Simpsons from Northern Kentucky?

On the season finale of the Simpsons, did I hear correctly?Have they finally revealed just where the family is from?

I don’t know U.S. geography, so is there even a Springfield in Northern Kentucky? What about their accents?

I’m confuzzed…

i just caught that too… atlas does show a Springfield, Ky… I guess that solves a mystery.

They hint a different state on about half the shows.
The joke is that Springfield was picked because it’s one of the most common names, besides various presidents that seem to be everywhere.

They’re not from any state. It was only a teaser. BTW, that was the worst Simpson’s episode I’ve ever seen. Never felt let down by them until tonight.

Right Ron. I guess you watch the show for the plithy political debates. That was the funniest Simpsons in a loooong time. Nice to see they can still do it when they try.

Shows like the one tonight are never canon. They put in things like that each “special” just to jerk your chain, like how the supermarket scanner that Maggie is run across really reads “NRA4EVER”.

Um HELLO!!! some of us on the west coast have not seen it yet! ah duh.

B_Line-The butler did it.

I dunno, I was slightly worried by that episode. Sure it was funny and all, but the revelation of Northern Kentucky combined with the final bit in the studio was a bit unsettling.

Sorry B_Line… I offer you this here gold medallion, along with my apology.

I see these words, and I hear Comic Book Guy talking.

Worst episode ever

Yeah, but Ronnie’s never been one for intelligent ideas.

Anyway, that one was great.

Final bit about the studio? I must have missed that. What was it?

–Tim

Woo-hoo! Kentucky, baby! Fast horses, bourbon whiskey, Ashley Judd, teenage pregnancy–and now the Simpsons! We rock!

I was going to ask about this–I thought they might have put in a different line for each state. But no–Kentucky it is! Woo-hoo!

(Sorry if I’m taking this a little bit seriously, but we don’t get to gloat about much outside the occasional NCAA Tournament victory. Let me have my moment.)

Dr. J

i thought it was a great episode… they made fun of some new stuff… well done i think!

best one this season was the one where homer becomes a missionary i think , what about you?

I hadn’t realized that Homer (the actor played by Homer Simpson) had to go through all of that physical therapy because of the demanding physical gags he does.

rubes

ps: I did get suckered into the pre breaks with “Coming up, we’ll see the dark side” and then Homer says, “Let me make this clear, I thought that cop was a prostitute” I really thought that was where the show would pick up after the break. I’ve been too conditioned by those scandal shows and where are they now.

Huh?

I don’t remember them mentioning northern Kentucky.

Dammit, now I have to deal with the both redneck 'Tuckers driving their four-wheelers on I-75 and them Simpson folk. Sounds like trouble be a brewin if ya ask me.

Of course, if you take “Northern Kentucky” to be the northernmost part of kentuckey, then I’m probably the closest doper to the action, since I live in Cincinnati and all…

BTW “I live by Homer, and you Don’t” t-shirts are now on sale, only $25 a pop.

Right near the end the narrator says:
“…and now the future looks brighter than ever for this Northern Kentucky family.”

Homer! Long time no see. How are the implants working out for you, buddy? And I’ve noticed the mean streak you’re so famous for has waned. Prozac?

P.S. Still the worst episode made in a long time, IMHO. But hey, the best show ever made still has to have a worst episode.

A quick Mapquest search confirmed what I thought, upon reflection, was the case: there is a Springfield, KY, but it is not in Northern KY at all, but in dead-central Kentucky. (It’s between Bardstown and Danville, in case you’re curious.)

Northern Kentucky is a pretty well-defined region–make a Kentucky shape with your hand, and your thumb is Northern Kentucky. It is basically Covington (the south side of Cincinnati–that’s why the airport code is CVG) and a whole slew of suburbs. Those of us from the backwoods of Kentucky like to call it “Southern Ohio”, in much the same way we refer to “Louisville, Indiana”.

Given that there’s no Springfield there, I wonder how they pulled Northern Kentucky out of their ass.

Dr. J