ‘contact number’ - maybe one of those pre-recorded hoax lines.

Bravo, Mangetout. Brilliant stuff.

I’m trying to figure out the angle on this one. Don’t they usually want you to give them your bank account numbers or transfer money for them or some such thing? What on earth does he get by asking you to fly to South Africa? I’m guessing that he’s dense enough to believe he can get someone to fly all the way over there and actually complete the “transaction” - into your offshore account no less. BWAHAHA

But seriously… what if it’s real? :wink:

I would imagine that he’s saving the bit where he suddenly needs ‘release fees’ etc until I’ve booked my flight and I am somewhat committed; if he doesn’t, then it is pretty clear that his intention is kidnap.

Seriously, if it’s real, monkeys will soon be flying out of my butt…

I also predict that he will respond to my inquiry of what I should bring:
-Expensive consumer goods such as laptops and watches
-Money for bribing officials

Love it! Do you think you can work Snagglepuss in there too, or would that just be pushing it? :smiley:

I’m nearly a millionaire, Wooo Hooo!

‘one of my mothers’ and ‘WAITING FOR DICK’

fucking brilliant. but how long will it keep going…?
:smiley:

I will consider the operation a complete success if he sends me a picture of himself holding a sign that says “WAITING FOR DICK” - this might seem unlikely, but it has been done before (and better, but I have to start somewhere)

I expect to receive another message in an hour or two, unless the poor shmuck has tumbled it, but this time I thought I’d fire off a quick pre-empt:

If he takes the bait and comes back with the requested photo, I’m going to feign intense insecurity and ask him for another one with the sign written in my native language (Blikster) - in Blikster, the phrase “Waiting for Dick” is written “Ori fice for Dick”.

The saga continues:

If he actually sends the photo, try to play him a little farther. Tell him you have a new cell phone number, and get him to call that number and give precise details of the transaction.

The number is 202-456-1111.

That’s the White House public comments line. :smiley:

No photograph as yet, but he also hasn’t batted an eye at the wording, so maybe…

…Aaaand here comes the reason they call this an ‘Advance Fee Scam’…

One thing that really strikes me about all this is the aura of plausibility that the scammer is trying to weave - OK, there are some serious flaws in his story (he’s a refugee with internet access and a chauffeur) - but the hotel telephone number was genuine (I looked it up rather than called it) - I expect the reservation is too, although I’m pretty sure I’d never actually make it to the hotel if I were to fly out there.
I’ve removed all traceable references, as I don’t want any dopers, well meaning or otherwise, to spoil things by trying to call them.

Still no photo - I’m determined to get one before I spill the beans.

I’m not sure what to do next - I have one or two tentative plans:

Plan 1:
Email him on Wednesday to say that I’m in my room at the hotel (having had trouble calling his driver), but that might result in some innocent person at the actual hotel being mugged.

Plan 2:
Tell him my connecting flight was diverted due to severe weather and add some more improbable stories to the pile.

Plan 3: Tell him there was no reservation for me at the hotel he gave me, so i booked into the Mariam Abacha hotel on Joseph Guei street, room 419 (if you’ve received any of these scam emails in the past, you’ll get the references.

Plan 4: Tell him that my (fictional) deceased aunt’s estate amounts to xx million dollars, but there is a problem with the will and I would cut him in for a 25% share if he comes to help me claim it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Shame you didn’t ask him to offer to subsidise your trip to SA.

Perhaps you could tell him that you need offers of gold for your funeral before your Aunt can rest in peace - an old Blikstian custom? :smiley: