Heroes Assemble! All City of Heroes Discussion Here

There’s a thread on a Straight Dope Supergroup elsewhere in Cafe Society, but it is rather long now, and I thought there might be some people new to the game like myself that couldn’t wade through all that stuff, but wanted to talk about the game.

I’m very impressed with the game. I have played a little MMO games before. Not too much, though. I got tired of killing vampire rats or Goblin warriors in order to buy another suit of armor to kill bigger creatures. I’ve also always liked superheroes more than the D&D atmosphere in the popular games.

Further, there doesn’t seem to be much of any lag. I’ve never crashed or anything. The character creation tool is great as well.

What are your thoughts?

I play on the Triumph server under these names:

Capt. Aquarius (Blaster)
Captain Denmark (Blaster)
Ghost Soldier (Blaster, again)
Radiation Eater (Defender)
Blue Leviathan (Tanker, of course)
Yellow Devil (Scrapper)
Pink Floyd (Scrapper)
Mr. Spock (Defender)

And that’s the frequency with which I play 'em too.

If you find yourself there, look me up, and we can go a-huntin’ or sumthin.

The C.E.C.I.L. superteam is on Virtue. We’re open to SDMB members and others willing to fight ignorance. :slight_smile:

Linkage:
Our roster
Our messageboard
Our picture site

It’s a heck of a game. If you like PC games and superheroes, check it out. If you played Freedom Force at all and wondered what it would be like to do that with others, this is pretty much it.

I’m primarily on Victory, where I play:

Paragon (got the name, not happy with the powers, rerolling)
Flashpoint (blaster)
2XS (scrapper)
Carapace (scrapper)
Pyrotic (blaster)

Ahh, a fresh, new CoH thread.

Still mostly on Virtue, myself.

I just this weekend created a new character to play, after being struck by bizarre inspiration. Bovinity is a level 8 Energy/Energy Magic Blaster, with a fully cow-themed costume. His dialog with other PCs (including a pickup team I playe with for several hours today) consists entierly of variations on “Moo”.

I played as part of a team for the first time tonight. I’m kind of a solo person, but I kept getting my butt kicked in Perez Park. Capt. Aquarius is only a level 10 blaster. And since I’m a noob to this type of game, I’m sure I’m not playing him as well as I could. Any way, I had managed to accumulate about 950 in debt when I fell in with some more experienced players. About 45 minutes later, I was down to under 250. They were nice too. I died a couple times, and they gave (not sold) me resuscitations.

Playing with good people makes all the difference.

Obviously, I need to team up in order to stay alive in Perez Park.

I play on Victory as

Malcom Black - scrapper
DX9 Med Bot - defender
The Amazing Hero - Tank

Actually don’t bother talking with the Amazing Hero. He’s kind of an egotistical jerk.

I just bought the game on the 16th for Mr. Congo’s birthday. This game is really cool. So far, we’ve only played in Pinnacle server. I had a scrapper and a tanker but I wasn’t too happy with the way I was playing. I now have a Blaster named Chani. I really like her so far.
I’ve been in Perez Park once. I will NOT go back until I have no other options. When I did go there, I was a tanker named Rockfire. I teamed up with some nice people. I quickly realized that they were way above my level so after I died, I quit the team.
I haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like because it really is Mr. Congo’s game.
I didn’t really like playing on a team. I prefer to not have anyone relying on me.

One thing I hate about this game is some of the attitude I’ve seen. One player bitched me out for killing her guy. The character was so short and was standing behind the Hellion so I didn’t even know she was there until he was dead. Mr. Congo was called a F*&kwad by someone in Perez Park. He was looking for his team and a bad guy attacked him. So he turned around and killed the bad guy. He then got insulted by a member of another team. HELLO!!! He was being attacked. If he ran, the bad guy would have followed him. These people need to get over themselves and realize that it’s just a game.

Most the folks on Victory seem pretty cool. I’ve only been called a name once and that was when I tried to rescue a hero from about 20 gangers in Perez. Apparently, she though she had it under control. I thought she’d be dead within 60 seconds if I hadn’t distracted them. Despite that, I still try to save heroes who i think are introuble. I usually just try to taunt the bad guys or do one very low level attack to get their attention. Then I just let them pound on me while the other hero kills them or heals up a bit.

The folks that yelled out your husband were in the wrong. It’s one thing to steal a kill, but if you’ve lost control of the bad guy enough that he has the time to attack other folks than too bad. Self Defense wins out.

For the most part, the people on Pinnacle are very cool. My first day, I had a nice guy revive me and then chat with me for a few minutes. I was embarrased to have died and he told me that for a newbie I was actually doing pretty well. I also get a lot of compliments on my costume.

I had one person pissing me off yesterday though. I was trying to kill 10 Lost. I was down to 2 and it was taking me forever to find them. I finally found them and right before I killed the first one, someone else ran in and killed him. So I started on the next one. The jerk did the same thing. He waited until I almost killed the Lost and then he stole the kill from me. The same person did that to me again about half an hour later. It ended up taking me close to 2 hours to finish the mission because I couldn’t find them and my kills kept getting stolen. After getting bitched at on my first day, I can’t bring myself to say anything though.

I’ve had some folks steal kills from me, but it’s rare.

I limit my interference in battles to the occasional heal or helpful bubble if I have an appropriate powerset. I will occasionally ask folks if they need help - but being in the middle of battle, I doubt most of them have the time to type out a reply.

Looking forward to this weekend, I should have lots of time to play.

I wish there was a way to move a character to another server. I’d like to play with some Dopers, but I’ve put so much time in for my characters, I don’t know I can bear to start over again.
Perez Park is tough. I went there as a level 7 and got thoroughly womped. Same thing when I was a level 8. I resolved not to go back until I was a 10. Still getting my butt kicked, but at least I’m not a totally useless member of a team. I wish there was a middle level between King’s Row and Perez Park. King’s Row isn’t a challenge anymore and Perez is too much of a challenge. Oh well.

Yeah… the thing about Perez is that the enemies are in such large groups…

Yeesh. Oh well, sometime this week I’ll get back at it… the Eternal Ninja needs to reach level 10.

One of the nice things about being an empath defender is that people appreciate the random heal.

Last nigh my level 11 healer was running around Kings Row and ran into two level 7 guys dressed alike (they looked so cute, my first thought was “gay couple”) who were kind of beat up. I stood still long enough to knock off a couple of heals and they thanked me. They were lookng at a set of lost that were green and blue to me. So I told them I’d back them up. Let them do all the damage while I just stood between them and healed.

I’d guess they had the “defeat 10 lost” mission and, typical of missions at that level, were only running into targets that carried considerable risk.

It’s kind of hard to find a balance between helping out and interfering. I play a blaster most of the time, so it’s really easy to help… except that the only way I can help is to kill some of the bad guys. Sorry, “arrest.” :slight_smile:

As **Dangerosa ** points out, it’s a lot easier for Defenders (and healing Controllers) to help without interfering – just throw a heal or buff down and move on. Being helpful with a blaster, at least for me, means staying back for long enough to figure out how the fight is going. If it’s close, I’ll ask if the hero(es) need a hand. I then wait for an answer – and running away is usually sufficient answer.

If the fight is going really badly for the hero, I may just wade in without asking. In those circumstances, I apologize for interfering right away, in case I have trespassed. I have not yet been accused of killstealing, so I think I’m doing it right (Thermocline is level 16 now).

Update’s coming to servers! Woo!

Is it? I heard it was still too buggy.

AndrewL - What server is Bovinity on? If (s)he’s on virtue, (s)he may qualify for membership in Gaia’s Guardians. Send a /tell to Dimsdale.

If you find yourself in a Circle of Thorns temple, and run into a room that has many pillars in a 10x10 grid, don’t run along the edge. The floor doesn’t meet up with the wall, and you can fall about 300 yards down into a pit. This screenshot is taken looking up from the bottom of the pit.

The response to a petition? “Try /stuck”. Yeah, chief, moving a few inches is going to get me out of here.

Fortunately, judicious application of Teleport Self got me to a point where my body was clipping through the plane of the floor (or ceiling, depending on your point of view) and I could then port against a surface above.

Rassin’ frassin’…

As a Scrapper, I can help without hitting. If someone’s getting hit hard, I taunt the foe over to me. Then jump around avoiding getting within melee range.

As Volt Valkyrie (a Kinetics Defender) I love giving Speed Boosts to random heroes I see. (Speed Boost buffs movement, recharge, and endurance recovery.) The only complaints I’ve received are from Fulgur. I’ve even stood by the exit of a T for 5-10 minutes, Speed Boosting everyone who comes out. Lots of fun.

I figure it’s good publicity for Kinetics Defenders, since too many people think of Empathy when they think of Defenders. Got to show them the benefits of the other Defenders.