Holy Crap! It seems BTK has re-surfaced!

I was just pulling up a browser window to check on the various web comics I follow and read any new editions, when this news story caught my eye. I hope the new forensics techniques catch that bastard, and that he’s convicted on all counts and given the maximum punishment! I don’t think such menaces should ever be let out of prison again, at the least.

For those of you who don’t know quite what I’m talking about, here is a Crime Library story covering the crimes.

I wonder how many other crimes he’s commited in the intervening years? :frowning:

Forgive me if there’s already a thread on this, I cannot search to make certain I’m not duplicating yet.

I would wager BTK probably hasn’t had a lot of crimes in the intervening years. Serial killers that contact the media tend to take credit for all of their crimes (and, potentially, some that aren’t even theirs – as Zodiac seemed to). If he’s sending information about that old of a crime, I’d guess he’s probably not still killing, he’s still getting off on the old crimes. Perhaps he’s no longer physically able to commit the same type of aggressive, violent crime.

My point was this, it was claimed that he’d stopped killing in 1977, there were several murders in the 1980’s that police “discounted” as being connected. They stuck to their theory that BTK had “stopped” in 1977, yet now the police department just did an about face, and said that it appears that a murder in 1987 is connected to BTK. So, I wonder if those other, discounted murders, and maybe some others are his work too? Read the Crime Library story, to better understand my point. :frowning:

Hope they catch him this time.

Correct that year to 1986 for the recently attributed murder. (That’ll teach me to fact check a bit when I proofread.)

Reading the second link I´m a bit, how could I say it, baffled at this:

And then

WT-bloody-F!?, seven years, massive amounts of evidence, an IBM computer and that constitutes a startling finding? :mad:

That confused me too. From watching many, many movies about serial killers, even I know that practically the first thing you’re supposed to do is get a big map and some push pins.

The “geographical forensics” techniques hadn’t really become widespread practice yet though. They were just starting to be developed and become accepted as a useful technique everywhere.

zabaki, you seem to have a strong interest in this case. where and when did you go to college?

just kidding!

/Deadpan gaze

Um, I live in Kansas, I was a child at the time those murders were happening. I used to frequently travel to Wichita to go dancing, eat out, and have fun. Haven’t been able to lately. That’s why news that this serial killer is taking any kind of action again has struck a nerve. FYI I’m female. Check profiles much, djf750?

Deadpan gaze/

This was my first thought, that he’d been in and out of prisons or possibly mental institutions during the down times. The police are probably searching for someone incarcerated or institutionalized between 1979 and 1985, and then again from 1987 to the present.

I was reading this last night, gave me a shiver.

The whole thing sounds like some sick Se7en sequel. Scary world I guess.

Ugh. We had just moved to Wichita about the time BTK started sending his cute little letters to the newspaper and KAKE-TV. One of his victims was killed in a house a couple doors down from the Dillon’s supermarket on Hydraulic we always shopped at.

I remember hearing his voice on the tape the cops had made. He sounded rather prissy and middle-aged. I don’t know if he could have faked that. I remember when they revealed they’d put subliminal messages into some of the news stories.

We left Wichita in '84 and I hadn’t thought about that guy since then. The news stories bring back a lot of unpleasant memories.

Ironically we moved to the Los Angeles area just in time to be frightened once again by the Night Stalker.

Not to defend a tacky attempt at humor, but guests can’t view profiles.

Startling only to folks who never read the Wichita Eagle, which published a quarter-page map three or four days running this week. Look’s like they’re going to ride this horse for all they can get from it (until the equine aforesaid collapses in exhaustion atop Catherine the Great [sorry - just saw a reference to her in another thread]). Wish I had time now to read that full Crime Story item. Odds are there are several mistakes in it (not to mention idiocies like this one cited above by ale).

Maybe one reason the WPD hadn’t attributed any unsolved 80s homicides to BTK was that he hadn’t bragged about committing any - until last week.

Here’s hoping BTK was dumb enough to lick the envelope he sent the Eagle; but given his track record, I doubt it.

My SIL noticed on CNN that the envelope that was sent by the BTK was addressed to the Wichita Eagle & Beacon. She said it has not been the Wichita Eagle & Beacon for years.
She grew up in Wichita and was about 7 or so when the BTK killer was full swing. She said he was the real boogeyman to her.

If I recall correctly, the letter was addressed to the Wichita Eagle and Beacon Publishing Co., which may still be the corporate name. (Like it matters.) (I couldn’t find a copy of the envelope on their web site).

Speaking of which, you’ll find the Eagle at www.kansas.com . Be advised: a popup lurks around every corner.

The map I snarked about earlier is at http://www.kansas.com/multimedia/kansas/archive/btk/MapTimeline.pdf .

Specifically, the wording is The Wichita Eagle & Beacon Pub. Co. Inc., as you can see in the photo accompanying this story from the New York Times. (Newspaper site requires free registration)

Ukulele Ike started another thread on the killer in the MPSIMS forum.

Yep he did, made mine days before his though. :cool:

It takes that long for the pony to carry the dispatch-satchels from Kansas to New York City.

Looking at the PDF map, I see that I liked about in the epicentre of the murders during that time.

Dad? Was that you? (could be, for all I know, he was a drugged-out loser psychopath who still lives in Wichita…). I also see that one of the killings was within a block of a grandparent’s house.