The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 PM

Breast Implants for Graduation Gift?

I just read a quick headline that states that breast implants are becoming a popular graduation gift for girls.

Would you buy implants for your daughter? Why or why not?

I don't think any amount of begging would get me to buy boobs for my kid. I think it sends the shallowest of messages. I'd hate for my child to want them so badly that they'd actually ask their own parents for them!

Anyone?
Advertisements  
Old 06-15-2004, 04:33 PM

umm, cite?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:38 PM

Well, I figure if somebody wants bigger boobs that's fine. I don't know that I'd buy them for a daughter, but if I were dating someone and her parents bought her some, I probably wouldn't complain.

Basically, from the perspective of your daughter being your daughter it doesn't seem to make sense, but I think from the perspective of your daughter being a woman it does.

What kind of woman your daughter becomes after she graduates isn't really up to the parents, and if some of the girls I know are typical, the size of her breasts may be the only thing you have control over

That doesn't you'd have to buy them of course, but for big ticket money tossing purchases you can give a girl, larger breasts may be a good option if that's what she really wants. You can always mention that for the same price she can get a corvette of course...
Old 06-15-2004, 04:39 PM

Whatever.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040615-1.html

Does this subject really require the snarky smilie because I didn't post a cite? I swear! I wasn't making it up!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:00 PM

"Breast Implants: For when you want to send the message she won't make it far in the world without big tits."
Old 06-15-2004, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowval
"Breast Implants: For when you want to send the message she won't make it far in the world without big tits."
I wanted to clarify though that it's different if the girl wants them. I wouldn't offer them to somebody if they hadn't asked!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:29 PM

It happened to a student at my wife's school. One of formal students got boobies as a gift.

Her boyfriend paid for one.

Who paid for the other?

SPOILER:
Her father!

You can be ill now.

She currently has a website to show off her new, uh, assets. They've gotten her several modelling jobs, though.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:30 PM

:smack"

FORMER, not "formal".
Old 06-15-2004, 05:32 PM

Back to Coding 101 for me.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:36 PM

I'm not a parent, but if I were, NO! It seems like it's sending the wrong message about body image and self acceptance. The parents in that article talk about how it's good for their "self esteem", but come on. I know it's hard to believe, but it IS possible for a woman to have self esteem and confidence even with small boobs!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Well, I guess I'll be the first...

Sure, I'd buy breast implants for my daughter. After all, she's an adult and it's her car. Of course, those plastic bags of silicone would look really silly hanging from her mirror...
Old 06-15-2004, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinrabbit
I wanted to clarify though that it's different if the girl wants them. I wouldn't offer them to somebody if they hadn't asked!
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to compose the Hallmark card to go along with the gift.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:07 PM

I've heard the story, since it's been picked up by every comedian, radio talk show host, and TV commentator in the country.

Obviously, it's a ridiculous idea, and IF it's a genuine trend, I find it sickening. But... somehow, I'm not convinced there's a real trend. I suspect this is just one of those stories that gets overblown for a few weeks, and that somewhere down the road, after the story has died down, we'll see stats showing that there really HASN'T been any great increase in 18 year old girls getting implants, let alone having their parents pay for them as a graduation gift.

I mean, remember how worked up people got a few years ago, when some feminist group claimed that huge numbers of women were battered on Super Bowl Sunday? For all the press that story got, it still turned out to be insubstantial. My hunch is, this story is, too.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian
I mean, remember how worked up people got a few years ago, when some feminist group claimed that huge numbers of women were battered on Super Bowl Sunday? For all the press that story got, it still turned out to be insubstantial. My hunch is, this story is, too.
Here's an interesting link on that.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 PM

Hrm. Definitely out of the question for a mere high school graduation. You're not done growing for another few years.

For college graduation? Maaaaaaaaaybe.

It depends, though. Is she fully grown and proportionate? Then no.

I had a friend in high school who, as a child, had to have half a lung removed. The result was one A cup breast and one D. Her (very strange) mother declared "we'll just have the other one reduced."

This girl was 6'1" and large framed. WTF?

So if my daughter was fully grown and ended up looking *really* strange because her breasts weren't in proportion to her body, then maybe, if it was screwing with her self image. To me it would be akin to having a really bad nose or something.

That said, if she were "normal" in size, then no. I'd rather buy her a new car for producing a Bachelor's, not new boobs.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:23 AM

For my high school graduation, my parents gave me ... four years paid tuition at the post-secondary institution of my choice. That rang in at pretty darn close to $40,000 CDN. At that time (1989) that would have been one hot car. Even now, it is the downpayment on a townhouse in most urban areas.

For my university graduation, they came to see me graduate with my peers, and took a number of us out to dinner to celebrate my "university family," who had made my stay in a province three time-zones away from my family into something a great deal better than the torture I was expecting. That is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life: sitting around a restaurant table with many of my dorm friends and my parents, telling our stories again one last time. My dad was back at school full-time, and my mom was supporting him and my younger brother, who was about to start university too. Resources were very strained, and still, they took us all out for this great dinner.

I'm just glad to say, "thanks for the memories," not "thanks for the mammories."
Old 06-16-2004, 12:33 AM

Breast implants would be a perfectly fine gift for a college graduation. Hell, that would be pretty damn neat! But for high school, definitely a resounding no. Not only is an 18 year old girl's body possibly not done growing yet, but it is highly doubtful that she has researched all the cosmetic and health risks, the different procedures and materials, which doctors are the most reputable, etc. It's highly likely that all the girl is thinking is "I'm an adult now, and I need my rack to be huge, NOW!!"

I am, in fact, an eighteen year old girl who is graduating from high school in two days. I've been thinking seriously about breast implants for a couple years now - nothing major, just from a large C to a D - and I do a lot of research and reading up on the operation. My plan is to wait until my 20th birthday - if I still want them when I'm 20, I'll start saving money each month and for my 22nd birthday go out and buy me the highest quality damn tits my money can buy. That will have been six years from the time I first wanted implants to the time I actually get the procedure. A long wait, sure, but it will be worth it to know that my decision was a well thought-out one and that I didn't rush into anything.

I'm doing a similar thing with tattoos; I've had a design in mind for years now, and plan on getting started on my sleeves next year.

Kind of got off subject there is, but my main point is: No eighteen year old really needs breast implants. We have a lot of living in front of us and we have yet to mature in a lot of ways. When it comes to permanent cosmetic changes to your body, there really is no such thing as waiting too long to make a decision.

Buy the girl a nice car instead. I know I wouldn't turn one down.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:45 AM

And funnily enough, my parents are paying for me to be more attractive as a graduation present, too: they've agreed to get me a membership to the gym of my choice (Yes, I requested it).
Old 06-16-2004, 01:18 AM

A girl at my high school (the President of the graduating class before me, and head cheerleader to boot) didn't just get a boob job when she graduated. She got one at the beginning of tenth grade as well.

Mom and Dad were retarded.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:36 AM

Speaking as a former rather...um...large busted gal (no, I won't place numbers and the numerous letters which came afterwards to indicate the size my bust was at one point), who had a breast reduction several years ago, I must say that my self esteem increased when my breasts decreased to managable size.

Big breasts are really cool when you want to do something like hang out in a bikini, but for everyday life (like sleeping, exercising, walking down stairs, showering, cooking, hefting babies on you hip, etc.) they're horrible. Try strapping two cinderblocks to your chest and see how comfy it is.

Giving my daughters breast implants for high school graduation? Get real. Geesh, I gave them earrings...
Old 06-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

My daughter wouldn't even consider the concept, but I'd never do such a thing to her even if she did.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:31 AM

If it were for college graduation? Sure. A kid that old probably wouldn't be all that swayed by "messages" that I sent concerning self esteem. People should be happy with their bodies, and if they're not and can change it then it's okay with me (as long as it's nothing weird like wanting to be an amputee or something). I'd see no reason to make my daughter wait until she could afford the procedure to get it done.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:23 AM

If I may ask stately plump buck mulligan why are you planning on this sort of surgery for a C to D change? To me it seem a rather trivial "upgrade" for that sort of money. As a male with a GF with "Cs" I don't need her to get any bigger than what my hand could hold Of course her body sports "Cs" perfectly. What is the size difference between the two anyways?

As for me, I'd like to think I would raise my daughter in a way to make sure she knew boobs weren't needed to get anywhere. Of course if she was in someway unusually shaped I might shell out for it (of course it would be ultimately up to my wife and daughter, I couldn't comment on something like that without feeling like a sicko!).
Old 06-16-2004, 10:32 AM

For the daughter? No.

For the wife? Sure. "Honey, the kids are off to college. Woo hoo! We get our lives back! We finally have the house to ourselves, and plenty of catching up to do. Wanna buy me new boobs? We'll have plenty of alone time to enjoy them."
Old 06-16-2004, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
I just read a quick headline that states that breast implants are becoming a popular graduation gift for girls.

Would you buy implants for your daughter? Why or why not?
No, not really. I'm all about that whole "be happy with yourself as you are" (within healthy limits, of course), and if I had that kind of cash to throw around, I'd rather drop it on a good used car...or a semester of college...or just about anything else, honestly. Granted, if she had her own money and wanted to spend it on that, that'd be up to her, but I wouldn't pay for that.

*bamf*
Old 06-16-2004, 11:55 AM

I knew T-Bonds had been a popular graduation gift for awhile, I'd just always figured that'd stood for Treasury.

While there's nothing wrong with Magna Cums being lauded, my little girl will receive from us something far more germaine to insuring her future intellectual success than something that suggests her present appearance needs surgical correction. If when she's grown she decides to go that route, fine, but she's going to be hard pressed to receive encouragement from us until she's well into adulthood.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:52 PM

If the size of my daughter's breasts affected her self-esteem to the extent that she wanted surgery, I would seriously question the values I had passed on to her, as well as wonder why I had given her so little sense of self-worth.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

What I find funny here is the posters saying that parents should not send their kids that kind of message, when I'm sure if the girl were buying them for herself, it would be perfectly okay. The message is still, "You're not good enough, but an expensive and risky procedure will set you right."
I am very ambivalent about this issue, as I have struggled to accept the smallness of my breasts all my life. On the one hand, it's a terrible thing to have to go through in order to fit in. On the other hand (and I am not exaggerating here), my whole life could have been better if I had not gone through most of it feeling ugly and worthless.
So, in closing, I am horrified that this message is coming to these girls from their parents and their society, yet realistically, boobs could possibly be far more beneficial to them than any car.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phall0106
Speaking as a former rather...um...large busted gal
Same here, though I think you were bigger. But I'm darn short to begin with.

I was thinking that the implant idea would only be fair if parents of overly-largely-breasted girls would fund reductions for them if they wanted. Being really big is a major pain -- literally!
Old 06-16-2004, 03:20 PM

This story was just mentioned in an e-mail newletter I receive called "Bizarre News". The newsletter writer, at the end of the story, asked, "Does America need more 18 and 19-year-old D cups?"

My reply to him was as follows:
Quote:
Good lord, no! This just proves to me that it is women, not men, who are obsessed with large breasts. Sure, some men may be attracted to big ones, but it's not going to be their final criteria for picking a woman. And it seems to me that more men than women are aware that big ones are going to be slapping their knees years down the road. Big boobs are not a substitute for personality. To update a quote from the late, great Jane Mansfield (I think), "More than a great pair of [breasts], a man is most interested in a woman who is interested in him."
Gimme a pair of B-cups any day. I was very impressed several years ago with supermodel Tyra Banks who, when asked if she would consider plastic surgery, replied, "I'd like to have a breast reduction."
Old 06-16-2004, 03:52 PM

Gosh, I feel like such a geek. I didn't even want the car, whether or not breast implants! *hugs her laptop* :wally:
Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmana
If I may ask stately plump buck mulligan why are you planning on this sort of surgery for a C to D change? To me it seem a rather trivial "upgrade" for that sort of money. As a male with a GF with "Cs" I don't need her to get any bigger than what my hand could hold Of course her body sports "Cs" perfectly. What is the size difference between the two anyways?

I've thought for a long time now that a fuller bustline would suit me well, but not too full, and I think the augmentation from a C to a D would look best on my body. I would like to even out the "hourglass" of my body just a bit more, and slightly larger breasts would strike a good balance with my hips. I don't think huge tits would look good on me at all, but a full D would look great on my (very tall) frame.

My boyfriend loves my breasts just as they are, but doesn't see a problem with my possibly getting implants as long as the procedure doesn't go horribly wrong.

I suppose it's the same idea behind women who get nose jobs that are so subtle as to go unnoticed by the majority of their friends and family: the outside world may think "why bother?," but the surgery is for yourself and it can make a world of difference.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

But how often does a parent get to boast "When she graduated, she was an A student, but now she's a C"?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:29 PM

... And after reading all the rather anti-implant sentiments in this thread, I thought I should just make clear that my self esteem is perfectly fine, if not a little over-inflated (uhhh no pun intended) at times. I don't think that larger breasts will get me farther in life (I'm going to be a high school English teacher, FFS!), I don't think they will buy me happiness, and I don't think I'm any less of a woman without them. It's the same way I think I'm beautiful without makeup, but still put it on most mornings just because I think it makes me look just a little bit better, a little more polished.

Breast implants may often be a sign of low self esteem or warped values, but this isn't always the case.

I still stand by my assertion that 18 year old girls should not be getting implants. Sure, we may consider it as a future option, but actually having the procedure done at such a young age is not smart and should not be condoned, much less financed, by parents.

On preview: @ Finagle's comment!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:47 PM

I'm graduating (college) in December and would love breast implants. A new car would be sweet, too.

I have to agree with Dung Beetle here. My parents were all about self-esteem and values and loving myself for who I am, but the kids at school were all about how ugly and fat I am. Guess which message still influences my life?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stately plump buck mulligan
I've thought for a long time now that a fuller bustline would suit me well, but not too full, and I think the augmentation from a C to a D would look best on my body. I would like to even out the "hourglass" of my body just a bit more, and slightly larger breasts would strike a good balance with my hips. I don't think huge tits would look good on me at all, but a full D would look great on my (very tall) frame.
Spend a long time deliberating, SPBM. Odds are good that unless you work out regularly, college (and the "freshman 15") will add a little to your bust. Also, realize that the bigger they are, the more likely you are to experience back and neck problems; waiting until your backpack carrying days are over is smart! I know two women who had absolutely lovely sets of D-cups, who had them reduced, and both of them are roughly your height. I absolutely understand that you want "just a little more," but consider clothing that shapes your figure, like corsets or padded or push-up bras, or any of the myriad fashion tricks like cap sleeves and V-necks that create the illusion of fuller breasts without the surgery.
Please please please think long and hard before making permanent changes to a good thing (or two).

Have you seen The Princess Bride? Good, then you know the quotation I'm trying to avoid using here. Take it to heart.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:48 PM

Based on the other thread, spbm, y'ain't got nuthin' lackin' from where I'm sitting.

Just sayin', is all.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
Whatever.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/L..._040615-1.html

Does this subject really require the snarky smilie because I didn't post a cite? I swear! I wasn't making it up!
Geez, a bit touchy are we? The smile wasn't snarky, it was a wink. The cite, I would guess, was an attempt at humor, possibly a humorous suggestion of seeing some "implants" first hand, if you get my meaning. Your knee jerk reaction to his joke shows you probably don't get my meaning, but whatever.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowval
Yeah, I know. I was just trying to compose the Hallmark card to go along with the gift.
"When you care to send the very breast."
Old 06-16-2004, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather
"When you care to send the very breast."
Old 06-16-2004, 10:39 PM

For pity's sake, sometimes a boob job is just a boob job.

My sister had breast augmentation surgery a couple of months ago. I never knew she wanted it, or noticed any self-esteem problems, just poof! "By the way Ashes, I'm now a small D cup instead of a AA cup." I asked why and it was simple: she's tall and has a medium large frame and was tired of looking unbalanced, and struggling to find clothing that fit properly, and looked good on her, that she found appealing as well.

Yes, some folks have plastic surgery for bad reasons, some people love themselves no matter what, and some people just want to deal with a body issue in a very direct manner and move on. That said, I'd have to do a lot of investigating, consulting with doctors, etc, before I okayed any such surgery for my kid.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle
But how often does a parent get to boast "When she graduated, she was an A student, but now she's a C"?
ROTFL
Old 06-17-2004, 07:53 AM

At 18, I was a 34B and very happy with it, I could make them bigger if I wanted (push up bra) but they weren't big enough to be a problem. When I was 19/20 they started to grow (may have had something to do with the pill, but I stopped that years ago and they haven't shrunk) and are now a 34 DD. I don't think I'm particularly unusual with this. What would happen if they started to grow if I had implants??? I suspect they would look rather odd, if not be painful.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:55 AM

Oh yeah, my parents bought me a very expensive suit for my (college) graduation. Much better for furthering my career!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:50 AM

stately plump, you do seem to have your head about you on the subject. That's very smart of you to set out a sensible plan of action on the matter. And congratulations on the upcoming graduation.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:30 AM

I'm going to chime in with what has already been said - eighteen is just a bad age. Not because these aren't women who can make decisions, but because their bodies aren't done growing yet. And breasts in particular have odd growth patterns (ask anyone who has breastfed). I, too, was much smaller chested at 18 than at 20. And smaller chested at 20 than at 24 - when I grew into my "womanly body" (and then had my daughter at 34 and that was the end of that). Even now, if I put on or loose weight, I'll see a change in my chest.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:34 PM

For those that encourage the parents to buy their daughters implants... how about their sons? Shouldn't penal implants for their son's graduation be equally supported?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
For those that encourage the parents to buy their daughters implants... how about their sons? Shouldn't penal implants for their son's graduation be equally supported?
Aren't those more unsafe than breast implants? I mean, I'm not an authority on the subject, but i'd be interested to hear about breast vs. penile implants and what the various and sundry risks are.

*bamf*